Home Cigar 101
Options

New humidor and hygrometers

2»

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    ok salt test going lip lock bag meter on below 0. going to leave it for the rest of the weekend just look at it to see where it is . when you turn it from the back side to calibrate the hand will move to 75 and as soon as I let it go it will spring back to 0 that is ok right? then it should move closer to 75 each time correct as the test continues?
    If I'm understanding your question correctly....

Yes, the salt test should cause the dial to move ....
    If the hygrometer reads below 75 before you start the test, then yes it should move up, towards that 75% mark.

Retircs1:
    ok I am continuing the salt test the reading was 10 % then it went back down and then back up to 10% hve not adjusted it
    Hmm....was it at 0% (or very close to it) when you started the test?
    If so I would guess that.....your hygrometer is way out whack.

It could have been "shaken around" during transporting, while you were removing it, etc. But there's a small spring inside the hygrometer that moves the dial as the RH changes....if the spring has been "unwound" or "shaken up" and the hygrometer was reading 0, you may not be able to raise the RH enough during the test to get it to 75% (even if you do the salt test correctly.)

Try adjusting the hygrometer up to 40% or so right now, and then check it again in a day or 2.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    "Try adjusting the hygrometer up to 40% or so right now, and then check it again in a day or 2. " I did that and the adjustment I would move the arm to 75 and it would just spring back to 0 or I mean it would go even lower than 0 arm pointing south strait to the bottom. hypothetical situation : meter bad put it back in humidor purchase a electronic one for the humidor and then start to work on seal etc... of just by a new one :)
  • Options
    Retircs1:
    "Try adjusting the hygrometer up to 40% or so right now, and then check it again in a day or 2. " I did that and the adjustment I would move the arm to 75 and it would just spring back to 0 or I mean it would go even lower than 0 arm pointing south strait to the bottom. hypothetical situation : meter bad put it back in humidor purchase a electronic one for the humidor and then start to work on seal etc... of just by a new one :)
    Oooohhhh....ok I got ya now.

Well then, hmm....that's not good.
    (Maybe someone else here will chime in as well) but I'd venture a guess that one of the internal parts of the hygrometer is broken. :-(

In that case, yes order yourself a new hygrometer. And you can put the "broken one" back in in the meantime so you can go about seasoning the humi, checking the seal, etc.
    Definitely recommend upgrading to a digital hygrometer, you can buy a front mount version here: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-HYG11

• Options
    ok so I would be able to purchase one from CC ok
  • Options
    Retircs1:
    ok so I would be able to purchase one from CC ok
    Yep, just make sure you get the front mount model for your style of humidor.

• Options
    the front mount one you recommend was not like the one that was in there is that ok? it will fit?
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can put the factory one back in for seal and use the new one for the gauge.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Retircs1:
    the front mount one you recommend was not like the one that was in there is that ok? it will fit?
    It should fit.

But to be safe, you might want to measure the opening on your humidor where the hygrometer fits....
    Then call or e-mail cigar.com and ask for the dimensions of this hygrometer to make sure it will fit properly....

• Options
    jgibv, thank you so much for your help I really do appreciate it. I my mother got this for me and if I can make it work I would like too. thank you , Retired CS1, USN
  • Options
    JRigsJRigs Posts: 24
    So, I may still need help. The RH dropped to 60 so I took out the cigars and put them in a tupperware with two 69 Boveda packs. I then put the sponge back in the humidor and let it sit for a few more days. It read 85 or so consistently for those few days. After I took the sponge out the humidor stayed around 70 for a day. I then restocked the humidor and put in two 72 Boveda packs. It seems now, and the humidor is pretty much full (although I have been chipping away at it), that the RH doesn't get much above 63. It hovers right at 63. Now it has been pretty dry for a few days, with cooler weather. But I guess I thought with the Boveda packs the RH would be higher if everything was stable inside. Any thoughts? I will say the cigars I'm having smoke just fine. In fact, I had five Ashton cigars shipped a while back. They took over a week to get here, and when I smoked one, and it was dry as hell and tasted pretty bitter and harsh. I had one last night however, and it seemed pretty perfect to me.
  • Options
    You may want to try recalibrating the hygrometer.
    Use one of your boveda packs to calibrate it this time around (instead of the salt method.)

Give it 48 hours or so and see if the hygrometer matches the RH % of the boveda pack.
    If it doesn't match, then adjust your hygrometer so it reads the same % of the boveda pack.
    JRigs:
    I will say the cigars I'm having smoke just fine. ...... I had one last night however, and it seemed pretty perfect to me.
    Then I would say, other than recalibrating the hygrometer, don't mess with anything else.
    Sounds like the humi was seasoned properly and you have the correct amount of humidification.

• Options
    Ok got the Humidor runny like a champ meter is reading 69% receiving more sticks tomorrow from CC Arganese Mundor :) now I do not have all of the draws filled with sticks yet I was told to put some bubble wrap or foam in the draws I will not be using until I have cigars for them. I wa told this is because you would be humitfying space for nothing is that sound add vice? and is Styrofoam ok ?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on achieving stable humidity in your humidor.

The bubble wrap will be OK but not sure if it will help a lot. The wood inside will still need to maintain it's moisture absorption but the air inside is all that you would be displacing with bubble wrap, so In my estimation it will not help much but it won't hurt either as long as the bubble wrap is not giving off any bad odors.

Styrofoam I think is a bad idea. Most of the time that stuff smells pretty bad. You don't want those odors inside your humidor.
  • Options
    thank you Bob Luken for the input I really appreciate it v/r retircs1
  • Options
    Getting this cigar thing right is a real pain. So I'm already beginning to outgrow my 50 ct so I bought a 150 ct, which should be good for a while. I still plan to use the old one as well. First off I got a new humidor off CCOM and the hinge is loose. Not where it is bolted in but rather the arc part of the hinge that guides the lid down. only the right side. Don't know what to do, or if that is a big problem. It'll be a real hassle to send that back. The next thing is that the humidor came with a digital hygrometer. It said not to calibrate it, as it comes calibrated, and, actually, there doesn't appear to be a way to calibrate it at all. I did a boveda test and waited more than 24 hours, but the humidity level fluctuated constantly, generally 3 or 4 percentage points above 75. I would say it is just off, but the fact that it was still fluctuating-- I don't get why it would do that rather than settle somewhere. I suppose I should buy a new hygrometer?
  • Options
    JRigs:
    Getting this cigar thing right is a real pain. So I'm already beginning to outgrow my 50 ct so I bought a 150 ct, which should be good for a while. I still plan to use the old one as well. First off I got a new humidor off CCOM and the hinge is loose. Not where it is bolted in but rather the arc part of the hinge that guides the lid down. only the right side. Don't know what to do, or if that is a big problem. It'll be a real hassle to send that back. The next thing is that the humidor came with a digital hygrometer. It said not to calibrate it, as it comes calibrated, and, actually, there doesn't appear to be a way to calibrate it at all. I did a boveda test and waited more than 24 hours, but the humidity level fluctuated constantly, generally 3 or 4 percentage points above 75. I would say it is just off, but the fact that it was still fluctuating-- I don't get why it would do that rather than settle somewhere. I suppose I should buy a new hygrometer?
    You bought it all from Cigar.com???

Call them about the hinge.
    They'll get you fixed up.

And give the hygrometer another 24-48 hours to level out....if it's still going crazy then you may have just got a "bad" hygrometer, it happens ....
    In that case, let CCOM know about it and I'd bet they'll send you a replacement hygro

• Options
    jgibv:
    JRigs:
    You bought it all from Cigar.com???

Call them about the hinge.
    They'll get you fixed up.

And give the hygrometer another 24-48 hours to level out....if it's still going crazy then you may have just got a "bad" hygrometer, it happens ....
    In that case, let CCOM know about it and I'd bet they'll send you a replacement hygro
    I emailed then called CCOM about the hinge and hygrometer. He seemed to think that the hinge won't be an issue. It isn't where it is screwed in, but rather that arched piece that guides the hinge and keeps the lid upright when opened. The right side wiggles. It isn't an issue now I just worry that I'll season it and everything will be up and running and that piece will break. But he doesn't see a problem. The hygrometer came with the box and is a no-name hygrometer. I was told that it is common for hygrometers to be within +/- 5% and that if it reads a little high I should just read it as two or three points lower. I like that the hygrometer has a big face, and am inclined to keep it, but part of me is a bit of a perfectionist so possibly I am better off buying a more accurate, adjustable hygrometer?