Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidifier placement

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
In my coolidor there are 7 shelves stacked vertically. I've been placing my Heartfelt beads and a small custard-type bowl of distilled water at the very bottom, below all the shelves. I usually keep my hygrometer on a shelf about halfway up.

I've been thinking of installing a small fan rigged to a timer in there as well but haven't done so yet. My question is, what would be the optimum placement of the water and the beads? In the middle? Near the top? I'm hoping someone can lay some scientific info on me regarding this.

I'm pretty sure the question would become moot if I were to go ahead with the fan idea but I'd like to hear from someone who really knows about this kind of thing.

Thanks a lot,

Marty

Comments

• Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Humid air rises as it has a lower atomic number than oxygen. Oxygen is O2 which has a weight of 16. H20 has an atomic number of 10. There is some science dropped on ya!!
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    rmccloud:
    Humid air rises as it has a lower atomic number than oxygen. Oxygen is O2 which has a weight of 16. H20 has an atomic number of 10. There is some science dropped on ya!!
    O2 has a weight of 32 doesnt it 2 oxygen molecules in duterium form each with atomic weight of 16, im guessing you mixed up atomic weight and number?? H2O cant have an atomic number as its not an atom but it has a molecula weight of 20.
  • Options
    sol1821:
    rmccloud:
    O2 has a weight of 32 doesnt it 2 oxygen molecules in duterium form each with atomic weight of 16, im guessing you mixed up atomic weight and number?? H2O cant have an atomic number as its not an atom but it has a molecula weight of 20.

So, if I'm reading you right, if I leave my beads and water at the bottom of my coolidor I'll have optimum dispersal of moist air to the rest of the coolidor. Correct?

Marty

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what these guys are talking about, but I do know that Fog (Water-Vapor) always finds the lowest part of the valley... So I'd say the humid air goes to the bottom of the cooler. A Fan would take care of it, or if you MORE than what is required in beads it won't matter for the WHOLE cooler will be at the right Rh...

AND if you are opening the cooler every now and then don't worry about it, the opening of the lid should circulate the air enough
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Check this thread out
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    bbc020:
    Check this thread out
    didn't mean to quote myself
  • Options
    Got it. Thanks for the assist. I think I'll pull the hygro out of my desktop for a while and put it on the top shelf in my coolidor. And I'll move the coolidor hygro to the bottom shelf. After a few days or a week maybe I'll have a better feel for this.

I shoulda thunk of that to begin with, wouldn't ya think? Ach, such a dumbkopf I am.

Marty

• Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    sol1821:
    rmccloud:

You are correct sol. Had it mixed up early in the morning. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Cole54Cole54 Posts: 18
    Damn, 7 shelves... I wanna see how you have that thing laid out... and what cooler you used.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    rmccloud:
    sol1821:
    rmccloud:

You are correct sol. Had it mixed up early in the morning. Thanks for the help.
    no problem sorry if it sounded like i was being a *** didnt mean any offence by it. the other thing to think about it that oxygen is only a small fraction of air.
  • Options
    Cole54:
    Damn, 7 shelves... I wanna see how you have that thing laid out... and what cooler you used.

I'd be happy to post some photos of it but I can't figure out how to get photos on this &^%$ forum. The other forum I was used to was a snap to upload photos to but this one isn't. I don't know why the webmaster can't simplify it so dummies like myself can use it without having to know all that html code crap, etc.

Anyway, enough rant - if you'd like to PM me your e-mail address, I can send some photos that way.

Marty

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Cole54:

I'd be happy to post some photos of it but I can't figure out how to get photos on this &^%$ forum. The other forum I was used to was a snap to upload photos to but this one isn't. I don't know why the webmaster can't simplify it so dummies like myself can use it without having to know all that html code crap, etc.

Anyway, enough rant - if you'd like to PM me your e-mail address, I can send some photos that way.

Marty

Hey Marty... Photobucket makes it super easy to post pix here in the forum. Any of the photos I want to put in here I upload to my account in Photobucket, and then when you view your image, below it there's a list of link options. One of them is HTML - all you have to do is copy that, and paste it here in the body of your post.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Hmmm. PhotoBucket, you say? Hmmm. Now that's a lead worth pursuing. Thanks muchly, my friend. There may be help for this old geezer after all.

Marty

• Options
    Cole54:

Here are a few photos of my coolidor. It's an old Coleman, metal-sided, plastic lined cooler that can be used in the usual way or stood up like an ice box. It has racks to hold the shelves...I'm only using 6 of them at the moment.

Okay, I give up! I've tried using the instructions Rad1964 supplied and I've struggled with them for far too long. Nothing seems to work with this damned HTML bullshit

Here's the damned URL to the photos. If you want to see 'em, go there. http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/ad30/jlmarta/

Marty

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Hmmm. PhotoBucket, you say? Hmmm. Now that's a lead worth pursuing. Thanks muchly, my friend. There may be help for this old geezer after all.

Marty

eh, don't show any no-no parts, they delete that Sh-ite quick!
  • Options
    Where's Urbi and his Brain Bleach???
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    If you click on the individual picture, on the left side of the screen you'll see a list saying "share this image" you want to click on the bottom one that says "IMG code" and paste that into whatever you are typing. And then it will look like this:
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    If you click on the individual picture, on the left side of the screen you'll see a list saying "share this image" you want to click on the bottom one that says "IMG code" and paste that into whatever you are typing. And then it will look like this:

WOW!! You did it!! I thought I had tried everything but evidently I didn't. I kept keying-in the html characters that Rad1964 showed in his post only substituting the URL that was shown on the PhotoBucket page but when I clicked on 'preview' it showed everything I had typed MINUS the URL.

Well, you know the mantra of geezerhood - "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most". Thanks for the help, Tat. It's appreciated.

Marty

• Options
    Not a problem, my friend.
  • Options
    Did the top shelf cigars do something bad? Is that why they are all alone in time-out up there?
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    maybe its because they are box pressed and he is a shape-ist ;)
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Did the top shelf cigars do something bad? Is that why they are all alone in time-out up there?

Good eye! No, actually, those on the top shelf belong to our son, Mike. He likes to leave a few of his here at our house in case he forgets to bring some of his own along.

Marty

• Options
    jlmarta:
    Lasabar:

Good eye! No, actually, those on the top shelf belong to our son, Mike. He likes to leave a few of his here at our house in case he forgets to bring some of his own along.

Marty

Sounds completely legitimate........

Shape-ist....... you probably don't go to Wendy's either!
  • Options
    Something weird about square burgers...
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    TatuajeVI:

Say what you want about the shape, the Baconator is full of win.
  • Options
    MAJORdorMo:
    TatuajeVI:
    Say what you want about the shape, the Baconator is full of win.
    God it's good to live in AMERICA!!!

Obesity is on the rise!!! SHUT UP! Your in the way of my bacon-ator