Home General Discussion
Options

My first cigar for aging (on purpose)

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Bought the stick I'm gonna smoke on my brothers first wedding anniversary. :) she will have a year on her before she is enjoyed! What's the first special stick you aged?

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Always remember the first one don't we? Mine was a MOW Armada, only a year though, got 2 when I joined the COTMC. Got some Armada coronas now going on 2 years now in the humi. What is the cigar?
  • Options
    It's a Don Pepin Garcia 10th Anniversary. Question though... Should I age it in it's box and if so cello or no cello?
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I would do no cello and out of the box. Not sure if it makes a difference, but maybe the cello would slow the aging process? Probably does not make a huge difference either way, though.
  • Options
    DPG nice, have some My Fathers and good old DPG blues going on a year now.

I used to unwrap all my sticks and the ones that are over 2 years old are all un-cello'd burn and taste great. A humi full of unwrapped cigars smells so good when you open it and must enhance the flavors being next to one another naked. But I found I had to be really careful handling them when rotating them in the humi's, no matter how careful I was from time to time I would nick one. So now I leave them all in the cello for just that reason.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had the willpower. But it is getting easier to let some sit as my selection and quantity continue to grow
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I would remove it from the coffin but keep the cello on. The cello, some say, will slow the aging process but really not that much. The coffin seems to be more mold prone, however, so I always remove them.
  • Options
    At home now can see the pic, was at work before they block some links. Now my mouth is watering.
  • Options
    Lol the few DPGs I've had so far were amazing!!! Can't wait till next year to try this one! :)
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up some of these right away when they came out, I smoked one right away. It was a great smoke burned cool the whole way through. I had another a few days ago it was even better with the few months on it. I'm going to sit on the rest, I too am looking forward to the next time in the future to light it.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I age with no celo, just my preference. I save the celo, for shipping, and like a surgeon I put it back on if I can. I've found it really absorbs the cedar aroma better.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    A padron of course, that's what I aged first =]
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:

which padron was it?
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    For me, my first aged cigar was an Opus X. It was only a year old, but damn, it was good. Now, I have some that are almost 4 years old. Wonder how they are now.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    catfishbluezz:

which padron was it?
    64 maddy and some of the regular line. That's what got me into cigars. 64 maddy was the first cigar that piqued my interest, and I used to buy 1-2 at a time. I had a small humidor, still have it, and started storing in there. As I heard about the benefits of aging, I started buying more and aging them 6-12 months to see a difference. I only bought a few at a time back then, and smoked twice a week at most. Once I figured out how much of a difference aging made, that humi got full...then the net...then the next lol. Only thing I will say, is aging will not make an inferior cigar better, maybe more palatable, but still inferior.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a couple Decades that are from when I first started going on 4 years now.