Home Cigar 101
Options

Bleeding a lighter: one specific question

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
(I've searched through old threads and I can't find the answer so,....here's the question. Also, I apologize if I have asked this before and simply forgot the answer.)

When bleeding a lighter, what about any liquid fuel left in the tank? Does that ever need to be removed/bled/drained? I can assume that it doesn't need to be removed, but in all I have read on the subject, nobody seems to acknowledge it one way or the other.

Comments

• Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Is this to empty the lighter so you can safely ship it? Then yes you need to get all the liquid fuel out.

If your just bleeding off the pressure in it to refuel it? Then no, you can leave what is in there in there and fill it up with the can of fuel. No sense in wasting the last little bit of fuel in a lighter to refill it.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    If one is going to recharge their lighter once you start the process you will want to Purge everything prior to refilling the tank because of two things:

1. When recharging it's a good idea to let everything out of the tank only because it might have contaminants in the fuel so when you recharge you want to start with an empty tank.
    2. Ensure that you fill the tank with quality butane...I recommend 5X refined butane because it has fewer contaminates and your lighter will work better.

I use a tool call the Butane Screw Thing which works excellent to purge your lighters. Purge until you no longer hear the hisssssss of the fluid. Ensure you refill the tank so that you aren't recharging by bending the nozzle...that means you are charging the tank with O2 at the same time...it takes practice to recharge cleanly and that is something that does take some practice. You'll get good at it in time but if done wrong all you're doing is recharging with air mixed with the butane and that is what causes your lighter to spit and spurt. http://butanescrewthing.com/
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    I guess there is more science to it than I thought. But even using my cheap ($6 to $7ish) torch lighters I don’t have a problem.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    If you're having problems finding a small screwdriver or similar to bleed your lighter, never attempt to use a ball point pen. The valve pushes the ball in and the gas will blow ink back on your hand.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    If you're having problems finding a small screwdriver or similar to bleed your lighter, never attempt to use a ball point pen. The valve pushes the ball in and the gas will blow ink back on your hand.
    I can't imagine how you know this, but I want photos.

I've got an old cigar box from something corona sized to keep all my extra lighters, matches, punches, etc. in. Small screwdriver stays in there for bleeding purposes.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to use Q tips I've seen valves get chewed up using anything metal...plus the cotton helps stop from getting frost finger
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    bbass2:
    Nothing feels better than to have that butane freeze your fingers off, right? That's why I bought that tool I talked about because of what you alluded to...the ButaneScrewThing is such a great tool that it purges any lighter and also is a tool that turns the adjustment screw very easily w/o stripping the head. Nice thing about the tool is that it comes with a key chain...that way you won't lose it easily.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    you can also use a match.....normally perfect size.

to answer the original question, i purge until the liquid comes out every other day i smoke and once a month i remove everything. Haven't had a lighter go bad yet.

i also use compressed air to blow out where the flame is located to get out any buildup or ash that might fall in there.
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    you can also use a match.....normally perfect size.

to answer the original question, i purge until the liquid comes out every other day i smoke and once a month i remove everything. Haven't had a lighter go bad yet.

i also use compressed air to blow out where the flame is located to get out any buildup or ash that might fall in there.
    Ditto this....compressed air is your friend and use it once a month at least to keep the critters out of the lighters. There are those who think that purging once gets all the butane out...it doesn't. Purge at least 2 to 3 times until you no longer hear any of the hiss.