Home Non Cigar Related

New York City raises tobacco age

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
New York City raises tobacco minimum age to 21.

How does a city override the state law on minimum wage?
Regardless of whether you are for this or not, I'm not sure I understand how a city can circumvent the state law.
And would it be that hard for a 20 year old to go outside the city limits to get tobacco?

The other concern I have is that a person can vote, serve their country or be drafted at 18, yet wouldn't be able to buy tobacco in New York City. Just seems odd to me.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    They raised the age to 19 in utah as well. Just stick with an age. A year or 2 is not that much
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Regardless of whether you are for this or not, I'm not sure I understand how a city can circumvent the state law.
    City's change things all the time, small example, fireworks are legal in Texas but not in Fort Worth city limits. On a state VS national law Look at Cali and Colorado and what they have done with Marijuana. Guess since they increased the age and not lowered it, it was easier to get changed...

And would it be that hard for a 20 year old to go outside the city limits to get tobacco?

The other concern I have is that a person can vote, serve their country or be drafted at 18, yet wouldn't be able to buy tobacco in New York City. Just seems odd to me.

same thing with alcohol, I don't think the legal drinking age should be lowered, but I do find something wrong that you can die for you country and not have a beer first
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Won't be long now until they start outright banning it entirely like some cities in Australia. Apparently, they're talking about banning smoking outright even outdoors unless you're in a designated smoking shelter. Government: Proudly taking your rights away and telling you that it's for your own good.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Won't be long now until they start outright banning it entirely like some cities in Australia. Apparently, they're talking about banning smoking outright even outdoors unless you're in a designated smoking shelter. Government: Proudly taking your rights away and telling you that it's for your own good.
    Have we as a society become so brainwashed to let govt walk all over our rights. If we let them, they will. We assume they will do what is right. Thats where the trouble begins.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    We assume they will do what is right. Thats where the trouble begins.
    Plus infinity.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)