Home General Discussion

Frozen...

matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
I received about 10 hand made churchills that my dad got in Little Havana in Miami. They have been in his freezer for about 4 months. I let them warm up a bit before putting them in the humi. How long do you suggest before they are ready to try?

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Comments

• chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    haha, I'm curious on this as well..

One of my buddies recently pulled a ISOM R&J out of his freezer, I asked how long it had been in there and he mentioned that its been buried in his freezer for 4yrs... Do they come back from that?
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    I received about 10 hand made churchills that my dad got in Little Havana in Miami. They have been in his freezer for about 4 months. I let them warm up a bit before putting them in the humi. How long do you suggest before they are ready to try?
    LET IT GO, LET IT GO, Turn away and slam the door

wait......oh ***, we are talking about a different frozen......my bad.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    I'm no expert but I have always heard 72 hours of freezing at -7 or below is enough. Then fridge for a day or two then humi. Only problem about the freezer is it's a very low humidity environment. Be careful on throwing them in a 65% humidor...splittsville??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Exactly, you want to gradually step down. General rule of thumb would be freezer for 24 hours, refrigerator for 24 hours, room temperature for 24 hours, and then your humidor to rest for at least a week. If you move to fast, you will shock the cigars and they will split, plump, fall apart, etc....
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    matkn293:

That is some funny sh*t. Do you want to build a snowman?

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    brianetz1:
    matkn293:

That is some funny sh*t. Do you want to build a snowman?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If cared for right...crap I've smoked stuff right out of the freezer but yeah bring it back slowly!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it may not come back fully.
    fridges and freezers have a way of sucking moisture out of things.
    4 months may be too long if it was not in a zip-loc.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Exactly, you want to gradually step down. General rule of thumb would be freezer for 24 hours, refrigerator for 24 hours, room temperature for 24 hours, and then your humidor to rest for at least a week. If you move to fast, you will shock the cigars and they will split, plump, fall apart, etc....
    Total thread jack here, but I have to say that I love seeing the Ccom tobacconists commenting on the forums. Their comments are always informative and it speaks volumes of their attitude towards customer service!
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    it may not come back fully.
    fridges and freezers have a way of sucking moisture out of things.
    4 months may be too long if it was not in a zip-loc.
    Luckily they were in a ziploc.