Home General Discussion
Options

When you buy a box of cigars....

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
.....and you want to keep the cigars in that box, and you do not have a humidor big enough to hold the box, and you don't want to buy a coolidor, is there a method to keep the humidity at a safe level..? Not talking about the run of the mill boxes but the more ornate wood boxes like the Pueblo Dominicano and the La Herencia Cubana boxes. Both of these were gifts and I would like to keep them out to be seen. And I also want them to get some age om them before I light one up.

Comments

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    If they have a good enough seal you could add a small humidifying device and it would basically be a humidor.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I guess you could take some humi-pillows and put the boxes in double ziploc bags. I would just use an old cooler with some beads though.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Just throw the box into a cheap piece of tupperware and throw in a boveda pak that will keep it at a percentage you like. I wouldn't trust a box of cigars to hold up to anything cheaper than that kind of humidification. I'd cut off the cellophane wrapping around the box and then let the whole box sit in the tupperware.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    most of the boxes are not airtight and thus will not make good humidors. There really isn't a way to make a box like that into a humidor either.

you can always take a few out and throw a boveda or a water pillow in there and toss the hydrometer in there to see if it holds humidity, but I don't think it will.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    Just throw the box into a cheap piece of tupperware and throw in a boveda pak that will keep it at a percentage you like. I wouldn't trust a box of cigars to hold up to anything cheaper than that kind of humidification. I'd cut off the cellophane wrapping around the box and then let the whole box sit in the tupperware.
    plus one on this. No way I'd trust a box to hold humidity. If you want to leave the boxes out to "show" you're best off emptying them and displaying them empty.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Boveda and ziplock two great inventions that work well together!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big ol tupperware seals tight and throw in a Boveda.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    dennisking:
    I guess you could take some humi-pillows and put the boxes in double ziploc bags. I would just use an old cooler with some beads though.
    This ^^^
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    jsnake:
    Big ol tupperware seals tight and throw in a Boveda.
    and this ^^^
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Open it, put the sticks in a big zip-loc with a water pillow. Display box wherever you like. :D
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This small problem has been solved.

Wife liked the boxes and has taken ownership. Can't argue, she has after all, been known to buy me cigars. They will now hold some artsy stuff.

Cigars have been placed in a humidor and are resting comfortably.