Home Cigar 101
Options

Coolidor question

CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been getting my coolidor set up over the past few days. The hygrometer has been at 72 for a couple days now, with three empty cigar boxes also being seasoned. I know that's a little high, but I expect it to come down when I add cigars to it.
My question is in regards to cedar trays. I ordered three the other day (custom fit to fill half of my 48 qt cooler from wineador.com) and was wondering how I should 'introduce' them to my coolidor. Should I wipe them down with a damp rag before I put them in? Or should I season them in another container with a wet sponge, like a humidor? They will undoubtedly soak up a lot of moisture if I put them in dry.
Anybody have a similar experience?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Toss them in and give them a couple days to get seasoned. Congrats on your purchase bro.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Season all your wood right in the cooler before adding your cigars. The cooler itself needs no seasoning, just cleaning.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Season all your wood right in the cooler before adding your cigars. The cooler itself needs no seasoning, just cleaning.
    This ^^^^.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    It might be weeks before I get my trays. I need space now. That is why I am seasoning a few empty boxes in there.
    I decided I will just season the new trays the same way in a separate cooler and then put them in the coolidor.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    When you say "coolidor" are you talking about a wine fridge or an igloo type ice chest? Just making sure I am with you all the way in understanding what your working with here.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    When you say "coolidor" are you talking about a wine fridge or an igloo type ice chest? Just making sure I am with you all the way in understanding what your working with here.

It's a cooler (Igloo or otherwise) that has been converted into a humidor.
    Here's a picture of mine:
    photo 20140425_124507_zpsd4ny2fyg.jpg
  • Options
    Toombes:
    FireRob:

Yep. 48 qt Coleman.
    The more I think about it, I will have to season the trays separately, rather than add them to my cooler dry. They would absorb a lot of humidity and it would take forever to get back to a stable environment.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily. You could do one tray at a time, give it a thorough wipe down and monitor your humidity once or twice each day to make sure it doesn't dip too low. If it does wipe it down again. Once one tray is acclimated do the next.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    FireRob:

lot of empty space in that cooler
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    Toombes:
    FireRob:

lot of empty space in that cooler

Shut yer chew hole, Sherm!
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Not necessarily. You could do one tray at a time, give it a thorough wipe down and monitor your humidity once or twice each day to make sure it doesn't dip too low. If it does wipe it down again. Once one tray is acclimated do the next.
    Sounds like a good plan.