Home Cigar 101
Options

Question Re Packing Cigars for a Move

I currently have cigars in a humidor. I am moving from Greece to Mexico City and need to know the best way to pack my cigars/humidor for shipping to Mexico. These items will be shipped with all my household effects. Should I take the cigars out of the humidor and pack a different way or just pack the humidor with cigars in it. Appreciate advice on how to do this as it's a first.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    id pack up the cigars into sealed plastic containers like sterolite or tupperware. any extra space in those boxes i would take up with new clean cloth. throw in a few water pillows and tape shut.

as for the humidor itself, i would pack that like any fragile box. make sure to re season when you get to your new place.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    id pack up the cigars into sealed plastic containers like sterolite or tupperware. any extra space in those boxes i would take up with new clean cloth. throw in a few water pillows and tape shut.

as for the humidor itself, i would pack that like any fragile box. make sure to re season when you get to your new place.
    +1. This is what I did when I moved from the US to Canada. As with all post offices, though, it might be safe to expect at least some damage. When I moved, the Canadian post office was rough on everything.

I should have put in more insulation though :( Lost several cigars due to damage from the PO.
  • Options
    I guess I should mention that we won't be unpacking these for over a month as they are not going via post office they are being packed and moved with our household effects.
  • Options
    CAMDESPERADO:
    I guess I should mention that we won't be unpacking these for over a month as they are not going via post office they are being packed and moved with our household effects.
    exaclty why plastic is the way to go. it seals well for a long time. with the water pillows it should all be good.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I am moving from Central America to Thailand with my 5000+ cigars and 43 humidors. I will put all my cigars in huge five day cooler(haven't figure it out how many I will need yet) with cedar trays and many 65 Boveda Humipak. My household goods will wait in Belgium for two months while I am in Washington DC for consultation. Most probably the cigars will be inside the cooler 3-4 months until I open them. I don't know what to expect but that's the best method I can think about for now. I am thinking to build a walking humidor if I have enough space in my house in Thailand. I am tired of cigar maintenance in individual humidors. Too much work.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I would highly recommend freezing before long term storage gents just to be safe...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I would highly recommend freezing before long term storage gents just to be safe...
    Yep. This is something to think about. How long will the cigars be stored or transported above optimal temperatures? By properly freezing them beforehand, there would be less worry over the possibility of a beetle outbreak.

Also, does someone somewhere provide a moving/storage service for guys that need to move their sizable and valuable stashes? There are companies that provide services like this, aren't there? If not, somebody should start one.
  • Options
    How do you properly freeze them? I estimate they will be in a packing crate for possibly up to 3 months. I'm now wondering if we should ship them via USPS insured to ourselves and have someone hold them for us on the other end--thought they'd still be in a box but normal room temperature once they arrive not in a crate somewhere.
  • Options
    That is not a bad idea.
  • Options
    Put the cigars in big ziplock bags without humidifiers and with as little air as possible, then stick them in the freezer for about 3 or 4 days. After that, put them in the fridge for 2 days. Then, room temp without humidification for 1 or 2 days, then re-humidify slowly and pack them for transit.
  • Options
    ...then rehumidify slowly?
  • Options
    For example, if you usually have a humidor with two humidifiers, put in a small humi-pak (like the ones that come with CCom orders) for a day, then put one humidifier in for a day, then both.
  • Options
    I've been freezing for quite some time now. I put them in a ziploc, suck all the air out, put them in the freezer for a week. You can put them in the fridge for a day after that if you want, but I normally just take them out, open the bag and let them air out for a day, then toss them in the humi. Depending on how low your freezer goes, the amount of days may need to be longer. At -6 degrees, 3-4 days should be safe. Any less, I would say a week.
  • Options
    OK now I'm confused. I have to freeze and rehumidify before packing for storage (up to 3 months)?
  • Options
    chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    CAMDESPERADO:
    OK now I'm confused. I have to freeze and rehumidify before packing for storage (up to 3 months)?
    Everyone is completely wrong on this... The correct way to perform this would be to invite all your friends over to help you pack your cigars, and instead have a huge herf and smoke em all. Any left overs use to bomb the big players here on the forum, PM me for names and addresses of those who need a good beat down. After you've finished your move with your empty humidor then you let us know ;)
  • Options
    CAMDESPERADO:
    I know this is all confusing for you, so let me ask a few questions. Is it just one humidor? How many cigars? If you don't have time to devote to the freezing process you could consider separating them and packing them into many smaller plastic containers as kuzi suggested. That way if there's a beetle outbreak while in storage or shipping it might be contained to only one container. Also, you mentioned shipping your cigars and humidor separate from your household goods to a trusted person that could monitor your cigars. This sounds like a good idea to me. They would be better off to stay in air conditioned temperatures where beetle problems will be less of a risk.
  • Options
    Thanks. So if someone holds on to them and mails to us (in transit circa 2 weeks) we don't have to freeze? I saw a travel humidor on Amazon. Would it work to put them in and mail this container? http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Importers-40-Cigar-Waterproof-Humidor/dp/B0055QM9NA/ref=pd_sbs_hg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VGW2Q750472N5YNA4YZ
  • Options
    I recommended freezing because of the travel involved and amount of time you will nto be near the cigars and the potential for temp fluctuation. If a breakout happens, you loose cigars. Freezing is free, its a no brainer regardless of traveling or not, and deals with temperature, not humidity. That travel humidor is excellent and your cigars will be fine in it. A single large 65rh Boveda pack will keep your cigars perfect in it.
  • Options
    chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    CAMDESPERADO:
    Thanks. So if someone holds on to them and mails to us (in transit circa 2 weeks) we don't have to freeze? I saw a travel humidor on Amazon. Would it work to put them in and mail this container? http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Importers-40-Cigar-Waterproof-Humidor/dp/B0055QM9NA/ref=pd_sbs_hg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VGW2Q750472N5YNA4YZ
    I'd recommend you buy it right from this site, Cigar.com http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewCigar.asp?prod=M-BKOPSCASE-40 it not only supports the site and the forum it also is cheaper and the same case. Support CCOM whenever possible!

EDIT: Spend the money you saved by going with CCOM on faster shipping!
  • Options
    CAMDESPERADO:
    You don't have to freeze but it helps minimize the risk of an outbreak of beetles if your cigars must endure higher temperatures. If done properly it will kill off the adult, larvae and even the tiny egg stages of tobacco beetles life cycle. The process is easy for a few dozen cigars but for someone new to the freezing method it could seem like a lot to manage while also preparing for a big move. I can provide more specific details on freezing later this evening if you wish to try it. In my experience, with a few dozen cigars, it can be done in about a week. You will need ziplock bags and a thermometer that will be able to tell you exactly how cold your freezer gets. Zero degrees Fahrenheit or less would be best.

Could you perhaps bring the new forty count travel humidor along with, or inside your personal luggage? I would do that if possible and forget about the freezing routine.