Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Unregistered "guests" on ccom. LURKERS

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
At the moment of this posting there are 10 registered "regular" members online, and 199 unregistered "lurkers" online here on ccom. (Even one of the ten registered members is a lurker. He's been here almost a year without posting a single word.)

We are being watched.

Usually, I feel like part of a small tight-knit community here, but in truth we, as a group of regulars, are in some ways like a reality TV show. We are not alone. People are watching us. At any moment we are greatly outnumbered buy the lurkers. I feel a little weird about this from time to time.

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attention Lurkers!
    If you've been lurking for at least, lets say ..... 4 months, .... the first person to post "I want a Stogiestand" in this very thread, I'll gladly send you one.
    Readyyyyy Go!

let's see what happens
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been lurking... honest! Does that count? :-)

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    I've been lurking... honest! Does that count? :-)

PM me your addy
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    At the moment of this posting there are 10 registered "regular" members online, and 199 unregistered "lurkers" online here on ccom. (Even one of the ten registered members is a lurker. He's been here almost a year without posting a single word.)

We are being watched.

Usually, I feel like part of a small tight-knit community here, but in truth we, as a group of regulars, are in some ways like a reality TV show. We are not alone. People are watching us. At any moment we are greatly outnumbered buy the lurkers. I feel a little weird about this from time to time.

Sorry Bob. One of them is me. I have been watching you so I could pounce....
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Bob, realize that some people leave their computers on, open to a tab of c.com for no other reason then 'just cause they did' and that they are not really sitting there 'watching' as it might appear. At the moment, i would hazard to say that i have 3 devices that are on ccom. Actually, 4, as i have 2 laptops, the ipad and my phone. Not sure if they are all logged in as i do run 'crap cleaner' now and again to clear the cache on them.
    As per ccom members without a lot of posts, please do remember that many people prefer to read and do not feel the need to comment on every thread or comment.
    I used to confidently say that over the years i had read every post in every thread...but the last year has made that impossible to even try. Many of the threads now read like a on-going story, and are not quite as factual, opinion or review postings. This is neither better, nor worse, just different and i do a lot more skimming and way less reading of the threads then i used to.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I leave my computer on a lot, so a lot of the time it says I'm here, I'm not.Could get in to the whole post count and new forum thing.....but it's Sunday, have to recharge :)Not directing that at you Barry, just talking about in general. We've already gone down that road ;)
  • Options
    Rain:
    I leave my computer on a lot, so a lot of the time it says I'm here, I'm not.Could get in to the whole post count and new forum thing.....but it's Sunday, have to recharge :)
    Randy, not sure if the 'post count' thing was aimed at what i said...hope not, as that was not my intent. I was responding to the original thought/idea of '(Even one of the ten registered members is a lurker. He's been here almost a year without posting a single word.)"

I was just trying to express a possible explanation as to how some people can lurk for years and not actually post.
  • Options
    Bah, my edit came too late. Read what I posted and tried to clarify. My bad!
  • Options
    Got it, guess i missed that last line. Me bad!
  • Options
    k....i am not posting on this again! ;) Although it does pad my postcount! :)
  • Options
    Barry's over here fluffing like a pro.
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    also keep in mind that some folks aren't always signed in, so they appear as guests.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Barry's over here fluffing like a pro.
    For sure i am! @ my 20 posts/month average i will hit 1000 by early September of THIS year!
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I do lurk a lot, but i do read nearly every thread. I dont post on a lot of them because i dont feel like id add anything to the convo and posting "nice bomb" on every bomb seems lame
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    I do lurk a lot, but i do read nearly every thread. I dont post on a lot of them because i dont feel like id add anything to the convo and posting "nice bomb" on every bomb seems lame
    Nice!Sorry, I'm lame.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Nice!Sorry, I'm lame.
    Me too, Im just happy to be a part of this forum, and comments on those hits I think are nice, well, I just say it!!
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    flowbee:
    Rain:
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Nice!Sorry, I'm lame.
    Me too, Im just happy to be a part of this forum, and comments on those hits I think are nice, well, I just say it!!
    I understand, I don't post a lot either, unless I can add a something. I haven't gotten into the trades and bombs. I will post if I really think someone has went above and beyond but not often. But the difference here is that we do post. I think that is is the issue. If you have been just lurking, can you add something or get invovled in a discussion in some helpful way? Why not join us? Lot's of great people here.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:

We are being watched.

That's almost always the way it is with online forums. You get a very small circle of regular contributors, and the vast majority are either lurkers or people who register, sign in, and stay signed in forever and never come back. I admit there are a number of forums I've signed up for where I rarely if ever go anymore.

Point of proof: For one of my clients I'm involved in launching a new forum for a particular professional segment. We're in beta mode now and have 500 registered members, but only 7 or 8 actually contribute.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    Bob Luken:

We are being watched.

That's almost always the way it is with online forums. You get a very small circle of regular contributors, and the vast majority are either lurkers or people who register, sign in, and stay signed in forever and never come back. I admit there are a number of forums I've signed up for where I rarely if ever go anymore.

Point of proof: For one of my clients I'm involved in launching a new forum for a particular professional segment. We're in beta mode now and have 500 registered members, but only 7 or 8 actually contribute.
    What he said. I have been a member of various forums for the better part of the last 20 years. You always have a core group that push the conversation and shape the topics on the forum, a group of old time regulars that have gone by the wayside for whatever reason who come back and complain that the forum isn't what it used to be, a few overexcited newbies going crazy with responses and new threads, the fore mentioned users that login for a specific reason but don't come back, and then a bunch of people that watch the boards but never comment.

the key to a healthy forum is coaxing out those lurkers who might not be like those newbies that just jump right in to join up and contribute. So i agree LURKER, feel free to come by and join the convo.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine many of the "guests" are people that just googled a cigar review, humidor issue, etc and are reading a specific thread. If you look at the "Who is Online", many of the pages being viewed are ancient posts that one wouldn't find just casually browsing the site. I think it's actually kind of fun to see what people are digging up in that list.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All guests should be registered and require a background check. There should be a three day waiting period before you invite your guest. Assault guests should be prohibited. And we need to crack down on sales at guest shows. Remember: When guests are illegal only criminals will have guests.

Except when the DOJ sells unregistered assault guests to Mexican drug cartels. Then we turn a blind eye.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    All guests should be registered and require a background check. There should be a three day waiting period before you invite your guest. Assault guests should be prohibited. And we need to crack down on sales at guest shows. Remember: When guests are illegal only criminals will have guests.

Except when the DOJ sells unregistered assault guests to Mexican drug cartels. Then we turn a blind eye.

Hmmmm...just occurred to me that there's another reason why people don't participate. ;)
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha. Yes, maybe we are just too scary for them.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    I would imagine many of the "guests" are people that just googled a cigar review, humidor issue, etc and are reading a specific thread. If you look at the "Who is Online", many of the pages being viewed are ancient posts that one wouldn't find just casually browsing the site. I think it's actually kind of fun to see what people are digging up in that list.
    That was interesting. I don't think I'd ever done that before.

when I first signed up for the forum, I can't even remember why I did, I didn't expect to ever really get into it. It seemed odd, to me. It was a couple or three months, I think, before I started actually looking at threads, etc., and then taking part. I did want to find folks to talk cigars with, though. As I'm sure you all know, the population at large is usually largely ignorant of any factual information about our hobby, and are prone to all sorts of superstitions regarding cigars, and those who smoke them.

I suppose a lot of people just never get started at it, and I wonder what those registered as being "online" are actually doing? Maybe they're just checking out the DD or something?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    SleevePlz:
    That was interesting. I don't think I'd ever done that before.

when I first signed up for the forum, I can't even remember why I did, I didn't expect to ever really get into it. It seemed odd, to me. It was a couple or three months, I think, before I started actually looking at threads, etc., and then taking part. I did want to find folks to talk cigars with, though. As I'm sure you all know, the population at large is usually largely ignorant of any factual information about our hobby, and are prone to all sorts of superstitions regarding cigars, and those who smoke them.

I suppose a lot of people just never get started at it, and I wonder what those registered as being "online" are actually doing? Maybe they're just checking out the DD or something?
    Sometimes, we just get too busy to post.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:

Now that is too much information to know what pages people are looking at. I can't believe all you guys were looking at the bum thread again.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am openly creepy and stalking a majority of you. No need to hide it.
  • Options
    rsherman24:

Now that is too much information to know what pages people are looking at. I can't believe all you guys were looking at the bum thread again.
    I'd be a lot more worried if we WEREN'T looking at the thread. :)