Home General Discussion
Options

Morning smokers?

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, those of you who enjoy a cigar in the morning, what's your favorite stick with a cup of coffee?
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's funny, I was just thinking about this. (Just now,.... in the minute before I logged on.) I've never been much of a morning smoker. I have never smoked with my first cup of coffee. A few times I have smoked later in the morning with coffee and enjoyed it a lot. But in practice I'm usually an after-dinner smoker. I really enjoy an afternoon smoke but not nearly as often as in the evening.

Favorite morning stick? Based on the few times I have smoked in the AM,........ Cuesta-Rey Stanford's Cameroon Reserve. Also, I would take a good connecticut wrappered cigar. Arturo Fuente Seleccion D'Oro comes to mind. Any Fuente conny might be good. Maybe I'll have a cigar this morning. LOL
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    avo classic no.9
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    So, those of you who enjoy a cigar in the morning, what's your favorite stick with a cup of coffee?
    Just about Any Connie.....Angelenos, monte white, & most recently davidoff 3x3

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Ive turned to pipe smoking in the morning.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I've never been able to first thing in the morning. Even as a cigarette smoker, I never smoked until I've been up, had breakfast, and ready to go for the day. But later when I do, say 10 or 11-ish, it's a mild one like a gold or Casa Tora
  • Options
    BPGuyBPGuy Posts: 7
    I've been known to smoke one at 9 or 9:30ish, when time allows. I don't have a special preference for morning vs. afternoon. So far, I like to buy sampler packs, and don't have a lot of any one smoke on hand. "Next up!" :D
  • Options
    I've never smoked in the morning before, but today I decided to give it a try. Don't have many conny sticks in my collection, so I picked out a Makaleha that I got in a trade from Ryan the Hawaiian (twothingism). I must say that I couldn't have made a better choice!

This stick was wonderful. Good construction and a nice, even draw. No harshness on the retrohale...

It's a mild to medium cigar, with nice notes of earth and cinnamon. Produced creamy white smoke, and was nicely complemented by a hot cup of black coffee.

Moving through the second half of the stick, the flavor intensified somewhat, but was never overpowering. The draw remained consistent, with a long ash that would have hung on for over half of the cigar if it hadn't been for a strong gust of wind...

This was a thoroughly enjoyable smoke, and I'm glad I selected it for my maiden voyage into morning cigar indulgence. As I write these lines, there is a lingering sweetness on my lips, like I've just enjoyed a fine breakfast pastry. Thanks, Ryan, for this Saturday morning treat!

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics! It was like I was there smoking with you...
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed your morning cigar! Morning smokes are sometimes the most enjoyable for me. I like to go with a connie (avo, san lotano, mario palomino) or something a little sweet. Today is a cao brazilia. I have also enjoyed the DE tabak redeyes occasionally.

I usually dont eat breakfast so I dont go for stronger sticks, but sometimes a good peppery don pepin is great in the morning. dpg Cuban classic or a little maduro padron.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics. Make a me want to go out on the deck and smoke right now. But my bed is damn damn warm...
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Echambers:
    Great pics. Make a me want to go out on the deck and smoke right now. But my bed is damn damn warm...
    Just light one up in bed!
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    All those pictures did for me was tell me that you need a Stogie Stand! I think I have an extra around here somewhere.....
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    When I do have the morning smoke I generally pare them opposite each other. Stronger coffee milder stick, stronger stick milder coffee. I grind my own coffee beans and sometimes the smell of the fresh grind helps me pick the cigar. Time is a factor also.
  • Options
    Tyland64:
    When I do have the morning smoke I generally pare them opposite each other. Stronger coffee milder stick, stronger stick milder coffee. I grind my own coffee beans and sometimes the smell of the fresh grind helps me pick the cigar. Time is a factor also.
    That's a great idea! I think I kind of accomplished that with this pairing. The contrasting flavors were definitely a plus.

SleevePlz:
    All those pictures did for me was tell me that you need a Stogie Stand! I think I have an extra around here somewhere.....
    I'm good, bro. I've got two of Daniel's awesome stogie stands. Didn't need to use one this morning, cause I had my ashtray handy. Thanks for thinking of me though. You just concentrate on recovering from your thermonuclear strike. ;^)
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    I've only done it once lol but the Perdomo Lot23 was super with coffee.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I love my morning cigar and a walk. My palate is usually wide open so I like to try new stuff. Strength doesn't really matter as long as it's not an Opus X. Nothing to drink really, just the cigar and a stroll through Mid-town. This morning it's a Flor de las Antillas (forgot how good this was), but no walk just some gardening.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the time early morning is my only quite time, this is when I can relax and really enjoy a good smoke. I don't really have a morning fav, today was a El Centurion, the DPG Blue, Air Bender or L'atelier are always a good start. I rarely smoke the same stick twice in a week.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    On the weekends in the summers I usually have a stick with coffee if I don't have anything going on. I prefer the milder sticks with a light finish that don't leave my palate coated for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭

^^^^this^^^^
    Park Avenue, 3x3, Virtue...just to name a few. Love Coffee and Connie mornings.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Avo classic or xo, davidoff, davidoff 3x3, habanos, Angelenos
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    I do enjoy my connies with my java. I am currently trying to find a nice smooth,creamy,nutty stick that doesn't break the bank. So far my favorite with coffee is the Avo classic. The price tag prohibits it as an everyday smoke unfortunately. The 3x3 is nice, the davidoff long filler private stock is another I enjoy. Had been smoking the Virtues lately but the just dont have the balance that I desire,just a harshness that doesn't fit my palette I guess. The oliva connie reserve is good but again, not quite what I'm looking for. Oh well on with the quest !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    I've never smoked in the morning before, but today I decided to give it a try. Don't have many conny sticks in my collection, so I picked out a Makaleha that I got in a trade from Ryan the Hawaiian (twothingism). I must say that I couldn't have made a better choice!

This stick was wonderful. Good construction and a nice, even draw. No harshness on the retrohale...

It's a mild to medium cigar, with nice notes of earth and cinnamon. Produced creamy white smoke, and was nicely complemented by a hot cup of black coffee.

Moving through the second half of the stick, the flavor intensified somewhat, but was never overpowering. The draw remained consistent, with a long ash that would have hung on for over half of the cigar if it hadn't been for a strong gust of wind...

This was a thoroughly enjoyable smoke, and I'm glad I selected it for my maiden voyage into morning cigar indulgence. As I write these lines, there is a lingering sweetness on my lips, like I've just enjoyed a fine breakfast pastry. Thanks, Ryan, for this Saturday morning treat!

Been thinking about this myself lately since I'm an early riser and the wife and daughter are not. Haven't really found a conny that I've liked, but those pictures made me feel like I was right there with you!
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    curtpick:
    I do enjoy my connies with my java. I am currently trying to find a nice smooth,creamy,nutty stick that doesn't break the bank. So far my favorite with coffee is the Avo classic. The price tag prohibits it as an everyday smoke unfortunately. The 3x3 is nice, the davidoff long filler private stock is another I enjoy. Had been smoking the Virtues lately but the just dont have the balance that I desire,just a harshness that doesn't fit my palette I guess. The oliva connie reserve is good but again, not quite what I'm looking for. Oh well on with the quest !
    Have you tried the Mario palominos? They are really smooth and have a toasty round taste. On clearance now for ab $2 ea.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    Why not the Lot 23? You did suggest it to me, and I loved it. Also, what about the Hyde Park? Seems reasonable enough but I know they're hit-or-miss with most around here.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Puff_Dougie:

Been thinking about this myself lately since I'm an early riser and the wife and daughter are not. Haven't really found many connies that I've liked, but those pictures made me feel like I was right there with you!
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    curtpick:
    Have you tried the Mario palominos? They are really smooth and have a toasty round taste. On clearance now for ab $2 ea.
    Ya know I did but its been a loooong time ago. Going to have to revisit them Gray ! thanks
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love connys with my morning joe. During the weekdays when I don't have much time I'll go with gold nugget. The weekends I usually smoke a CLE Connecticut. Very good smoke. I had a Griffins cigar this morning and it was very good as well.
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Cusano M1 robusto. 2.00 a stick. I think they are made in the same factory as Avo. Charlie
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    Ive turned to pipe smoking in the morning.
    Same. Capt. Black Royal. It's like having dark chocolate with your coffee.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    I love my morning cigar and a walk. My palate is usually wide open so I like to try new stuff. Strength doesn't really matter as long as it's not an Opus X. Nothing to drink really, just the cigar and a stroll through Mid-town. This morning it's a Flor de las Antillas (forgot how good this was), but no walk just some gardening.
    Hey, I smoked my first Opus X on a morning!

I wanted my palate to be fresh.

Lot 23 would kick my butt in the AM. Those things make me puke.

For a classic Connie and Coffee, I love the Oliva Connecticut Reserve. For cheap coffee on the go, nothing really beats the ccom American. Long fillers on a house blend that is pretty good, but I don't feel bad if I have to toss it. While it's not a connie, the San Cristobal Elegencia has a pretty mild and light colored wrapper that I love in the morning.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.