Home Non Cigar Related

No sleep

PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who else just can't sleep? It seems to me that no matter how long I've been working and have o stay awake, most nights/mornings I still can't fall asleep. Any one else have this problem?
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
MOW badge received.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel for you bro. That must be rough. My problem is a little different.. I don't have any trouble falling asleep, but sometimes I have problems getting back to sleep if I wake up during the middle of the night.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being two years older than dirt, I have the same problem Bob has. I get to sleep right away, then I wake up several times a night and have trouble getting back to sleep. Fifteen minutes before the alarm goes off, I can sleep like a baby!

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    Who else just can't sleep? It seems to me that no matter how long I've been working and have o stay awake, most nights/mornings I still can't fall asleep. Any one else have this problem?

Been having sleep problems for about 4 months or longer. No matter when I go to bed, no matter what I had been doing all day I found the clock to be making its way to 2 or 3am and no sleep. Eyes were tired and body was tired. Benadryl (doctors recommendation) use to help but stopped working. I have found recently that new pillows and sleeping in new positions has offered some relief. And at times, very long and like a log relief. So, I am ordering a gazillion pillows and teaching myself some really strange positions to sleep in.

Unlike previous posters I have no problem going back to sleep after letting the dogs out, relief and staring at "SPRINT".

My next stop will be new glasses with "gamma" blocking. Interesting read on that on the internet.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Fortunately, I don't have that problem. You can change your circadian rhythm by changing your eating habits for 1 day. By doing that it should help you fall asleep earlier, because the time you eat helps determine when you're going to fall asleep.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    I'm an insomniac. I have troubles going to sleep and staying asleep.
    I've been checked for sleep apnea and other things.
    Maletonin works occasionally, but not often.
    For some reason though, I can fall asleep an hour before I have to get up. Go figure.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    Being two years older than dirt, I have the same problem Bob has. I get to sleep right away, then I wake up several times a night and have trouble getting back to sleep. Fifteen minutes before the alarm goes off, I can sleep like a baby!

Possible sleep apnea? Disruption of the normal stages of sleep because of snoring and gasping for air.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    YankeeMan:

Possible sleep apnea? Disruption of the normal stages of sleep because of snoring and gasping for air.
    I had trouble for ever with neck pain due to broad shoulders and a side sleepers. Not sure if posing outside links is kosher..but http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/side-sleeper-pillows This pillow literally goes with me almost every trip is take. It's not cheap but no more pain, and I sleep almost all night.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    I used to sleep great, but ever since 2009 when I hurt my back and had to have the titanium cage, teflon discs, and cadaver bone installed (and the surgeon accidentally cut my sciatic nerve that goes down my legs during the operation) I don't get more then 15-20 minutes at a time (cant stay in one position more than that whether laying down, sitting, standing) I will get comfortable, fall asleep, then wake up within 15-20 mins from nerve pain until I move a bit, rinse & repeat. That combined with having to take norco once in a while that will keep me up on its own. I will average 4 hours total a day overall broken sleep
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    In college I was an insomniac, I would go several days in a row without sleep and then crash from exhaustion. The first couple days were crazy productive since I had 24 full hours to work with, but the last day or so were....interesting. For me it was mostly stress induced, I'd close my eyes and my brain would just spin up and not settle down. To get me through the worst parts I had a prescription for Xanax that worked wonders (only drug I've ever thought I could see getting hooked on). Looking back, it was also an early symptom of depression. But as the rest of the guys have said it could be a number of things, if you haven't already you should talk to your doctor. my boss has a CPAP breathing machine, don't ask what it stands for I don't know, and that is the only way she can sleep (and no, not first hand knowledge, she told me, you pervs ;->). It's the thing Junior Soprano had to have after he fell down the stairs at the courthouse.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Darktower007:
    Bigshizza:
    YankeeMan:

I had trouble for ever with neck pain due to broad shoulders and a side sleepers. Not sure if posing outside links is kosher..but http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/side-sleeper-pillows This pillow literally goes with me almost every trip is take. It's not cheap but no more pain, and I sleep almost all night.
    these really work? im suffering alot from the side sleeper/wide shoulders issue. which one would you reccomend?

Aj
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over the years I've tried diffrent things, for me nothing seems to work. Once I fall asleep I sleep well unless disturbed. It's just falling asleep that is the hard part. I feel for those of you that can't fall back asleep.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    Sex. Sex is the answer to a good night's sleep.

Lacking that, good hard aerobic exercise.

But the best way to get that is....

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... till Brooklyn, DUN DUN DUN ....
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR