Home Cigar 101
Options

Tips and Tricks to keep your smoking experience from going south.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    Personally I am not a fan of the toast then cut method. I do not perceive any noticeable difference in flavor compared to a slow toast. You loose the dry draw, which I enjoy, and if you get a bad cut, you are already burning. I think the possibility for your experience going south with this method is higher, as it places a bit more stress on the cutting as the cigar is burning, at least that is my casual observation of people employing it.
    I agree with you on some of your points. On balance I believe there's more flavor benefit from the "slow toast" than the "cut last" part of the equasion. And yes, you do have to give up the pre-light draw. But I'm doing this method full time now and I'm really enjoying it. A good cutter is a must. (xikar) And, it does take a little practice to become at ease with it but I think it's worth it. The main point I believe is to keep temperatures down to a minimum during the lighting process. I've got it down pretty good. Maybe someone new to it might find it a little difficult. I wish I could show you. (If I ever get set up with a good camera, I'll post a youtube video. I don't see anyone on youtube that lights a foot as delicately as I do. LOL) My only problem with my routine it is that a tight draw may only reveal itself after the cut. I'm glad it doesn't happen often.
    Seen it done many times, done it many times. The "advantage" of that first draw is so minimal if at all, to me it's no worth it, especially if you get a bad cut or have a bad draw. To each his own, I just think the thought of that first draw being better is psychological. I've heard so many things over the years, whatever works best for you, is what is right really.
    Cutting last is the least important part of the method I use. Taking extreme care not to scorch the head is the most important part. I think we can agree on that. I also think that there's a lot of scorching going on and most guys don't even realize they're doing it. I'm not saying taking these extra steps makes or breaks the entire cigar. I'm saying it helps a cigar taste less bitter (and therefore better) from the first puff. I'm not surprised that you or anyone else would be skeptical. I probably would be too. And I know I probably seem pretty **** about it, but I believe the way I do this is, for me, notably better, not psychologically better. I certainly don't expect that everybody else who would try it would think that it works. There's a lot of ways to mess it up and besides that the differences can be very subtle. I'm not dead certain of a lot of things cigar related but I'm certain of this, it ain't all in my head.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    If you think it's not psychological....then ain't it psychological? ;)I'm still waiting for a smarty pants to explain this! I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just want an explanation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I've been thinking of moving to matches or a soft flame. I know I scorch more than I need to but it's hard to avoid with a flame you have trouble seeing in the first place.
  • Options
    james40:
    I've been thinking of moving to matches or a soft flame. I know I scorch more than I need to but it's hard to avoid with a flame you have trouble seeing in the first place.
    Ain't that the truth! I can hardly see a jet flame at all if I'm outside during daylight.
  • Options
    Rain:
    If you think it's not psychological....then ain't it psychological? ;)I'm still waiting for a smarty pants to explain this! I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just want an explanation.
    Ahgg! Don't confuse me!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    Personally I am not a fan of the toast then cut method. I do not perceive any noticeable difference in flavor compared to a slow toast. You loose the dry draw, which I enjoy, and if you get a bad cut, you are already burning. I think the possibility for your experience going south with this method is higher, as it places a bit more stress on the cutting as the cigar is burning, at least that is my casual observation of people employing it.
    I agree with you on some of your points. On balance I believe there's more flavor benefit from the "slow toast" than the "cut last" part of the equasion. And yes, you do have to give up the pre-light draw. But I'm doing this method full time now and I'm really enjoying it. A good cutter is a must. (xikar) And, it does take a little practice to become at ease with it but I think it's worth it. The main point I believe is to keep temperatures down to a minimum during the lighting process. I've got it down pretty good. Maybe someone new to it might find it a little difficult. I wish I could show you. (If I ever get set up with a good camera, I'll post a youtube video. I don't see anyone on youtube that lights a foot as delicately as I do. LOL) My only problem with my routine it is that a tight draw may only reveal itself after the cut. I'm glad it doesn't happen often.
    Seen it done many times, done it many times. The "advantage" of that first draw is so minimal if at all, to me it's no worth it, especially if you get a bad cut or have a bad draw. To each his own, I just think the thought of that first draw being better is psychological. I've heard so many things over the years, whatever works best for you, is what is right really.
    Cutting last is the least important part of the method I use. Taking extreme care not to scorch the head is the most important part. I think we can agree on that. I also think that there's a lot of scorching going on and most guys don't even realize they're doing it. I'm not saying taking these extra steps makes or breaks the entire cigar. I'm saying it helps a cigar taste less bitter (and therefore better) from the first puff. I'm not surprised that you or anyone else would be skeptical. I probably would be too. And I know I probably seem pretty **** about it, but I believe the way I do this is, for me, notably better, not psychologically better. I certainly don't expect that everybody else who would try it would think that it works. There's a lot of ways to mess it up and besides that the differences can be very subtle. I'm not dead certain of a lot of things cigar related but I'm certain of this, it ain't all in my head.
    Of course it's psychological, you just proved that. You refuse to believe what you think is a better way of smoking may not actually have the given benefit you perceive to other smokers. Personally, I'd be amazed if anyone could tell a significant difference from first puff if handed the same cigar blindfolded, one precut, one not. If it works for you, cool, but it doesn't work for everyone, so you have to be objective, like everything else in the hobby. I lick the hell out of my caps, some don't. I use a bic, some use torches. I store at 65, others at 69. It's all psychological and subjective man. Only thing that isn't, is the *** bit Kuzi mentioned lol.
  • Options
    james40:
    I use a bic all the time. I slowly light the outside ring of the foot, and once that is lit, let the flame ride on the middle part of foot until there i one nice red even cherry. I blow on the tip as well. Works like a charm.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    james40:
    I use a bic all the time. I slowly light the outside ring of the foot, and once that is lit, let the flame ride on the middle part of foot until there i one nice red even cherry. I blow on the tip as well. Works like a charm.
    I'm guilty of BICing it up, too.
  • Options
    Rain:
    catfishbluezz:
    james40:
    I'm guilty of BICing it up, too.
    I always lit teh same way with a torch. The Bic thing started as my Bic is sitting on the porch for the pipe. I was too lazy to go back in and get my torch. Kept going with the bic... i use a torch when I go out though.
  • Options
    chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    I always use a torch (partly because what guy doesn't like playing with a torch right?) but a BIC is butane as well, its odorless, why would it make a difference?
  • Options
    chrislolds:
    I always use a torch (partly because what guy doesn't like playing with a torch right?) but a BIC is butane as well, its odorless, why would it make a difference?
    I'm sure there is a reason, and maybe some people can taste it.......but I can't taste it or give you one. Maybe because lighting a gar with a bic is frowned at?
  • Options
    Rain:
    chrislolds:
    I'm sure there is a reason, and maybe some people can taste it.......but I can't taste it or give you one. Maybe because lighting a gar with a bic is frowned at?
    If you draw while holding the bic, folks say you can taste the fuel. I don't do that, so I do not know. I can tell you that would be the case with a Zippo.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    only time i can taste a bic is when lighting a pipe. but only from a pipe. Ive never noticed a taste in cigars or anything else from being lit with a bic.

A.j.
  • Options
    chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    I'm surprised some company hasn't come out with a cigar gimic like flavored matches or flavored butane.... you know, like infused cigars but from lighting them with the enhanced flavor matches/fuel....

I'm not saying it would be right or should be done, I wouldn't use them, but I bet it'd sell...
  • Options
    Grape strikes! I would buy that ***!
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    Bob Luken:
    catfishbluezz:
    Of course it's psychological, you just proved that. You refuse to believe what you think is a better way of smoking may not actually have the given benefit you perceive to other smokers. Personally, I'd be amazed if anyone could tell a significant difference from first puff if handed the same cigar blindfolded, one precut, one not. If it works for you, cool, but it doesn't work for everyone, so you have to be objective, like everything else in the hobby. I lick the hell out of my caps, some don't. I use a bic, some use torches. I store at 65, others at 69. It's all psychological and subjective man. Only thing that isn't, is the *** bit Kuzi mentioned lol.
    I've mentioned three times that the cut was not nearly as important as the light but you pretend like we're only talking about the cut. So, if you're not paying attention to the words I'm writing, I'm curious, …...what are you really objecting to?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    james40:
    Ain't that the truth! I can hardly see a jet flame at all if I'm outside during daylight.
    +1 - Spot on!
    I love my jet torchers but have a tendency to scorch the end as well ... even though I try to be careful with it, it just gets hard to see that torch sometimes.

Been trying to use matches more and more, I keep a few boxes in the garage so even if it's a breezy day I can step in the garage, get the cigar lit and going, then step back outside to enjoy the smoke.
    Been using simple Diamond kitchen matches from the grocery store, those things are dirt cheap.

I'd love to get some cedar spills or even a soft flame lighter but can't bring myself to spend the $$ on them. I'd rather save the $$ and spend it on cigars!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Bob Luken:
    james40:
    +1 - Spot on!
    I love my jet torchers but have a tendency to scorch the end as well ... even though I try to be careful with it, it just gets hard to see that torch sometimes.

Been trying to use matches more and more, I keep a few boxes in the garage so even if it's a breezy day I can step in the garage, get the cigar lit and going, then step back outside to enjoy the smoke.
    Been using simple Diamond kitchen matches from the grocery store, those things are dirt cheap.

I'd love to get some cedar spills or even a soft flame lighter but can't bring myself to spend the $$ on them. I'd rather save the $$ and spend it on cigars!
    Yeah me to. I've liked using them but I'm a cheap skate by heart. Someone in my house has to be that guy:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I used matches last night and I did see a noticeable difference in the cigar taste and heat upon first light and until finished. I'm going to experiment tomorrow night with a different cigar and vitola to see if I get the same experience. I just need to get longer matches. :-)
  • Options
    Make your own cedar spills. I hold two together like this, and they burn perfectly that way. Been doing this forever with my high end sticks, and you can taste the cedar on first draw. image image
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    MorganGeo:
    kuzi16:
    Best tip to keep things from going south: don't surround yourself with ****
    I would second this and also add to make sure your wife is not around. Sometimes the nagging or talking about what the drama at their jobs tends to take away from the enjoyment of smoking. lol

:( But my wife is my bestest smoking buddy ? :P
    I most look forward each day to the 1-2 hours I get to smoke with her in the afternoon
    Lucky, Blessed... Why yes I am :D
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Make your own cedar spills. I hold two together like this, and they burn perfectly that way. Been doing this forever with my high end sticks, and you can taste the cedar on first draw.
    Where do you get your cedar sheets from??....woodworking supply store? B&M? Interwebs?
    And what's the size of the sheets (aka how many spills can you get per/sheet)? Cost/sheet?

• Options
    honorknight7:
    MorganGeo:
    kuzi16:
    Best tip to keep things from going south: don't surround yourself with ****
    I would second this and also add to make sure your wife is not around. Sometimes the nagging or talking about what the drama at their jobs tends to take away from the enjoyment of smoking. lol

:( But my wife is my bestest smoking buddy ? :P
    I most look forward each day to the 1-2 hours I get to smoke with her in the afternoon
    Lucky, Blessed... Why yes I am :D
    Weekend mornings ....
    Sitting on the front porch swing ....
    With a fresh cup o' joe....
    A good cigar....
    The wife sitting next to me ....
    And the dog is laying in the front yard ....
    Doesn't get much better than that ....

I consider myself pretty lucky too :)

• Options
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    Make your own cedar spills. I hold two together like this, and they burn perfectly that way. Been doing this forever with my high end sticks, and you can taste the cedar on first draw.
    Where do you get your cedar sheets from??....woodworking supply store? B&M? Interwebs?
    And what's the size of the sheets (aka how many spills can you get per/sheet)? Cost/sheet?
    it's the sheets that come in boxes. You know a dress box that has two rows of cigars with a cedar sheet seperating them??? Just go to your shop, personally I save them from isom boxes, but shops should have tons of them lying around. I've been making them at the shop for years. They just toss them in a corner of the humi now.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    it's the sheets that come in boxes. You know a dress box that has two rows of cigars with a cedar sheet seperating them??? Just go to your shop, personally I save them from isom boxes, but shops should have tons of them lying around. I've been making them at the shop for years. They just toss them in a corner of the humi now.
    I always do this with cedar sleeves too. Works great. I love the cedar aroma and it does make you feel baller. My shop has complimentary spills too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    I always do this with cedar sleeves too. Works great. I love the cedar aroma and it does make you feel baller. My shop has complimentary spills too.
    Ahhh....those sheets.
    I know exactly what you're talking about now, thanks Dustin.

I've used cedar sleeves like Gray's talking about.....but never thought about using those divider sheets.
    Smart, I got quite a few of those sitting around...will have to try it.