Home Cigar 101
Options

smoking outside vs inside?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Ive been wondering for some time now about the two. For me, when I smoke indoors I never have a cigar go out on me unless I let it sit too long. Now when I smoke outside in mild wind I always have a cigar go out on me. In fact I have to puff away at it many more times than I normally would and then I get a strong bitter taste and though the cigar stays lit longer it still goes out, usually after the first ash if that. Now when there is no wind, then I have one go out sometimes. Now I'm wondering if it is just me or what? I don't do anything differently and it really grinds my gears. I really notice this on the golf course, in fact I don't even smoke cigars on the green anymore. Anyone have this issue? btw I have a steady rh of 59-63

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Ive been wondering for some time now about the two. For me, when I smoke indoors I never have a cigar go out on me unless I let it sit too long. Now when I smoke outside in mild wind I always have a cigar go out on me. In fact I have to puff away at it many more times than I normally would and then I get a strong bitter taste and though the cigar stays lit longer it still goes out, usually after the first ash if that. Now when there is no wind, then I have one go out sometimes. Now I'm wondering if it is just me or what? I don't do anything differently and it really grinds my gears. I really notice this on the golf course, in fact I don't even smoke cigars on the green anymore. Anyone have this issue? btw I have a steady rh of 59-63
    I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem but 59-63 seems considerably low to me. I have always considered 65rh as minimum. As far as your problem, I have never smoked inside so I wouldn't know.
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    It does seem a little low, although I would think they would be a bit drier and burn faster. I would try to raise the RH to 65% to 72%.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the others, you should first get your RH back into a good range. 65-70

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    I doubt low 60's are bad, my beads are 60. I just recharged them and I'm back at 64
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I really notice this on the golf course, in fact I don't even smoke cigars on the green anymore. Anyone have this issue? btw I have a steady rh of 59-63
    Not sure how to help you on your first issue, but I can help you on your golfing problem. First, I'd recommend not smoking cigars on the golf course. For me at least, it relaxes me too much and I lose focus on what I'm doing. Every time I've smoked a cigar on the links, I've played terrible. If you must, I've found Drew Estate's La Vieja Habana to be a very good golf course smoke as it is loosely rolled and I've never had any problems with it going out while I'm playing.
  • Options
    thanks for the cigar info, I'll check it out. I need to get a caddy or something for my cigars before I go out and light one again. I always drop it when I swing. Putting is the only time I dont.
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    i have nothing but problems when golfing - but when smoking of my porch i usually never have one go out on me - if it does it is because it is down past the wrapper and starting to get too hot for each draw - my rh is usually right at 68-69% so i would try raising yours up
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    thanks for the cigar info, I'll check it out. I need to get a caddy or something for my cigars before I go out and light one again. I always drop it when I swing. Putting is the only time I dont.
    This is what you need - heater holder
  • Options
    cool
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Phobic, I too have this same problem and it grinds my gears so much so, that it makes me question sometimes if it's worth it to even have a cigar some nights. I still do, but it's harder to convince myself sometimes.

But my beads are 65%'s... and I make sure they hold at 65% if not more...
    I doubt it's your RH humidity in your humidor. It's this "mother nature" crap. I haven't had a cigar with out a breeze in many many moons. Sometimes the night starts out nice and calm and I can get a good 2 inches off, but as soon as a breeze comes, it's nothing but trouble the rest of the way down the cigar.

Let's think of this as a science experiment.

Of all the variables in our equation that we can control, from the temperature to the RH humidity INSIDE OUR HUMIDORS, as soon as we remove the cigar out of it's controlled environment to the outside world, we are putting it at risk. The weather outside is completely uncontrollable and not very predictable. The slightest breeze or a change in wind direction, or a drop barometric pressure, heat swells coming from the ground or the weather guy being way off... again. Everything can effect a cigars performance when outside.

Indoors will always be a more controlled environment. Not perfect, but your chances of having problems indoors will be far less.

I have NEVER had any trouble indoors. Ever. Outdoors... within mother natures cold grasp... My troubles are never ending.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I live in west Texas. Cactus, red dirt, oil and wind. Lot's of wind. Cigars go out outside on me a lot, but but if I'm just outside smoking, they generally don't; but they do on the links. I think I get lost in thought outside, and puffing regularly is just habit and thus they stay lit. On the golf course, I'm mostly trying not to throw my clubs, and the cigar gets dropped, drooled on, and sometimes left on the ground while I go get the last club I threw....