Home Non Cigar Related
Options

A free hearing test....

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
....is what the flyer says. So I called and I was one of the first 50 (imagine that) to get a free appointment for a free test. Now, my hearing "problem" has been with me since the military and it has served me well. And of course being an "apprentice" gun smith only made it worse, or better, depending on your point of view.

Now the question arises, if they find something wrong (I am sure they will) do I have it fixed or continue to say things like "I'm sorry sweetheart but I never heard you say anything about it", or "gee I never heard you". Free with a potential problem.....gosh darn it.

What do you experienced and worldly good folks think..?

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I also have declining hearing(too much time on the flight deck and on the line around turning aircraft). First thing I would be wary of is the word "free". If it's free, they're going to try and sell you something. Not many hearing problems can be "fixed" minus hearing aids(especially when it's related to high decibel hearing loss like ours), and that's where the sell comes in. I know if it is bad enough, your healthcare plan might pick up the cost but I do t know what each company's threshold is.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son is deaf and our insurance pays for new hearing aids every 3 years.
    But he's gotten to the point where he hardly wears them.

My hearing has taken a beating from diesel engines from working on them in the engine room our the fishing vessels we had, working on trucks and heavy equipment.
    Now they tell me I've had "significant" hearing loss. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that after the hearing test they'll offer you an "amazing deal" on a"Miracle Ear" or something similar, with a HUGE DISCOUNT from its retail price of $10,000 to ONLY $2,500! How could you POSSIBLY pass that up?

I know when my hearing started to go. When I was playing in a band in college and after college and after years of going to overcranked concerts at small clubs. Today, my "mid-range" hearing is totally shot. I can hear low frequencies and high frequencies but nearly everything in the middle is a muddle. At a party or busy restaurant I can barely hear anyone at the table. I just nod and smile a lot.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took the test...complete and lots of different steps. Self prognosis confirmed...bot ears are perfectly matched in hearing degradation. No hard sell at all, in fact didn't try to sell me anything. But I do need 2 hearing aids and I will go back as soon as I check with my insurance carrier.
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    A gentle roll-off of high frequencies is normal. As you probably know, spiked losses in the mid-range (1kHz-5kHz) can be a problem with hearing/interpreting others. Tinnitus issues ended my participation in rock bands in my late 40s and I wear serious ear protection when at the range or doing loud dB yard work. Hope your situation stays acceptable and your ears stay healthy!
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    My dad finally got aids after years of us asking him to get checked and dealing with his "Why does everyone mumble???" complaints. :) He's so much happier now that he can hear clearly again, but it did take him a while to be able to tune out background noise again. I don't remember how much his plan paid for, but it was a pretty good portion and his plan sucked on most other stuff.