Home Cigar 101

Don't you just love the big ring gauges?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well? Don't ya'?........Hmmmm?................Come on,....I know you guys love to hate on the BIG RGs. Let's hear it.

Comments

• FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    I think I am in the minority and I like them especially between 50 and 60. I smoked an Asylum 13 The Ogre that is the 7x70 barber pole the other day and it was a bit much, but still enjoyed it

Bob do you like the big RG’s? I still have one The Ogre left if you’re interested in trading for it? I bought three from my B&M to trade/bomb with. Tried to send one to Firetruckguy that got lost in the mail, smoked one and have one left that I was saving for someone who appreciates a big RG cigar.
    Looking at your bio, if its up to date, I can hook you up with one more on your want to try list. Ill send three other randoms (who we kidding, any one who has seen my trades knows your getting Camacho stuff from me) and we can call it a 5er trade. You pick any blind five you want to send and I am happy.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    PsychoSJG:
    It's Log, it's log, it's better than bad, its good!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    PsychoSJG:
    It's Log, it's log, it's better than bad, its good!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    I think I am in the minority and I like them especially between 50 and 60. I smoked an Asylum 13 The Ogre that is the 7x70 barber pole the other day and it was a bit much, but still enjoyed it

Bob do you like the big RG’s? I still have one The Ogre left if you’re interested in trading for it? I bought three from my B&M to trade/bomb with. Tried to send one to Firetruckguy that got lost in the mail, smoked one and have one left that I was saving for someone who appreciates a big RG cigar.
    Thanks for the generous offer.

Sorry, no. I'm not a fan. But, I'm not a hater either. Last night there was a little devil on my shoulder sayin' "Stir the pot! Do it. You know some of the BOTLs luuuuuve to *** about the BIG rings. Do it! Do it!"

I smoked a 60 from my humi last night and was thinkin' how much fun it would be to stir up the BIG ring hate/debate. My ring gauge preference would be anywhere from mid 40s to mid 50s, but I have come to the opinion that 60 is too much tobacco for me. In the past I have purchased plenty of fivers and other deals without much regard to size so I do have a few on hand. LOL

Maybe we could work a trade in the other direction. I may have a few BIG RGs that I could send your way in case you haven't tried them. I'll take a look and see what I have and if I can come up with more than just two or three I'll send you a PM :)

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to think that there is a time for any size cigar. I am a fan of the skinnies but I enjoy a nub or other larger rg from time to time. The one thing that annoys me is when the smallest size a cigar comes in is no smaller than 50.... I just looove when you get a robo, toro, and Churchill that only differ in length..and then a gordo size. No real variety. Yes, offer big rg's, but throw in a damn corona too!

I will not be smoking a log no matter how better than bad it is.

it's great for a snack, it fits on your back!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to love the Ren & Stimpy show. There was some pure comedic brilliance there. At times, I was belly laughing so hard I was crying.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    What rolls down stairs, Alone or in pairs....

and runs over the neighbors dog,

what fits on your back and is great for a snack.....

its LOG LOG LOG!

Looog..... Looog ...... Its Big, Its Heavy, ITS WOOD!

Log... Log... Its Better Then Bad, ITS GOOD!

I do love me some big ring guages, I like how cool and smooth the smoke can be, if you have time to smoke for like 3 hours on a 7X70 or something. Judge Animus being my favorite large Ring Guage.

Aj
    No prob Bob.

Offer is there for anyone else out there who wants to try the Ogre. If not it will stay in the Humi as a conversation piece, unless one day I deside to smoke another.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    PsychoSJG:
    LoL
    "A substantial cigar for when you want to make a big statement."

Yup, that there's the target demographic.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Last night there was a little devil on my shoulder sayin' "Stir the pot! Do it. You know some of the BOTLs luuuuuve to *** about the BIG rings. Do it! Do it!"
    I'll let my friend Rick respond to this .... ;-)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    smoked a 60 gordo La GLoria Cubana last night....great flavors but had burn issues with it and after smoking all the sub 52rg cigars that i have been smoking all summer it felt strange in the mouth. I still liked it though.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    smoked a 60 gordo La GLoria Cubana last night....great flavors but had burn issues with it and after smoking all the sub 52rg cigars that i have been smoking all summer it felt strange in the mouth. I still liked it though.
    All summer....?
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Perspective. 45RG is big for some people.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I like em now that I have been able to work myself up to dealing with all of that filler which can be so concentrated and sometimes so stout you feel like you are smoking the entire plant. What makes this hobby so cool is that you can take a vitola and enjoy it in a lancero or Robusto or a big fatty and thereby getting what taste you want as far as the ratio of filler/binder/wrapper. I just like how cool it looks when you're smoking it...it gets a lot of attention. Notice my avatar...nothin like a big stogie that makes an entrance before you do.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Don't you just love the big ring gauges?
    Nope. I dislike them actually. Every once in a while I will smoke something in the 55 range, but that's about as far as I can stand. I prefer stuff in the mid 40 range. To each their own though.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    No, not particularly. I won't complain if it's a good cigar because a good cigar is a good cigar
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No..but don't really care if anyone else loves them.. I like Nub's, LGC trunk show..just don't have the time to mess with them..I enjoy a Toro and Robusto in warmer weather.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    No, I think my hatred and disdain for this "fad" is pretty known. I tend to have the opposite personality of the guy who needs to make a statement and feels he looks "cool" with a big fatty stogie. I don't smoke to impress others, or look cool, in fact most liberal pansies nowadays are so anti-smoking you almost have to stay at home to not feel like you're offending anyone.

Thats always been my gripe, its not about a good smoke its about the d-bag colllege kid who wants everyone to see him smoking a cool guy cigar, and look how big it is!!! Woah you're so cool, I want to be just like you. No i'll be the quiet guy smoking a cuban corona in the corner laughing at you.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm kinda like you know all over the board but since draw is so important I will generally start a new brand with a large ring to get a feel for them. If a cigar comes in a box pressed style ring gauge becomes less important.

And blurr is right, I still remember the fool smoking a cigar with the cedar and scotch tape still on the cigar.....just being cool.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    No it isn't.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    webmost:
    Rain:
    No it isn't.

It is if you're under 4, but children under 4 probably shouldn't smoke...
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Randy.... At least he's not smoking a zoid
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America