Home Cigar 101
Options

Seasoning/Setting up tupperdor

Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
I know these questions have been asked several times before. I've spent a little time searching around the forums, and found some information, but I didn't really find the answer I'm looking for.

My first question is this: My shipment of Nica Libres is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Along with it, the CCOM humidification set. Would it be wise to go ahead and line the walls of my tupperware with a cigar box, and season it to have it ready, or should I wait? I wouldn't have the hygrometer, so I'm not sure if I should go ahead and do it.

Also, is there anything that any of you could suggest to help make the seal more airtight?

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    I know these questions have been asked several times before. I've spent a little time searching around the forums, and found some information, but I didn't really find the answer I'm looking for.

My first question is this: My shipment of Nica Libres is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. Along with it, the CCOM humidification set. Would it be wise to go ahead and line the walls of my tupperware with a cigar box, and season it to have it ready, or should I wait? I wouldn't have the hygrometer, so I'm not sure if I should go ahead and do it.

Also, is there anything that any of you could suggest to help make the seal more airtight?
    The lining of the cooler is a nice touch, but not necessary (unless you LOOOOVE the smell of cedar!)

The seasoning isn't necessary either for the cigars in the mail usually tend to be at 70% so when you make your coolerdor it'll season as your sticks breathe out some moisture..

Unless your like me and too excited and are going to do before anyway!!!
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Matt Marvel:

You dont want your seal 100%. A little air exchange is good.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    yea, when I close the lid completely on my tupper stuff the humidity go up and up and up, so I just leave it kinda loose, ajar if you will and that does the trick.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Matt Marvel:

The lining of the cooler is a nice touch, but not necessary (unless you LOOOOVE the smell of cedar!)

The seasoning isn't necessary either for the cigars in the mail usually tend to be at 70% so when you make your coolerdor it'll season as your sticks breathe out some moisture..

So I should just be able to throw my cigars in with no issue? I have a few pillows I can put in there for now to store what I have. When I get the set, I should be able to just activate the humidification device and calibrate the hygrometer, then I'm good to go, correct?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Matt Marvel:
    Lasabar:
    Matt Marvel:

So I should just be able to throw my cigars in with no issue? I have a few pillows I can put in there for now to store what I have. When I get the set, I should be able to just activate the humidification device and calibrate the hygrometer, then I'm good to go, correct?
    In a word?...YUP
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Matt Marvel:
    Lasabar:
    Matt Marvel:

In a word?...YUP
    This is going to be easier than I thought then. Thanks for the help guys!
  • Options
    Should I be too worried if my temp is reading 74 degrees? Right now my hygrometer is reading 74/69. That just seems.. odd to me.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    Should I be too worried if my temp is reading 74 degrees? Right now my hygrometer is reading 74/69. That just seems.. odd to me.
    74*F isn't Horrible, just make sure it stays beloe 75-76*F, but your Rh seems fine.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Matt Marvel:
    74*F isn't Horrible, just make sure it stays beloe 75-76*F, but your Rh seems fine.
    The Rh is showing 71, but it's off by three, so really at 68. I think my problem is I started messing around with stuff, so maybe I should just let it sit for awhile and see what happens.