Home Non Cigar Related

Some freakin good news for a change.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have posted my share of bad news and I think it only fitting I post what could be some very good news for my wife. I hope you don't mind.

Try to make this as short as possible.
I met my wife on the internet when I was heavy into collecting fountain pens. She is a OOAK quill pen and other stuff artist. It is how she supported her family. We e-malied, then phoned and finally I drove to her home and we met face to face. We got married in Concord S Carolina and our wedding dinner was chicken gizzards from a gas station. Best gizzards I ever had. I went back home. 3 months later I retired and moved to TN. Now, she had spent years building a rock solid reputation and her stuff was going all over the world. So we built a studio and research library for her and a workshop for me. We would have had at least 2 employees including a glass blower and wood carver (a skill I was trying to learn).

Tornado.

All the finished product and all the consignment supplies were gone, and eventually so was her reputation. 10s of 1000s of dollars in equipment and materials just plain gone. That was 8 years ago, and finally there is a really small bit of light starting to show. She just finished a rather big custom order for a wedding, and 4 years ago she did some custom quill pens for a writers society (Unicorn Writers Conference) and they have been back every year. A week ago she was hired by another writers society (Cincinnati Shakespeare Company) for more quill pens.....I love word of mouth. Hope you guys don't mind a little showing off.

imageimage

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one heck of an arcane gig. Who'd a thunk there's money in that? Great news when someone gets to do what they love.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    Good to hear some good news and tell your wife the pens are beautiful! Nice work!
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about all the mishaps, but God granted yall patients and now its paying off. Good luck to the both of you in the future.
    One God, One Truth
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice man I hope things work out for the best!
    Money can't buy taste
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great talent right there!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always like good news and those pics look great. Hope things continue to stay positive.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope the good luck keeps rolling in!! Those are some beautiful pens!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear. And yes those are beautiful pens. Can a novice use a fountain pen without making a mess? Just curious.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very glad to hear this brother! Congrats to your wife ,nice to see good people having some good things happening! Very nice looking pic too.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Good to hear. And yes those are beautiful pens. Can a novice use a fountain pen without making a mess? Just curious.

Oh heck yea.....its the quill pens that take some getting use to.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    I'm glad to hear things are turning around for you. Keep your chin up, clear skies are on the horizon.