Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

This cigar stinks!

You know I smoked an Acid Kuba Kuba last night. I did not like it at all. The cigar had a chemical flavor to it and the outside wrapper burned a lot faster than the rest of the cigar. In fact the outside wrapper seemed to have melted away. While outside my apartment I was advised by people as they walked by that my cigar smelled like an electrical fire. I would not recommend this cigar to anyone.

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    lol. ROUGH! The Acid line and Drew Estate kinda got me into cigars, so I try not to bash them that much, but once you get further into great cigars, I've found they aren't all that great anymore. To each his own, I suppose.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    dmferree:
    You know I smoked an Acid Kuba Kuba last night. I did not like it at all. The cigar had a chemical flavor to it and the outside wrapper burned a lot faster than the rest of the cigar. In fact the outside wrapper seemed to have melted away. While outside my apartment I was advised by people as they walked by that my cigar smelled like an electrical fire. I would not recommend this cigar to anyone.
    Buddy, I'm right there with ya. I thought the Acid Kuba Kuba was the foulest thing I'd ever lit up (and that includes lighting up bundled leaves wrapped in paper as a kid when I thought it'd be cool to make a "cigarette").. Absolutely foul to me, but as Tat mentioned - to each their own.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I had this cigar early in my days too and did not find it quite as offensive and it burned excellent for me. I had no instance of any chemical taste. It reminded me of a dunkin donuts coffee when you order it "light and sweet" (which will just about give you type 2 diabetes). Granted I didn't like it much, but I didn't hate it either. I think if you like dark rich coffee than D&D is not for you. Same goes for this cigar.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    dmferree:
    Yeah the week I started smoking cigars the Lady at my local B&M recommended it to me. It was like burning potpourri. I find a lot of Drew Estates stuff is like that... chemical tasting, and lacking any natural tobacco. I'd rather not smoke!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The first Kuba I had wasn't bad actually, but then I had one about 8-9 months later and it tasted like it was infused with some Kingsford lighter fluid. It was disgusting.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    cigar dipped in anti-freeze for flavor? you got it!
  • Options
    MarkHMarkH Posts: 120 ✭✭
    I think the whole Acid line is gimmick!
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    Krieg:
    The first Kuba I had wasn't bad actually, but then I had one about 8-9 months later and it tasted like it was infused with some Kingsford lighter fluid. It was disgusting.
    Well you know Kingsford is the best!
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    stephen_hannibal:
    dmferree:
    Yeah the week I started smoking cigars the Lady at my local B&M recommended it to me. It was like burning potpourri. I find a lot of Drew Estates stuff is like that... chemical tasting, and lacking any natural tobacco. I'd rather not smoke!
    I've heard Drew Estates be recommended to younger smokers who are new to the hobby at the B&M. Apparently a lot of people around 18-21 seem to like them a lot.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    lol. ROUGH! The Acid line and Drew Estate kinda got me into cigars, so I try not to bash them that much, but once you get further into great cigars, I've found they aren't all that great anymore. To each his own, I suppose.
    A Kuba Kuba is what got me into cigars as well. Same as you though, once I got into cigars and had some truly good ones, the Kuba Kuba lost all its appeal. I do still enjoy several of Drew Estate's non-Acid lines though; Java, most of the Natural line, Isla Del Sol, Tabak Especial, Liga Privada No. 9, the La Vieja Habana line, and most of the Joya de Nicaragua line are all great cigars IMO.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    alienmisprint:
    TatuajeVI:
    A Kuba Kuba is what got me into cigars as well. Same as you though, once I got into cigars and had some truly good ones, the Kuba Kuba lost all its appeal. I do still enjoy several of Drew Estate's non-Acid lines though; Java, most of the Natural line, Isla Del Sol, Tabak Especial, Liga Privada No. 9, the La Vieja Habana line, and most of the Joya de Nicaragua line are all great cigars IMO.
    Wait what? Joya de Nicaragua are Drew Estates? googling it now....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    alienmisprint:
    TatuajeVI:
    JdN is distributed by DE, not sure how long, but it has been a while.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    stephen_hannibal:
    alienmisprint:
    TatuajeVI:
    JdN is distributed by DE, not sure how long, but it has been a while.
    I believe the newer lines (Fuerte, Black Corojo, and I think there is one more) are more linked into Drew Estate than the previously existing ones, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Could be...I'm not up on the whole partnership. As long as it doesn't affect the cigars, then more power to them.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion the Acid line is one that HAS to be here!

With the smoking bans across the world the cigar industry was feasting in the "Boom" and is now starving not because there are less smokers, but because those smokers are now confined to their home and now don't smoke as much.

Cuba is cutting back acreage for tobacco use and I'm not sure if it's directly related to the downswing in cigars but it's a scary thought

If the cigars drop in usage, then so do the start-up cigars and then we may not have any new blenders or rollers and the whole market will be taken over by two or three big corporations and our selection will go down too.
    (Read: No Tatuaje, no AJ Fernandez!)

So I say ACID cigars, if they get people to start smoking, are a WIN in my book

They don't taste very good though!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    .. I can't believe all you haters. When I started smoking cigars 15 plus years ago I was on a mission to try everything. When I was burned out on the traditional lines, I tried DE and the Acid and Natural lines. I tried everything except that damn Egg.. ( couldn't figure out how to get my lips around it ) and I enjoyed every one of them. I REALLY like Cold Tea and Blondie , They were different and that is what I wanted. I did go back to the Classic labels but would never speak negatively of the Acid line. They are a change of pace for sure, but deserve some praise for the quality of the cigars, and would never turn one down. I stand alone here it seems.
  • Options
    BTJR99BTJR99 Posts: 97
    I think I'm one of the few on here that enjoy Acid Cigars. I have always found them to be very well constructed and I find they burn great. They are not usually my first choice but I would say that I smoke them regularly. (About 1 week)
    I also agree that they need to be here. I have turned a few of my friends into cigar smokers by having them try a Kuba Kuba. Slowly they become interested in trying other cigars, but if not for that first Kuba Kuba I don't know that some of these guys would have ever given cigars a try.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    In my opinion the Acid line is one that HAS to be here!

With the smoking bans across the world the cigar industry was feasting in the "Boom" and is now starving not because there are less smokers, but because those smokers are now confined to their home and now don't smoke as much.

Cuba is cutting back acreage for tobacco use and I'm not sure if it's directly related to the downswing in cigars but it's a scary thought

If the cigars drop in usage, then so do the start-up cigars and then we may not have any new blenders or rollers and the whole market will be taken over by two or three big corporations and our selection will go down too.
    (Read: No Tatuaje, no AJ Fernandez!)

So I say ACID cigars, if they get people to start smoking, are a WIN in my book

They don't taste very good though!
    I can't say anything about the Acid Line aince I've never tried one, but I really enjoyed a few of the Naturals from DE. My very first cigar was the Natural Root paired with a cup of coffee while sitting on a beach in Cape Cod in the early springtime. Maybe the setting boosted the enjoyment factor a little, but if that combo hadn't tasted so go I may not have picked up another cigar. Well I got home from that weekend getaway and immediately ordered a humidor, a Natural sampler, and a few traditional cigars. Now I'll throw in a Natural maybe once every month or two to mix things up... it's a nice change of pace.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Necro-Puro 

nekrō - ˈpo͝orō

Old thread with a very short timeline,............. until now.  

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Bob_Luken said:

Necro-Puro 

nekrō - ˈpo͝orō

Hmmm?  You got something to throw into the cauldron, Mr. Luken? B)  
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Bob_Luken said:

Necro-Puro 

nekrō - ˈpo͝orō

Hmmm?  You got something to throw into the cauldron, Mr. Luken? B)  
    Not really. Just stumbled across it and noticed the old BOTL's posts in this thing.  Thought it was cool. And, somebody recently posted about "worst cigars". I just thought I'd dig this up and leave it by the side of the road for all the rubber-neckers like me. 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Ah, so. Not a bad idea. 

When that recent thread about the absolute worst cigar showed up I pondered it for a while but couldn't recall any stick I've smoked that was bad enough to mention. 

I know I flat will not smoke another Graycliff of any kind - not because they tasted so terrible but because of the dried-out, beetle-infested sticks they sold me at the Graycliff Hotel in Nassau when we visited there. One would think you'd get the cream of the crop at the place where they're made but just the opposite was true. 

Oh, well, you know what they say - "Life's a b I t c h  and then ya die".  B)
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it did tie in nicely with the "worst cigars" thread.  I haven't had the experience of trying an Acid Kuba Kuba, I think I'll keep it that way.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Ah, so. Not a bad idea. 

When that recent thread about the absolute worst cigar showed up I pondered it for a while but couldn't recall any stick I've smoked that was bad enough to mention. 

I know I flat will not smoke another Graycliff of any kind - not because they tasted so terrible but because of the dried-out, beetle-infested sticks they sold me at the Graycliff Hotel in Nassau when we visited there. One would think you'd get the cream of the crop at the place where they're made but just the opposite was true. 

Oh, well, you know what they say - "Life's a b I t c h  and then ya die".  B)
    Marty! Life's a virgin. A b I t c h is too easy.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    AtaubmanAtaubman Posts: 1
    I'm not one for flavored cigars, so ACID falls into that category. I do have to say that I tried a retired line of the ACID called Malta. Honestly it was pretty darn good very light on the infusion. You could taste more of the tobacco with a bit of Sandlerwood.  I picked up about 4 of them at the local market where I sometimes pick up premium Cigars for cheap. So in all it is an enjoyable smoke.  I tried a few others but they were overwhelming in the infused flavor and upset my stomach. Since the Malta is retired, I totally stay away from infused cigars. 
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ataubman said:
    I'm not one for flavored cigars, so ACID falls into that category. I do have to say that I tried a retired line of the ACID called Malta. Honestly it was pretty darn good very light on the infusion. You could taste more of the tobacco with a bit of Sandlerwood.  I picked up about 4 of them at the local market where I sometimes pick up premium Cigars for cheap. So in all it is an enjoyable smoke.  I tried a few others but they were overwhelming in the infused flavor and upset my stomach. Since the Malta is retired, I totally stay away from infused cigars. 
    I wouldn't put acid cigars as premium cigars...if the tobacco was so good why ruin it with "infusion"?
    Money can't buy taste