Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Little Sunshine passed away.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
She was my wife's mother's dog and she was tiny, a pain in the backside and dearly loved. 14 real years old. No pain or discomfort, but we knew it was coming. Even though she was Ms Miller's little dog she would always come to me for a treat and a good morning, sleeping in my bed when her human was away.

We have a rule in this house, if there is no pain or suffering we do not put a dog to sleep. There is only once we had no choice, and that was Sorsha, my wife's very regal, and very protective pure doberman.

Sunshine never showed any signs of discomfort, other then a loss of energy. Never a whine or a whimper, and she would take a piece of beef from me right up to the end.

All dogs go to heaven, if they don't, then when I die I want to go where they go (First said by Will Rogers..)

Comments

• Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always sad to lose a beloved canine friend. Sorry for your loss, bro.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. They become family and it's tough to see them go.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. They are special to us.
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    So Sorry to hear this Brother,
    I was just getting ready to post about loosing our great little guy this morning and asking for prayers for my wife & my son that is on his way home from CA. to see him and wont make it in time to say goodby, he's about 45 min away still and "Chi Chi" just took his last breath in my wife's arms 2 minutes ago, he has been fine up till 2 days ago when he seemed to be acting depressed (he does this alot when my son is away for more then a few days so we didn't think anything of it) woke up this morning and he was laying on the laundry room floor trying to breath, as I was calling the vet to get him in, he passed on
    Please give (or have your wife) give your mother in law a hug for me and my wife and Son. I will say a prayer for you all too as we bury our little guy today
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    JD, I just posted this in Honorkinight's thread and I hope maybe your Mother in Law might find comfort in it also.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

My neighbor gave me a poem similar to this when I lost my child hood dog of 16 years. I found it comforting at the time and I hope you do as well. I have had a couple dogs that I have truly loved and it’s never easy losing one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm sorry for your loss. Pets are so much a part of our lives we don't often realize the impact they had on us. My condolences.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    JD, I just posted this in Honorkinight's thread and I hope maybe your Mother in Law might find comfort in it also.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

My neighbor gave me a poem similar to this when I lost my child hood dog of 16 years. I found it comforting at the time and I hope you do as well. I have had a couple dogs that I have truly loved and it’s never easy losing one.

All the reading and research and I have never seen this. Thank you.....It will be printed out and framed.