Original Post Here

Size: 7¼x40, Lancero

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun-grown

Binder: Dominican Republic

Filler: Dominican Republic

Strength: Medium to Full

Price: Box of 10, $181.99 (gifted)

Score: 8.7

I don’t often get the chance to smoke a “skinny” cigar, so I was looking forward to tackling this Lancero when it arrived from the fine folks at Davidoff. As we wrap up our reviews of the Davidoff smokes, I was hoping that we saved the best for last (though the Maduro R would be hard to top). We’ve enjoyed our time with the Maduro R, Seleccion 702, and Zino Classic from Davidoff.

Off we go…

Appearance, 1.8:
What I first noticed with this smoke was the pig tail cap, which was both unique and well constructed. The rest of the cigar was clean to the touch and the medium brown wrapper was in good shape with some veins, but nothing to out of line. The pre-light aroma was very weak and not well defined; the cold draw produced some cedar type notes with sweetness on the finish. The eye catcher on this smoke is the classic white and gold Davidoff band. It is classy and elegant and just hypes the anticipation of that first puff.

Burn, 1.7:
The smoke cut, toasted, and lit well and we were off to the races. The draw was just right and produced a surprising amount of smoke considering the size of the stick. The ash was a nice white color that held for about an inch before falling off, which I felt was reasonable considering the 40 ring gauge on this smoke.  The deduction in points on this smoke is the result of a relight about halfway through the 2/3 mark.

Flavor, 2.6:
The first puff on the Millennium produced some woody notes with a bit of harshness on the back of the throat. I let the smoke rest before taking the second puff and the harshness passed. I will not break this smoke down into thirds, as it never really moved during the entire experience. The smoke produced a consistent flavor of roasted nuts, hints of cedar, and maybe a hint of dark chocolate on the finish at times. The smoke was creamier than I anticipated, which was a very nice surprise. Though not a bad flavor profile, it did not knock my socks off. The smoke was however quite consistent.

Overall, 2.6:
I enjoyed this smoke for a number of reasons; it surprised me, it was a fun size that I don’t often take the opportunity to smoke, and the flavor was very pleasing. That being said, at close to $20 a pop, I can’t really recommend it—even for a special occasion. Though this is a good smoke, there are many other options available at that price point that would be more satisfying choices in my opinion.

(Total: 8.7)

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i often find that davidoff is a bit musky as well. im fairly shocked it didnt have that classic davidoff musk.

what also didnt surprise me was the 5 different flavors you listed. I find most davidoff products to be complex at one level or another. some are more complex over the length of the cigar, and some are complex within each puff....
    some are both.

did you pair his with any drink (other than water)?

and how long did it take you to smoke it?
  • It took probably about an hour, hour and 20 mins to smoke and I paired it with a Rye Ale...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you ever get the opportunity to smoke one of these again i would recommend smoking it with only water on hand.
    many people dont like davidoff because the complexities are very subtle and the overall body is usually medium. many seasoned smokers like fuller body and a more "smack you in the face" flavor.
    if you try it with only water you may find flavors that your drink overpowered.
    given the price, i wouldnt rush out to do this...
    ... should the opportunity knock.

personally, im a fan of the AVO line and the zino line. i feel that the slightly cheaper Davidoffs are just as good as the actual davidoff line. i cant justify the price difference in my mind.
    .. maybe my palate just isnt developed enough.
  • Yeah, I always contemplate on popping a cold one during a review but sometimes I just really want a beer!