Home General Discussion
Options

Under rated / Under the radar sticks

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious. Don't know if there's a thread already but what is your single most under rated/ under the radar smoke
Mine is the Cuavana Intensus, love these things and have never had a bad one.

Comments

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Right now, I'm feeling the Sol Cubana Cuban Cabinet.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Mine would be the only Gurkha i really like, Park Avenue
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    For me, the Oliva G Maduro and AJ Signature sumatra (now discontinued) are underrated. I also feel like the old Padilla Miami and Padilla Dominus blends were a bit underrated as well.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine would have to be the Cuban Stock Extra. Great smoke! My B&M only carried them for a few months. Since my humi is still full I don't have the heart or space to order any more for myself. Lol
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Beat me to it! I think this cigar never gets the love it deserves. You have to give it humi-time, takes about 6 weeks for me to start getting the right flavors from it. Also, it begs, no, DEMANDS to be smoked slowly. If you'll do these two things, though, it's well worth the wait, and decidedly worth the money. I like the Toros best, after that, the #4 is an awesome after-lunch smoke.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    For me, the Oliva G Maduro and AJ Signature sumatra (now discontinued) are underrated. I also feel like the old Padilla Miami and Padilla Dominus blends were a bit underrated as well.
    I like those Oliva G's a lot, too. And I really miss the old Padilla Miami.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    I know it has been said but, the original Padilla Miami Maduro is my under rated pick. I got a box at Cigar Fest 3 years ago maybe and they were under $75.00 back then. Just a really good stick. Second to that would be the Lucky 13 corona, another very under rated stick.
  • Options
    Martel:
    Did they just re-do the bands or has the blend completely changed since I last checked in 2011?
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    VUDU and Xikar Maduro.... both totally underated.

Aj
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    Martel:
    Did they just re-do the bands or has the blend completely changed since I last checked in 2011?
    Same girl in a different dress. I like the cedar wrap, myself, although some seem to have mold problems with them. I never have.

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    wwhwang:
    Martel:
    Same girl in a different dress. I like the cedar wrap, myself, although some seem to have mold problems with them. I never have.
    Nice. Thanks for the info. I've always been a fan of AJ. I'll have to give the Sol Cubano another try. I had it ROTT when I was a newbie and didn't like it then. Maybe my palate's changed.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Just curious. Don't know if there's a thread already but what is your single most under rated/ under the radar smoke
    they are on clearance 20 for 39.99 right now
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    regius stuff is pretty good. el cedro too.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Amos Umwhat:
    wwhwang:
    Martel:
    Nice. Thanks for the info. I've always been a fan of AJ. I'll have to give the Sol Cubano another try. I had it ROTT when I was a newbie and didn't like it then. Maybe my palate's changed.
    I got some and thought I had the wrong stick based on the pictures, but the label said Cuban Cabinet, so I went with it! It's an affordable cigar, but there's no "for the price" attached to my evaluation of "good" for this one. I do agree you have to smoke it slow. It went great with an Abita Andygator Helles Dopplebock, too...
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    Rhamlin:
    Damn! I should have checked for that before I ordered. I don't think the Warden will allow another purchase this quickly.

Why'd you have to tell everybody that?

Of course, you told me too, so you're forgiven.

• Options
    brianetz1:
    Rhamlin:
    Damn! I should have checked for that before I ordered. I don't think the Warden will allow another purchase this quickly.

• Options
    wwhwang:
    Amos Umwhat:
    wwhwang:
    Martel:
    Yep. My first one had 3 - 4 months on it. I loved it! Ordered a flight sampler right away. Couldn't wait and smoked one ROTT. Bleh! I was so disappointed! A few weeks later, they started improving. 2 - 3 months and they're great again. So it goes.

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Just beating a dead horse here, but I'm gonna again say the Perdomo Lot 23.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Kristoff Sumatra. I've had a few of the lanceros and they're really good!
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    Kristoff Sumatra. I've had a few of the lanceros and they're really good!
    I agree a million times.

Aj
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    I'm yet to try these. Any particular wrapper you like?
  • Options
    gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    Oliva V Maduro, loved every year but the 13 is my favorite.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    No_one21:
    I'm yet to try these. Any particular wrapper you like?
    Not really. One person said the maduro was bad but I've liked each one equally tbh. I did a small review a bit recently but I'm hardly knowledgeable: http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/767494.aspx
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    Another perdomo that is underrated in my opinion is the habano with the criollo wrapper. Rested a fiver minus the cello for a few months and they were delicious.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    AJ Fresh Rolled.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Jesus Fuego 777 Maduro

Hickory smoke on the palate when retrohaling was enough to get me to buy a 10er of the coronas.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    Jesus Fuego 777 Maduro

Hickory smoke on the palate when retrohaling was enough to get me to buy a 10er of the coronas.
    Same blender, different stick for me. I'd go with the J. Fuego Origen Original. Delicious short smoke that few seem to be aware of.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    allsmokedup:
    Jesus Fuego 777 Maduro

Same blender, different stick for me. I'd go with the J. Fuego Origen Original. Delicious short smoke that few seem to be aware of.

Yeah, I've had it. Not really underrated, I've seen a lot of places talk it up. Have you tried the Original Maduro? Really good too!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    brianetz1:
    Rhamlin:

Nice I might have to jump on this if there's any money left in my paycheck. Some great feedback here. Quite a few I haven't tried and a few I need to get again. I'd always wondered about the Origin.
  • Options
    TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
    I really like Fighting ***. So much awesome flavor(reminds me of Graham Crackers), and had no problems with the 30+ sticks I've had. Not bad for less than a buck a pop.

EDIT:Fighting C O C K. It wont let put those letters together.