Home General Discussion

am i the only one...?

2»

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Hi Sam, if you are familiar with the original Dark Antano when it came to market then you would have noticed that the same quality is not there. I used to like Antano which was a Nicaraguan flavor bomb but those days are gone.

I witnessed the development of JdN Cuenca y Blanco and tested first couple prototype blends. There was a rush to release it. As a result, at the end it was not what it supposed to be. Smokers are educated and name can be sold up to a point. It didn't strike the market the way it should have been.

Cuarto Cinco is completely a different animal and I believe an accidental creation. There is one tobacco which is truly rare and hard to find. The wrapper is very special as well. This is simply a phenomenal smoke.
    No_one21:
    rzaman:
    In my opinion, Joya de Nicaragua cigars are flat except the Cuarto Cinco.
    Great post overall. But, do you think the Dark Antano is flat? I really liked that one but haven't tried the Cuarto Cinco yet. As to Padron. I've loved each one I've had so far. The 1964 is definitely a top 3 for me. Though the price definitely steers me away from buying any myself yet, I know I certainly want some around when I get the $ and space.
    Jason has a point Dennis. Lately I am also off with Arturo Fuente. They do have some excellent smoke such as Don Carlos Anniversario and some Opus and Forbidden X. But now a days I also consider the price point with value when I have we have so many option. This is where my taste is shifting from 100% Dominican cigars. Even Davidoff doesn't make me happy. Or maybe it is the negative effect of knowing too much about the inside facts about the industry. The bottom line is, I am more into value now.
    dennisking:
    blutattoo:
    Hey, everyone's taste is subjective. I love Padrons, but heck that doesn't mean you will too. I have never had an AF that I've liked, but most people love them. Different strokes. Kinda like being a mustang or camaro guy one just doesn't understand the other.
    You've never had a Fuente you liked?!?!?!?!!? Tell us more.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I've only had 2 or 3 padrons and they were all good. I haven't smoked enough to figure out if they're overrated or not.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    It is not a rumor, all Padron Maduros are Mexican San Andres. Most of the Naturals are from Ecuador. San Andres has a distinctive sweetness like no other. However, as you said I also respect Padron's business model for sticking with the core line. But I expect a change after Orlando Padron no longer in the industry. Sometime we cannot or should not discuss detail in public-:)
    dennisking:
    To chime in on what Rip said about them not being 100% Nicaraguan Puro, it's somewhat rumored that the wrapper is San Andres but Padron has never disclosed this. One can tell with the flavor though, it's very San Andres in taste and in the retrohale.

I find the construction, draw, and performance to be really good on every Padron I've smoked. With that said, I expect that for the cost because I expect that out of every higher end Fuente, Tat, DPG, LFD/LG, Ashton stick. I've never had a bum Padron. Although they aren't my absolute favorite, I respect the business model. No real gimmicks, just a good lineup of really good tasting and performing sticks. The 26 80th and 45yr are some of my favs.
    for what I know and have heard it's a Sanadreas seed grown in Nicaragua. Correct me If I'm wrong but that would make it a puro
    Money can't buy taste
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Padron Londres Maduro is my go to stick. I've had the 64 a couple of times and really enjoyed them. I still want try the 26 someday hopefully soon. Kuzi it's cool to like or not like certain sticks. It's all about pleasing ones palate and most of the folks on this forum are easy like Sunday morning so you stating that Padrons don't do it for you is fine by me. That means more for me!!
    Lee, they import the fermented tobacco from Mexico. The supplier is the Nueva Matacapan de Tabacos owned by Turrent family.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    rzaman:
    It is not a rumor, all Padron Maduros are Mexican San Andres. Most of the Naturals are from Ecuador. San Andres has a distinctive sweetness like no other. However, as you said I also respect Padron's business model for sticking with the core line. But I expect a change after Orlando Padron no longer in the industry. Sometime we cannot or should not discuss detail in public-:)
    dennisking:
    To chime in on what Rip said about them not being 100% Nicaraguan Puro, it's somewhat rumored that the wrapper is San Andres but Padron has never disclosed this. One can tell with the flavor though, it's very San Andres in taste and in the retrohale.

I find the construction, draw, and performance to be really good on every Padron I've smoked. With that said, I expect that for the cost because I expect that out of every higher end Fuente, Tat, DPG, LFD/LG, Ashton stick. I've never had a bum Padron. Although they aren't my absolute favorite, I respect the business model. No real gimmicks, just a good lineup of really good tasting and performing sticks. The 26 80th and 45yr are some of my favs.
    for what I know and have heard it's a Sanadreas seed grown in Nicaragua. Correct me If I'm wrong but that would make it a puro
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    You're not the only one, Kuzi. Don't get me wrong. I love Padron and all Padron cigars and have never been disappointed by any of their stuff. However, considering the hype around the brand, Padron is overrated. There's many cigars for the same price point or lower that's of the same or better quality.

I think you nailed it, "overrated" doesn't necessarily mean "crap." I have thoroughly enjoyed the couple I've had, but they've all been gifted to me. I don't think I've had their core lines, which are much more reasonably priced, but the 64 and 26 line seems a bit steep considering I see them everywhere.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Obviously, everyone is different. JDN tastes like sandpaper to me, same with camacho. Padron isn't overrated simply because they have hundreds of positive ratings from all reviewers, blogs, magazines, etc..., with a minimal portfolio. No other company can claim that really, which means their limited portfolio truly hits a ton of palates. Those that that don't get it are in the statistical minority. You can find people that don't like any brand, but you can't find companies that consistently get rated like they do. They earned their ratings. Wanna talk about overrated, look at DE, Viaje, or Tat...
    rzaman:
    Lee, they import the fermented tobacco from Mexico. The supplier is the Nueva Matacapan de Tabacos owned by Turrent family.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    rzaman:
    dennisking:

yup, turrent claims the same wrapper on their blends
    +1000...there is no other cigar maker out there can claim such a positive ratings with such a small portfolio years after years. This is where Padron brand is so unique. By saying that I am not endorsing CA or CJs ratings. I am talking about overall rating.
    catfishbluezz:
    Obviously, everyone is different. JDN tastes like sandpaper to me, same with camacho. Padron isn't overrated simply because they have hundreds of positive ratings from all reviewers, blogs, magazines, etc..., with a minimal portfolio. No other company can claim that really, which means their limited portfolio truly hits a ton of palates. Those that that don't get it are in the statistical minority. You can find people that don't like any brand, but you can't find companies that consistently get rated like they do. They earned their ratings. Wanna talk about overrated, look at DE, Viaje, or Tat...
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    rzaman:
    dennisking:

either way I still think with at least two years on them padron has a great profile no other can produce!
    Money can't buy taste
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My comment in no way was to bash Padron. Every blend of theirs that I tried all had the same ashtray flavor in my opinion. Like I said just not for me. I enjoy many cigars that others do not like. I respect all of your opinions and like to hear what your experiences are. It is amazing how our individual experiences with the same cigar can differ so much. If I get a Padron I save it for someone that I know loves them. I respect them and think they have many great aspects.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    So I'm going to post my thoughts even though I'm very new and most people will probably dismiss them as the ramblings of some newb. I've only had the opportunity to try a dozen or so cigars at this point and the one Padron I've tried (1964 Anni) falls in my top 25%. I will say that it wasn't terribly complex in terms of flavor profile and didn't have any single overpowering flavor. The smoke was neither dry, nor "chewy," but it was thick and plentiful. Maybe I'm crazy, but I would give this to someone totally new to cigars and expect them to be impressed enough to want to dive deeper into the hobby. It's a cigar that I will definitely revisit, but my first Padron was a pleasant experience.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    blutattoo:
    Hey, everyone's taste is subjective. I love Padrons, but heck that doesn't mean you will too. I have never had an AF that I've liked, but most people love them. Different strokes. Kinda like being a mustang or camaro guy one just doesn't understand the other.
    I've tried I swear, chateau, sun grown, short story, even an opus x. I just don't get it. Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me. The Opus X made me turn green. Might have been the ribeye I had prior to the smoke, but I'm not sure I wanna try that again.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Those that that don't get it are in the statistical minority.
    its not that i "dont get it"
    this could be an assumption that i have no palate whatsoever.
    it is that i "dont like it"
    a very different animal.
    catfishbluezz:
    You can find people that don't like any brand, but you can't find companies that consistently get rated like they do.
    i agree 100% with the first half of that statement. as stated many times in this thread, everyone has a different palate.

as for the second half of the statement, im not sure i agree or disagree. there is no argument that Padron rates well across the board. as i have said, most look at me like i am totally nuts when i explain that the brand does nothing for me. what there may (or may not) be an argument for is that other companies get good ratings. you mentioned DE. the no.9 and the T-52 were rated very well. that is the core line. all the LEs were a mixed bag. if we compare core lines to core lines Padron and DE both rate well. so what a few people have done in this thread is say that other brands arent as good because they release LE cigars that can be hit or miss.

isnt that what an LE should be (hit or miss)?
    small run tobacco that is different from the norm and therefore outside of the standard line profile is the perfect reason to make an LE. And many of DEs LEs are blends that didnt quite make the cut to be a regular production.

Tatuaje's core lines, Selection de Cazador, Reserva, and Havana VI all rate well. again if we compare core line to core lines... the both rate well. can we really fault what is good because they made an LE that didnt quite hit its mark? (this is from a guy who doesnt like tatuaje or DE's blending styles either. its just easier to find people that are not as big of a fan of those brands that Padron)

is a brand instantly over rated for releasing an LE?
    this is a business
    that market plan works.

i also feel that a few people may be reading too much into the wording of the title question of this thread. maybe "over rated" isnt the right word. because, as catfish pointed out, people that dont like the brand are in a statistical minority. I knew that walking into the thread. i was actually asking the question in an almost serious manner. before this thread i couldnt think of a single person that Didnt like Padron (save for one but im not going to speak on his behalf). i guess i knew that there would be a few out there because, again, as catfish pointed out:
    catfishbluezz:
    You can find people that don't like any brand
    I don't like Fuente at all, but I get it. I understand why people like them, collect them, and enjoy them. Unless it's an Opus or Rosado with a ton of age, I'd gladly hand it off to another. What does that mean? Nothing... Padron doesn't miss on LE's, because their reserve lines are flawless as they release new ones. Other companies release LE's that continually fail because they are based on marketing schemes, not excellent tobacco. Padron's ratings need an Excel spread sheet. Not sure any other company can claim that really. When it's easier to find someone that does not like a brand, they simply do not hit as many palate. I think it is safe to say, Padron hits more palates then any other brand; thus, the multitude of high ratings.
    blutattoo:
    dennisking:
    blutattoo:
    I've tried I swear, chateau, sun grown, short story, even an opus x. I just don't get it. Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me. The Opus X made me turn green. Might have been the ribeye I had prior to the smoke, but I'm not sure I wanna try that again.
    Gotta review of the Lost City coming soon, had to tapout myself. Those are some strong cigars that will creep on you.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    dennisking:
    blutattoo:
    It's time for an Anejo. This Christmas you need to get some.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    dennisking:
    blutattoo:
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    blutattoo:
    dennisking:
    blutattoo:
    The Shark could be my all time favorite
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    dennisking:
    blutattoo:
    dennisking:
    blutattoo:
    The Shark could be my all time favorite

8 or 9 years ago before the big wind I loved Fuente Chateau and I bought boxes when ever I could. They were a light wrapper and were so creamy that I smoked them on a regular basis, and right out of the box. I still like them even though the prices are ridiculous, but, and it is a big but (Kardashian size), they are in no way as good as they use to be. So what has happened..? Are they made different..? Are my taste buds shot..? Can't blame my taste-buds for such a huge difference...

My first cigar, a gift, was a real Cuban Romeo y Julieta that got me started on cigars. There has not been a non-Cuban version that I have smoked that even comes close in any way shape or form, and I understand that. I do not understand about the Fuentes.

Um....what is this thread about..? Oh yea, Padrons....they don't turn me on either, they are not a bad cigar but I don't look for them.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think overpriced for sure but a great stick.