Home General Discussion
Options

I need another humidor

I am only 5 months into the wonderful world of cigars, but I think I need more storage for my cigars already.  I have a 75 count humidor, it is about full and even though I don't have a lot of time to smoke I always want to buy more cigars.  So here is my question, do I buy a larger humidor to upgrade or a smaller one just to handle the overflow?

Comments

• Options
    If I where you I would keep the one you have now as your "smoking humidor" and then if your crafty you can look at putting together a coolador or a a wine firdge a dor. If money is no object grab a 200-350 ct humidor in addition to the one you have it should be enough space...
    looks like you have caught the bug my friend!! its a slippery slope so prepare for it!
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    bobd:
    I am only 5 months into the wonderful world of cigars, but I think I need more storage for my cigars already.  I have a 75 count humidor, it is about full and even though I don't have a lot of time to smoke I always want to buy more cigars.  So here is my question, do I buy a larger humidor to upgrade or a smaller one just to handle the overflow?
    Buy a plastic bin and beads. Save money for cigars.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    well a plastic bin would work, but you should really put any cigars in a cedar enclosure. I would say maybe a 300 - 400 sized humi, or a cabinet. That way your covered.
  • Options
    manjimanji Posts: 28
    I can't believe it hasn't been posted yet? Time to build a walk in!
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    phobicsquirrel:
    well a plastic bin would work, but you should really put any cigars in a cedar enclosure.....
    What are some of the dangers of the plastic bid vs. the ceder enclosure? (Major newbie question i know) I mean if it works and it's cheaper than why is it important?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    phobicsquirrel:
    well a plastic bin would work, but you should really put any cigars in a cedar enclosure.....
    What are some of the dangers of the plastic bid vs. the ceder enclosure? (Major newbie question i know) I mean if it works and it's cheaper than why is it important?
    Plastic bins just have two things slightly wrong
    1. Plastic Smell
    2. Don't absorb or release Rh... so if it's airtight your basically gonna see your Rh go up and uP and UP!

Other than that, it works and I've used it for many months no problems, I just took a hot glue gun and lined the sides of it with Cedar... BOOYA!
  • Options
    Cole54Cole54 Posts: 18
    I'm about to be picking something up for aging and box storage. Should probably just build a coolador, but damn I wouldn't mind making a Wine fridge ador though I havent found any good deals on any wine fridges... anyone have any suggestions of where I could find a good deal?
  • Options
    Cole54:
    I'm about to be picking something up for aging and box storage. Should probably just build a coolador, but damn I wouldn't mind making a Wine fridge ador though I havent found any good deals on any wine fridges... anyone have any suggestions of where I could find a good deal?
    I have hunted and hunted and found this one to be the best deal out there. (I don't have this one, I have a Vinotemp that is already full

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AW-280E.htm
  • Options
    Cole54Cole54 Posts: 18

I found that deal on amazon.com the other day... it was by far the best deal I saw too.... I'm gonna hunt around town, but I may end up going with this one.

Anyone have this model?

• Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I have heard people complain about getting mold, or beetles or other various problems. Hopefully I will never have such a problem. But it does make me wonder if it isn't a better idea to have several humidors, rather than one large one. I would hate to have a problem with say a cooler full of 1000 smokes.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Theedge:
    I have heard people complain about getting mold, or beetles or other various problems. Hopefully I will never have such a problem. But it does make me wonder if it isn't a better idea to have several humidors, rather than one large one. I would hate to have a problem with say a cooler full of 1000 smokes. Just a thought.
    The only problem I would have with a Humi with 1000 smokes is "Which ONE first???"
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    If you store boxes in a cooler/bin like I do, then there is no problem. Also one can just line the bin/cooler with broken down cigar boxes.
    Lasabar:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Plastic bins just have two things slightly wrong
    1. Plastic Smell
    2. Don't absorb or release Rh... so if it's airtight your basically gonna see your Rh go up and uP and UP!

Other than that, it works and I've used it for many months no problems, I just took a hot glue gun and lined the sides of it with Cedar... BOOYA!
    1: You put some newspaper in the bin for a day and it doesn't smell.
    2: Use something that levels out at a certain RH, like beads or a Cigar Oasis.