Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Rest Well little Buddy, You deserve it

Wanted to Post about our little buddy "Chi Chi" and the wonderful few years we were blessed with him
Story....
In 2009 I went through a bad medical issue, could no longer walk yadda yadda, in 2010 I was going through quite a depression stage taking 50+ different pills a day and just wanted to kill myself really, my wife and I got on the laptop one night and seen this cute little guy up for adoption from an animal rescue family, he was rescued from the Graeagle, California area where he was beaten, starved and left for dead on the mountain behind the owners home, I called the rescue couple and asked about him and told them my story about breaking my back and just needing a buddy to help me through each day. They came to Reno 3 days later with Chi Chi to meet us and let him check us out, we lay on the floor for quite some time together and he warmed up to me after about 20 minutes, they brought him back a few days later and let him stay the weekend with us, he was still very under weight so my wife cooked him chicken b reast and rice each day he was here. by Monday he was happy, playful and wanted to stay, when the rescue couple showed up, they could tell he was happy with us and decided to let us adopt him.
Over the years he has been such a great little buddy, and has helped me so much going through my issues, as of last year 2013 I was done with surgeries and much physical therapy and have been able to walk again, not great, but I'll take it. Over the last 1-2 years my youngest son Mathew has become such Great pal's with Chi Chi its crazy,
the last few days my son has been in CA. working for some family, and Chi Chi was being depressed like he gets every time my son is away for more than a doy or two, but this morning,.. he left us.
My wife and I woke up and found Chi Chi on the laundry room floor having a hard time breathing she picked him up and held him on her lap, I grabbed the phone and called my son, he left CA. right then and there, as I got dressed and called the Vet, to talk to them, they said it didn't sound good but to try to bring him in anyway and they would see what they could do, as I hung up the phone, my wife started crying and told me he took his last breath and died in her arms :(
my Son missed seeing him off by 20 minutes and is so tore up I can hardly stand it.

Other than my wife and 3 boys I don't really have friends as I have always worked away from home in CA. contracting, and came home to Reno here and there to visit the family, holidays, & birthdays, ever since I got injured I really haven't been back there to see anyone I used to know So....
Thank you all for letting me vent this here. I really needed to get this off my heart to others besides my family that is looking to me to be the strong guy around here that they all can come to. Chi Chi I know was a dog, but he was so much apart of my family to me, and he helped me So Damn much when I was going through a very dark emotional time in my life.

I WILL MISS YOU SO MUCH LITTLE BUDDY - Rest well you've earned it boy !!!

Chi Chi with my youngest Matt...
imageimage> >

Comments

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this man. Dogs really do become a member of the family, and are always there when we need them.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this man. Pets become such a big part of the family and it always hurts when they leave us.
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    So sorry for your loss. I had to have the family cat of 14 years put down about 1 year ago. Very similar labored breathing, could not get up, tumor in the stomach area etc etc. It is always tough. Hang in there. All my best to you and the family.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. I know it hurts.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry for your lose. I can truly understand your pain and am glad to hear you both we there for each other in your times of need.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

My neighbor gave me a poem similar to this when I lost my child hood dog of 16 years. I found it comforting at the time and I hope you do as well. This last year our family also lost a dog named Chi Chi. I have had a couple dogs that I have truly loved and it’s never easy losing one.
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Thank you guys for all the kind words today.
    FireRob, though yours brought yet more tears to my eyes this day, I Loved every word of it Sir, Thank You!
    Our little lady "Lu Lu" is being very sad and clingy to the wife and I tonight, not being able to find her buddy all day, and though they both had/have there own beds right next to ours, your Dogs prayer Is compelling me to let her sleep with mom & pop tonight, Think it might just do us all a little good.
    Have had several cigars today out back by Chi Chi's little grave with the wife today reflecting on his loving life & all the good days we had together, he used to always hang out with us while we had our cigars, so it just seemed a fitting farewell to hang out with him all day having them and thinking/talking about him.
    Thanks again everyone !
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    So sorry too hear this! Dogs are awesome companions and I'm sure most of us agree with that they should live longer! It's really nice how great you all were together and that it seems you both got a second chance. Im a firm believer in rescuing dogs and that well it's us that have the problem. But best wishes and I hope you and yours get through this tough loss
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for your loss. Keep in mind, as much as the little guy did for you and your family, you made his last years filled with comfort and love, something he didn't have before you rescued him.

We have two rescue dogs and they are indeed part of the family. Give yourself some time to grieve and then think about rescuing another dog.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    My condolences on your loss. I hope you and your family are comforted in your time of sorrow. Rescue dogs, like my current Stella, earn a special place in our hearts.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” - Roger Caras