Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Just promoted!!

perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
So my executive and my supervisor just announced that I'll be taking over when my supervisor retires in July, which is good for me for the experience and because my exec wants to expand the position beyond what it is now to sort of less than a department director but more than the division manager it is now (I work for a local government). My two (female) coworkers just took it in bitchy silence and gave us the silent treatment the rest of the day (oh ow, it hurts me so much!).

So, those of you who have been promoted from the ranks, any advice for a new supervisor? At present I only have 2.5 FTE to manage, but that may change, and support three electeds and one executive. I have never really been friends with my coworkers (learned that lesson the hard way at my last job) so i'm not worried about the "losing friends" aspect that normally happens.

Comments

• Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I haven't been but we have had several promoted from our shop to be our bosses. I can say... if you know what you did... you can make the decisions that are pertainingto the actual work. Follow the rules but take care of the people that will be making or breaking you. ie don't pick the fly poo out of the pepper.

I hate micromanagement. I would suggest letting your people do what they do. Just my 2¢.

Congratulations on the promotion and celebrate in style.
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Time for a nice smoke
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice to you is this: measure your success not in what you accomplish but what those that report to you accomplish. Take all the blame and pass off the praise to them. Never fire anyone but motivate those that need it to find more suitable work.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Boss man! Just as long as you treat your employees with respect and set a consistent example of what you expect from the them, you should be fine. I've always respected the bosses I've had who were willing to put in the work just like me. Now it doesn't always work that way, some people will try to get over on you no matter how good of a boss you are. For those folks I say be professional, treat them firmly and fairly by the book, and try not to take it personal when they get under your skin. Or you could always go Donald Trump on them-"you're fired", although I believe that's trademarked so you'd probably have to pay old Trump if you use his line. Good Luck
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    My advice to you is this: measure your success not in what you accomplish but what those that report to you accomplish. Take all the blame and pass off the praise to them. Never fire anyone but motivate those that need it to find more suitable work.

Eric's got it pretty well nailed. My particular management style was management by exception. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Let folks do what they do best, take responsibility for screw-ups and give the praise to your subordinates who brought about said praise. Encourage your subordinates to take on more responsibility that will prepare them to take over your job. You get promoted by readying your replacements.

Nice going... And congratulations on the promotion.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, that pretty much gels with the way I prefer to lead. Whenever I've led a team I try to keep in mind a saying often attributed to Warren Buffet: "The secret to success is hiring people smarter than you then getting out of their way." I've been fortunate to have some very good and very bad examples to learn from.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

I remember when I made Sergeant while I was in the army. Funny, people who weren't my friends, had never used my first name, suddenly felt a need to call me by my first name. Hmm. Head up, called them by their rank at work, first name after, and that usually worked.

Enjoy that silence, while it lasts. Hopefully they'll soon realize that the right decision was made. Or, they may conclude gender bias. It's VERY popular, you know.

You'll do great! Congrats again. :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    Thanks guys, that pretty much gels with the way I prefer to lead. Whenever I've led a team I try to keep in mind a saying often attributed to Warren Buffet: "The secret to success is hiring people smarter than you then getting out of their way." I've been fortunate to have some very good and very bad examples to learn from.

Congrats. Encourage people to accept responsibility when something goes wrong and not be afraid to admit that they don't know something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congratulations. All good advice and it's good you aren't friend friends with the fte's.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. Hxll knows no furry blah blah. Hope it came with a good raise. Reserved parking spot..?

Coming from the ranks is a huge advantage, you already know who is dependable and who isn't. Be curious to hear how the bxtchy silence changes.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome man congrats!! Thanks for some good news!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats man!!!!!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.