Home General Discussion
Options

humidor

I have a 100 stick 5vegas that wont hold 70% with cigar juice I have reseasoned it twice got it up to 90% for a weekend or three days and it just wont hold more than 60 65 no matter how many sticks are in it What am I doing wrong. I have even used three humidifiers. Or do I need a new one this one is a year old.

Comments

• Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Have you checked the seal on it? only thing i can think of
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    gmcgmc Posts: 21
    Ya there are no cracks or warpage I just dont get it for the first 6 months it kept perfect!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell us about the hygrometer. You may have done everything right on your hygrometer set up but I felt like that was the first thing to think about. Have you calibrated it lately? Is it a nice digital upgrade or the original analog?
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put a flashlight in it turned on close the lid and turn out the lights. If any light shines thru then you got a leak. Or do the dollar bill test.
  • Options
    I have a digital but have not calibrated it just assumed it was good
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK. Can you be specific about which type of hygrometer? Some of the newer model xikar hygrometers are getting a lot of complaints because they cannot be manually reset during calibration and, from what I've heard, some give innacurate readings. If you have one of these new xikars, you might consider a return or exchange. They should be willing to exchange it at your local B&M. Maybe the next one would perform better. At the very least a new one would have a fresh battery.

Xikar has always had great "satisfaction guaranteed" "full replacement/exchange" service. Too bad they have a problem with this new type of hygrometer.

Speaking of batteries, that's another thing to consider. Sometimes hygrometer batteries last like the energizer bunny and sometimes they don't. Also, sometimes it's obvious that the battery is weak and sometimes they just start to perform strangely. If you've been using it for less than six or eight months with what you know for sure was fresh batteries, then you shouldn't need new ones. If you are unsure, you could just go ahead and get new batteries. I keep saying batteries, plural. I'm pretty sure it's just one in the xikar small round model. LOL

Next thing to do is to calibrate. Boveda makes a kit that is foolproof, or you can google the salt-test method for some do-it-yourself fun using salt and a ziplock. Remember, if you use the salt-test method, don't get the sand too wet. It's supposed to appear like wet sand on the beach, not quicksand in the swamp. LOL

Also consider using Boveda packets in your humi instead of or along with your cigar juice.

And BTW, 65% RH is a magic number that a lot of BOTLs swear by. Me included.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    gmc:
    I have a 100 stick 5vegas that wont hold 70% with cigar juice I have reseasoned it twice got it up to 90% for a weekend or three days and it just wont hold more than 60 65 no matter how many sticks are in it What am I doing wrong. I have even used three humidifiers. Or do I need a new one this one is a year old.
    A year old, is this a new problem or it never held 70%? Sounds like a leak issue, try placing a few books on top. I always use 2 hygro's per humi and average them as they are never the same, but within a few points.
  • Options
    Thanks btw the hygrometer was a black plastic one I bought from this site was not a high dollar one but your right I've been thinking of Boveda packs maybe its time. I was told 70% but maybe thats his preference. Maybe the gar juice cant hold a steady level. But thank you for the info I was ready to see how well Spanish cedar worked in a camp fire, maybe I'll hold off on that for awhile. LOL. ,
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    gmc:
    . But thank you for the info I was ready to see how well Spanish cedar worked in a camp fire, maybe I'll hold off on that for awhile. LOL. ,
    Oh don't do that! Someone here with more patience to tinker with it will gladly take it off your hands.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice so far... Calibrate hygro with salt test. Check seal...

If you are using foam humidifiers and propylene glycol, be sure to add plain distilled water after the foam is charged with the juice. Sometimes too much PG will not humidify well, especially after a while. In short, there is too much PG and not enough water for it to act on and maintain humidity. Too much PG will gunk up a humidifier.

You can always try gel, beads or boveda too.

Like Bob said, low to 60s rh isn't a bad thing. The cigar will certainly be fine the the 60's range.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America