Home Non Cigar Related
Options

How do you ship beer?

ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
From what I've seen UPS and FedEx both have policies against. I've seen people say you need to do USPS Parcel Post. I know some of you out there are doing it. How do you ship it and how do you pack it?
East Side 2015
KLMOW Badge 8/2014
Team Trident 2014

Comments

• Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea, but I'll happily send you my address if you want to practice. :^)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a medium flat rate priority box from USPS and wrapped each bottle with lots of newspaper. Seemed to work fine.

on a side note, I'll take a six pack to match my washboard abs. Hahaha
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    FedEx doesnt have policies against. I just received a shipment from Bineandvine.com through FedEx. Ive used fedex to ship to some friends in the past as well.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    I have no idea, but I'll happily send you my address if you want to practice. :^)
    I've got your address Doug, but it's good to know you're a beer drinker lol!

My city is also famous for cheese. Be on the lookout for Limburger bombs!
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Puff_Dougie:

Dude... Did you just threaten to fart on me???
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Lots of bubblewrap and I shipped it USPS, no problems.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the beer get shaken up a lot in transit? I'm not a beer fanboy so I don't know if this might be OK but it seems bad to me.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    +1

If you tell Fedex or UPS it's beer, they will do it but there's extra forms involved and it's a hassle. Unless you already have a close relationship with your local UPS/Fedex store don't mention it's anything liquid, it's just a pain in the ass.

And when USPS asks you if there's anything liquid in the box, before you answer just remember they do not accept liquids......

But a large flat rate can fit 6 standard bottles nicely, and have a little room to spare for other goodies....
    at least that's what I've heard ;-)
    Better to be safe than sorry IMO......
    - first put 1-2 layers of bubble wrap or a layer of packing peanuts on the bottom of box
    - then wrap each beer in 1 sheet of bubble wrap.
    - then get 2 gallon size ziploc bags -- place three bubble-wrapped beers inside of each ziploc bag. close the top and for extra protection tape the ziploc shut with packing tape.
    worst case scenario the liquid leaks out and it's contained within the bag.
    - lay 1 ziploc bag down flat in the box, put 1 or two sheets of bubble wrap on top --- then put second ziploc bag in the box.
    - fill all nooks and crannies with bubble wrap/newspaper/packing peanuts so there's no room for the contents to move around.
    - tape up all sides of the box well, and for extra ease (if you're using a flat rate box) print off a pre-paid usps shipping label online.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Bob Luken:
    Does the beer get shaken up a lot in transit? I'm not a beer fanboy so I don't know if this might be OK but it seems bad to me.
    Yes, but no more than they do on a semi truck going from the brewery to your local carry out.
    If you want to be on the safe side, just let the beer sit a day or so after opening it :-)

• Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    firetruckguy:
    +1

If you tell Fedex or UPS it's beer, they will do it but there's extra forms involved and it's a hassle. Unless you already have a close relationship with your local UPS/Fedex store don't mention it's anything liquid, it's just a pain in the ass.

And when USPS asks you if there's anything liquid in the box, before you answer just remember they do not accept liquids......

But a large flat rate can fit 6 standard bottles nicely, and have a little room to spare for other goodies....
    at least that's what I've heard ;-)
    Better to be safe than sorry IMO......
    - first put 1-2 layers of bubble wrap or a layer of packing peanuts on the bottom of box
    - then wrap each beer in 1 sheet of bubble wrap.
    - then get 2 gallon size ziploc bags -- place three bubble-wrapped beers inside of each ziploc bag. close the top and for extra protection tape the ziploc shut with packing tape.
    worst case scenario the liquid leaks out and it's contained within the bag.
    - lay 1 ziploc bag down flat in the box, put 1 or two sheets of bubble wrap on top --- then put second ziploc bag in the box.
    - fill all nooks and crannies with bubble wrap/newspaper/packing peanuts so there's no room for the contents to move around.
    - tape up all sides of the box well, and for extra ease (if you're using a flat rate box) print off a pre-paid usps shipping label online.
    what he said. i have sent out beer several times, and the above is how i did it minus the ziploc bags
  • Options
    jgibv:
    Bob Luken:
    Yes, but no more than they do on a semi truck going from the brewery to your local carry out.
    If you want to be on the safe side, just let the beer sit a day or so after opening it :-)
    " just let the beer sit a day or so after opening it "

Is that what you meant to say?

OH! Wait! You mean after opening the box it was mailed in, not after popping the top off the bottle. LOL
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    jgibv:
    Bob Luken:
    " just let the beer sit a day or so after opening it "

Is that what you meant to say?

OH! Wait! You mean after opening the box it was mailed in, not after popping the top off the bottle. LOL
    LOL ... yes after opening the box!! Haha. Let the beer sit for a day or so before you crack open a bottle!!!
    I've personally never had an issue cracking open a beer the same day I received it though....

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    The big thing to remember is that at some point, your box will be dropped. You want to make sure that it is packaged in a way that it can withstand that. I would actually recommend testing it yourself by simply dropping the box from chest level a couple times to make sure nothing is moving around in there and won't break when someone else "inadvertently" throws it across the room and misses the bin they were aiming for.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Oops. Nevermind. I found my answer in a previous post.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    FedEx doesnt have policies against. I just received a shipment from Bineandvine.com through FedEx. Ive used fedex to ship to some friends in the past as well.

Put 6 different bottles in my cart and they wanted 4 times the cost in P&H.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Puff_Dougie:

I miss cheese curds (used to live in green bay)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    My best friend works for USPS and you don't want to get caught shipping beer. I use FedEx and at times ups. I use lots of bubble wrap around the bottles and use foam or wrap on the bottom and sides. Never had an issue shipping and I ship a lot over at beer advocate. Also Rob has had several packages from me with beer and my methods work, though I learned from him. I do use foam shippers but only when I get them in a trade since I have a regular trading partner who is a hoarder society member at the bruery so he sends me lots of 750ml bottles.
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    JSaint:

Put 6 different bottles in my cart and they wanted 4 times the cost in P&H.
    Yea I know...but I really only do it on items that I will never get here. Craftshack is a little more affordable but its still expensive.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky