Home General Discussion
Options

Starts good but then hits a hard draw mid way

Not sure if it has to do with the cigar it self or what. But I'll start a cigar, give good even draw, a consistent even burn then maybe midway it almost just stops. The cherry is still going and if I try I can maybe getting going again with a few hard draws but then it practically dies out again. These stogies have been in the box for close to 2 weeks 65 - 69 rh. These are Joya de Nicaragua Fuerte Serie B, not every stick draws this way I have had plenty that burn great, just every now and then. Is this something I am doing wrong in my humidor or is this a roll issue from the cigar makers? Anybody else deal with this with other cigars.

Comments

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    roaddevilray:
    Not sure if it has to do with the cigar it self or what. But I'll start a cigar, give good even draw, a consistent even burn then maybe midway it almost just stops. The cherry is still going and if I try I can maybe getting going again with a few hard draws but then it practically dies out again. These stogies have been in the box for close to 2 weeks 65 - 69 rh. These are Joya de Nicaragua Fuerte Serie B, not every stick draws this way I have had plenty that burn great, just every now and then. Is this something I am doing wrong in my humidor or is this a roll issue from the cigar makers? Anybody else deal with this with other cigars.
    Lots of things could do this, I think. Moisture in the cigar expands as the burn reaches an area and causes swelling that tightens the draw and reduces airflow. Tar buildup can form and plug the cigar. There could be another issue with manufacture.

This happened to me yesterday with a Daruma. First 2/3 were awesome, but I had to relight the final third three times to even approach the nub. Draw was really tight at that point, but I could still draw through it, it just wouldn't stay lit.

Some guys use a draw poker to open up a cigar when it's plugged; I don't have one because the whole experience is usually ruined by the time I get to that point. I should probably invest in one to open up these guys. But I really don't know if the ceasing to burn would be fixed by a draw tool in all cases.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    It depends. How fast do you smoke and when this happens, do you feel a hard, crispy bump where it just stopped burning? Sometimes, it can be construction issues, but if it's hard and crispy at the burn site, you're either smoking too fast or it could be tar accumulating and stopping the burn. If that happens, let it go out, cut off past the hard bump, purge and relight.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering if smoking too fast would create more swelling of the tobacco. Sometimes I used to smoke too fast. I don't remember any getting plugged up because of it though. Maybe it's a combination of problems. Maybe a cigar rolled too tight combined with smoking it too fast would cause them to get plugged up?

Quite a while back I attempted to pace myself and slow down. I downloaded an app for my phone that is a repeating countdown timer. It has different sounds like a bird chirp or a little tic sound and I could set it for one minute or so in order to pace myself. The little ding or ping sound (whichever one that I choose) would sound off every minute. It kept me paced so I wasn't taking drags too often. I don't use it much anymore but when I do it's for the opposite reason. When I'm distracted and start forgetting to take a drag and I need to remind myself to keep it lit, I'll start up the old timer so I won't let the fire go out.
  • Options
    This morning when it happened the cigar felt hard and swollen and basically stopped drawing. I gave up on it. I was thinking it was a moister issue just not completely sure. I dont like a smoke unless I have time to enjoy it just so I dont rush through it. Its just something that seems to happen once in a while with no real reason. I do sometimes think that my humidifaction device may drip a drop or two after I have recharged. I try to wait for the beads to be dripless before putting back into the box but Im sure sometimes there is a drop that gets by.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Only had it happen a few times, but I just move on.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I refuse to fight it. If it won't stay lit, draw is too tight even with draw poker , it's tossed to the cigar graveyard. Grab another.
  • Options
    Thats exactly where it went.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Could be several things... Some manufactures ship wet, in which case, the plugging could be a result of them being wet and needing to be dry boxed. Also, I would assume this blend has ligero, and at times young ligero burns like crap and expands, which may cause this. In that instance, you normally see a cone like ash. Smoking fast will most definitely cause plugging as well, specifically on smaller ring gauges. It could be many things, it could also just be a bad box really. I would try dry boxing and smoking slower. Age them a while as well. If the problem counties, email the company and let them know you got a bunk box.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a few that get really tight, I think it's mostly tar build up especially with the torpedo's and belicoso shapes most of the time I simply clip off another 1/8 and it's good to go. There are a lot of things that can cause a bad draw/burn, if it's raining out there are some sticks that Will not burn at all I simply pick something with a little looser roll for that day.