Home Cigar 101
Options

My Stogies are soft!!

It was very humid up here in the north east for like a week my digi hygo was reading 74%rh so i took out the humidifier drop down to 70%, now its been at 70 degrees F 68% RH for about 2 almost 3 weeks now my sticks are sticks are softer than i want them to be...does it just take a long time for them to get to that nice slightly soft crackle? dying to have a smoke here!!!

Comments

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    a soggy stick? No man should ever have to go through that.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    My humidity is always at 71%... my sticks are not soft. So I am not sure if that is the reason why your cigars are soft. Experts?

• Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    have you calibrated your hygro recently??
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rijokerred:
    It was very humid up here in the north east for like a week my digi hygo was reading 74%rh so i took out the humidifier drop down to 70%, now its been at 70 degrees F 68% RH for about 2 almost 3 weeks now my sticks are sticks are softer than i want them to be...does it just take a long time for them to get to that nice slightly soft crackle? dying to have a smoke here!!!
    Hmmm, well I know that a 70/70 won't make your cigars soggy or soft. I do know that at that set up or even higher you will have softer cigars than say at 65/60. Maybe our resident expert kuzster can give you more info but I know in my tubs and humi's I have been reading a steady 75 or so degrees with about 59-64RH. My sticks are hardish (yeah pun intended). Hope this helps.
  • Options
    i guess i can... but its been 3 weeks they are in the box with no humidifier, figure they shouldnt be as soft as they are, ill do a salt test just to confirm, ill let you know what happens
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    how soft are we talking here? my cigars when over humidified ususally get bulged. there should NOT be a crackle, if it crackles when you squeeze, like the sound of crushed leaves then they are too dry. there may be some very slight crackling sound if you squeeze a cigar just right.
  • Options
    My guess is your hygrometer is off. A few weeks ago I noticed my sticks were all a little soft, even though my hygro read 68rh. I calibrated it only to find out that my cigars had been sitting at about 74rh rather than 68. The moral of the story is, get a digital hygrometer.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Also check each cigar.... I have a 5-er of Cuba Libre's and they are like SPONGY to say the least... each one is the same, so I'm not too worried, but yeah, they are the softest thing I've ever had in my hand..... (Well that BIG anyway)
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Its ok Lassy, someone has to be on the lower end of the length spectrum.
  • Options
    Garen B:
    Its ok Lassy, someone has to be on the lower end of the length spectrum.
    A good day is Petit Perfecto that goes to Robusto....
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Many of my thoughts were asked here .. How soft is soft. I like my cigars to be a little spongy but not like a marshmallow.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Many of my thoughts were asked here .. How soft is soft. I like my cigars to be a little spongy but not like a marshmallow.
    I'll GLADLY TRADE YOU MY CUBA LIBRE'S!!!! I'd take some Opus X or some GOF's...... PM your ADDY!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ..ummm What Lassie ? No GOF'S but a few Opus X.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    ..ummm What Lassie ? No GOF'S but a few Opus X.
    Make sure they aren't soggy!
  • Options
    that very very slight cracklying sound the digi humi is dead on 75% with the salt test i just is just taking a little bit for them to recover, they are getting better... Only my Alec Bradley Tempus Sticks have been stiff the whole time, they wont let up for nothing ever since i bought them from c.com they been stuff, guess thats just how they are ima burn one of those when i get home...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Also check each cigar.... I have a 5-er of Cuba Libre's and they are like SPONGY to say the least... each one is the same, so I'm not too worried, but yeah, they are the softest thing I've ever had in my hand..... (Well that BIG anyway)
    lol, ummmm if you need some help there's a blue pill that you can get...
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    rijokerred:
    that very very slight cracklying sound the digi humi is dead on 75% with the salt test i just is just taking a little bit for them to recover, they are getting better... Only my Alec Bradley Tempus Sticks have been stiff the whole time, they wont let up for nothing ever since i bought them from c.com they been stuff, guess thats just how they are ima burn one of those when i get home...
    The AB Tempus are very hard sticks. Very similar to the Forum Blend sticks. The Tempus will burn perfectly if the RH is in the proper range regardless of the hardness of the stick.

These have quickly become a favorite of mine.
    What is the RH of your humi?
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    rijokerred:
    Has anyone made a **** joke yet?
  • Options
    betasynn:
    rijokerred:
    Has anyone made a **** joke yet?
    Well not until now Beta.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all you "yungin's" around, Laker and I are the only ones who have an excuse for a soft stogie!
  • Options
    YankeeMan:
    With all you "yungin's" around, Laker and I are the only ones who have an excuse for a soft stogie!
    I beg your pardon. Dude if you have problems that fine, but why pick on me !!! LMAO

(grumling to myself) *uckin guy, trin' to give me some sort of complex. Just cause he has a soft stick...., insinuating I am old... who the *uck does he think he is anyway? LMAO
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    rijokerred:
    i guess i can... but its been 3 weeks they are in the box with no humidifier, figure they shouldnt be as soft as they are, ill do a salt test just to confirm, ill let you know what happens
    When too much moisture is added too fast to a dry cigar, the filler tobacco expands more rapidly than the wrapper. So the guts of the cigar swell and the wrapper splits, which renders the cigar unsmokable. A cigar should never be subjected to such radical swings in humidity. (That's why putting a cigar in the bathroom with the hot shower running is a bad, bad idea.)
    If the wrapper somehow survives the humidity assault, then you should slowly remove the excess moisture. Take several cedar dividers that are used to layer cigars in a box, and place them in a Zip-lock bag with the damp cigar. The cedar will begin to absorb the excess moisture from the cigar's filler. After approximately 48 hours, the absorption process should be complete. Remove the cigar from the bag and place it on the bottom of your humidor, then forget about it.
    Two or three months from now, the cigar should be properly revived to a more harmonious balance of humidity between the three elements -- filler, binder and wrapper.
    Do not be surprised if the wrapper is rippled or wavy after this procedure. The rippling is usually the result of extreme variations in storage conditions. (That's something to remember if you ever come across cigars with rippled wrappers in a cigar shop -- that's a sign of a retailer who improperly stored the cigars in fluctuating humidity conditions.)
    Fixing a cigar takes time, and can't be rushed.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    the humi is a steady 68% rh, i still have the humidifier out of the humidor for over a month now i think my apt is helping keep the humidity up the ab tempus was awesome im definitely grabbing 5 more sticks i smoked one while i was watching the pats ravens game im looking to try the padilla obsidian and hoyo excalibur 1066!!
  • Options
    I have noticed that most box pressed cigars are softer than traditional round bodied cigars....anyone feel the same?
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    AQUADGIO1200:
    I have noticed that most box pressed cigars are softer than traditional round bodied cigars....anyone feel the same?
    Which boxed-pressed cigars are you smoking?
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    YankeeMan:
    I beg your pardon. Dude if you have problems that fine, but why pick on me !!! LMAO

(grumling to myself) *uckin guy, trin' to give me some sort of complex. Just cause he has a soft stick...., insinuating I am old... who the *uck does he think he is anyway? LMAO
    Us old folks have to stick together!
  • Options
    betasynn:
    AQUADGIO1200:
    Which boxed-pressed cigars are you smoking?
    Whether it be the Perdomo2's, Oliva G's, Tatiana Mocha's or India Tabac's.....i have just noticed when you pinch them they seem & feel alittle softer than round cigars.....maybe its due to the square design?? By me saying this....they are NOT over humidified or have a loose draw....they smoke just fine. Or maybe its my imagination....lol