Home General Discussion
Options

Cameroon Recommendations

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
Well, I have had a couple, but no great amounts. It is time to broaden my horizons. I was wondering what ones you fine folks enjoy the most.

I was also going to experiment, given Urbino's suggestion that a smaller ring gauge has a greater wrapper to filler ratio, and the effects on flavor; usually I am a Robusto and/or Toro man.

Well, fire away!

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Rocky Patel Summer Collection, well its a Cameroon binder with a Habano wrapper but I had to plug it. Have you had the Nub Cameroon yet? That'll be a good test of your wrapper theory
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I liked the CAO cx2, that was a very pleasant smoke. How bout the Hemingway, those sport a cameroon wrapper and are quite tasty.

I finally got my first Nub today.... how the hell do you smoke a 66 ring gauge? That thing is massive, break my damn jaw trying to chomp on that.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I second the Nub and Hemingway suggestions. Based on having tried just one of each Nub, the Cameroon seems to be by far the tastiest. I dunno if that's all due to the wrapper (which would tend to falsify my theory), or if there are filler differences, too.
    j0z3r:
    That thing is massive, break my damn jaw trying to chomp on that.
    If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    doesnt cigar.com make a cameroon label? i hear that its good.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I wasn't impressed with the CCOM cameroon. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either.

The most memorable cameroon that I have had was the La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994. It was a really good cigar and is a smaller ring gauge. They only come in corona 5 x 44. I recommend it.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    My $.02 is the Oliva G Cameroon. It's my favorite cigar. Smooth, med-bodiedwith fuller flavor.
  • Options
    I think I got one of those in my Oliva sampler, Andy. May just have to try it tonight. The maduro was excellent.
  • Options
    I haven't tried the G Maduro yet. I smoked plenty of the cameroons though. I have had an O cameroon and aV also which was just outstanding. I will be trying more when I get home. What did you think of the Maduro?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    in all reality the best cameroon that i have had was the Cx2. but dont look to me as the guy who knows this one. im not a huge cameroon fan. i also liked the nepalese Warrior, but what do you expect from a guy that gave the regent a 92. (the NW is the regent but with a cameroon wrapper. I gave it a 90)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi./ joe I love the CX2.. Good pick for a nice example of Cameroon cigars..
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    I haven't tried the G Maduro yet. I smoked plenty of the cameroons though. I have had an O cameroon and aV also which was just outstanding. I will be trying more when I get home. What did you think of the Maduro?
    I enjoyed heck out of it. Had a really nice coffee flavor, as I recall. The details are in my log.

As for Cameroons in general, I'd be hard pressed to pick between Cameroon and Maduro as my favorite wrapper. Or, at least, a lot of my favorite cigars seem to have one of those wrappers.
  • Options
    I can't believe I forgot to mention the Oliva Serie G cameroon... I've been plugging that cigar every chance I get it seems.
  • Options
    You know what? I think the Oliva G I smoked was the Cameroon, not the Maduro.

I went to my humi to get the G Cameroon that comes in the Oliva sampler, and there wasn't one. Then I looked at the pictures on ccom, and I saw that the Oliva G Cameroon is unusually dark for a Cameroon. I think that's what I smoked, and the G I have left is the Maduro (even darker).

So count me among the Oliva G Cameroon fans, too. I need to go back and correct the entry in my log.
  • Options
    And I have about 4 left from my sampler...so tomorrows smoke while camerroon madness has me in its grip, and tonights is still fresh in the memory ;)
  • Options
    I'm down to one left here in the desert. I go home in 5 weeks so I will be grabbing a lot for my return. I can't go without thase again. Has anyone else had the Master Blend 3 from Oliva, it's a terrific smoke also.
  • Options
    bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I personally enjoy cameroons, and one that stands out for is the perdomo reserve cameroon. The stick has a nice chocolatey smell out the cello and burns very nicely.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

A couple or three I like that you may not have considered:

Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend.  Nice flavor and excellent value. Got some on auction (Grand Robusto size) for $7 for a 5 pack

H. Uppman Vintage Cameroon - got a box of the petite coronas some time ago. It is a great cigar and usually runs about $90/box. I got mine on special for about $55 I think.

Gurkha Nepalese Warrior.

• Options
    All great recommendations guys. I have not had an H.Uppman in years, but used to enjoy their coronas, i may have to put a 5er on the list. has anyone tried the Torano 1916 Cameroon? I absolutely love their Exodus 1959, and so wonder if their other lines are as tasty. Too bad thier sampler is sold out :(
  • Options
    And just saw that Cusano has a very nice looking Cameroon as well. Anyone sample that one? I may just call up C.Com and see what they can do for me in a Cameroon sampler. I wish they had samplers like this, tailored to a style instead of a brand.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    They used to have those kind of samplers, I remember they could never keep the maduro sampler in stock. I wonder what happened.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Yeah I remember those wrapper type samplers too. One thing you could do is the build your own sampler and use the feature where you can sort by wrapper type.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    As mentioned, the Oliva G's are awesome. My buddy swears by the Don Tomas Cameroon Collection. It seems they are getting scarce, but at least some sizes can still be found pretty easily.
  • Options
    Smoke=Fire:
    And just saw that Cusano has a very nice looking Cameroon as well. Anyone sample that one? I may just call up C.Com and see what they can do for me in a Cameroon sampler. I wish they had samplers like this, tailored to a style instead of a brand.
    Is that the one that came with the CotMC in one of the two past months? I tried the Habano that came with that one on the 4th but haven't gotten to the Cameroon yet. If it's anything like the habano it should be quite tasty though.
  • Options
    After my cigar earlier today, i can recommend the Torano cameroon 1916. Quite a nice cigar that begs some more tasting.... a request i'll be more than happy to oblige. :)
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Try the new cameroon staff picks sampler. It is available for sale at cigar.com under the featured samplers area or use the search and type in cameroon sampler.