Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Natural Remedies?

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I had a follow-up with the doc today to review my recent test results. CT scan and barium test confirm severe Diverticulitis and the doc is recommending I consider surgery. I'd prefer not to go that route unless absolutely necessary, and want to try some lifestyle adjustments, diet changes, and natural remedies first.

Which brings me to my question: Has anyone here had success in reducing intestnal problems with specific foods, supplements, etc? If so, what worked and what didn't? The only unacceptable answer would be "stop smoking cigars."
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    ......and want to try some lifestyle adjustments, diet changes, and natural remedies first.
    No experience with it but accountant in our office building had this not too long ago.
    He changed his diet and I believe he was on some medicine too but is doing better now.

I would imagine drinking lots of water, and a high-fiber diet would be good but I'm no expert.

That's probably a good question to ask your doctor though.....

Good luck, hope you get feeling better soon.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    That's probably a good question to ask your doctor though.....
    To add to this, talk to a couple different doctors about this, preferably with different specialties. Doctors are human like anybody else and tend to be biased toward their specialty/style of medicine. Go to a surgeon complaining of a cough and he will want to do surgery. Go to someone in sports medicine and it will be physical therapy. Family medicine? probably some pills. Holistic? Diet and exercise with some counseling. Pediatrician? Lolipops

Just don't go to a coroner... he will just put you in a freezer.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Hahahah!!! I had a coworker that had diverticulitis and she had a flare up whenever she ate anything small, and hard (dirty i know), like popcorn or gronola. Lettuice seemed to do it too.

Good advice to talk to multiple MD's though.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    +1 to those who recommend getting a second opinion about surgery, which should always be a last resort.

But back to your original question, the alternative may be less about using supplements and more about drinking non-alcoholic liquids and increasing fiber intake through natural means like whole grain breads and fiber-heavy fruits and vegetables. And perhaps reducing your intake of processed and other potentially inflammatory foods that are harder to digest. That sure as hell takes a lot of the fun stuff to eat out of your life, but it's beats surgery anyday.
  • Options
    TexvetTexvet Posts: 39
    I wrestled diverticulitis for over a year. Tried diet changes, exercise and different meds. I did find that drinking Aloe Vera juice gave some relief. In my case, the divertic always came back. after a week of being off antibiotics. It got so bad that the gut simply wouldn't heal, so surgery was the only option. Good luck. p.s. If surgery becomes necessary. Discuss "adhesion barriers" with the surgeon. I ended up with some pretty nasty/painful adhesions (scar tissue) after the surgery.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I solve most of my problems by drinking more. But that's shouldn't be considered medical advice.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably say start with some probiotics to start to build back up your immune system they slowly build up on fiber as suggested. If it's Severe though surgery maybe your only option. Did they mention any Perforation or abscesses that could be seen in either scan? If so that's often the case where it needs to be addressed ASAP. I dated someone for 2 year who had Crohns and something like this isn't anything to mess around with.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an interesting read, although you've probably already seen it:

Click here

It contradicts the folks recommending a high fiber diet but personally I'd choose to believe the Mayo clinic.... no offense to anyone intended.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:

Click here

It contradicts the folks recommending a high fiber diet but personally I'd choose to believe the Mayo clinic.... no offense to anyone intended.
    Which is funny because this one and this one recommend a high fiber diet when you aren't having attacks. ...So, low fiber liquid diets when you have flare ups and high fiber to keep attacks at bay? Also, you should apparently poop often so, according to Jiunn's scientific research, cigars will help. All this with the caveat of I ain't no doctor.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    jlmarta:

Click here

Which is funny because this one and this one recommend a high fiber diet when you aren't having attacks. ...So, low fiber liquid diets when you have flare ups and high fiber to keep attacks at bay? Also, you should apparently poop often so, according to Jiunn's scientific research, cigars will help. All this with the caveat of I ain't no doctor.

Yeah, ya gotta watch those inscrutable Asians with their secret knowledge of all things poop-related. I mean, who'da guessed that cigars are the key??? LOL
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, fellas... and the laughs!

So, basically, the Diverticular disease is bad, but not critical. 50 or more "tics" in the sigmoid causing frequent flare-ups, but no absess, strictures, etc. It doesn't "heal" or get better with time, and eventually will get worse and probably require surgery. Removing the affected part of the colon now would be pre-emptive.

As for diet, my docs say low fiber/residue diet is indicated during flare-ups, and high fiber when all is calm. Research is mixed regarding the correlation of "small hard things" like seeds and nuts with flare-ups, but I can attest that peanuts definitely mess with me.

Someone else had told me about aloe juice, and I picked some up today, so we'll see if it's legit. Drinking more water will also help, and cutting out processed foods. Game plan is to try to manage and keep the flare-ups at a minimum through diet and put off the surgery as long as possible, but avoiding it altogether is probably not realistic.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Thanks for the advice, fellas... and the laughs!

So, basically, the Diverticular disease is bad, but not critical. 50 or more "tics" in the sigmoid causing frequent flare-ups, but no absess, strictures, etc. It doesn't "heal" or get better with time, and eventually will get worse and probably require surgery. Removing the affected part of the colon now would be pre-emptive.

As for diet, my docs say low fiber/residue diet is indicated during flare-ups, and high fiber when all is calm. Research is mixed regarding the correlation of "small hard things" like seeds and nuts with flare-ups, but I can attest that peanuts definitely mess with me.

Someone else had told me about aloe juice, and I picked some up today, so we'll see if it's legit. Drinking more water will also help, and cutting out processed foods. Game plan is to try to manage and keep the flare-ups at a minimum through diet and put off the surgery as long as possible, but avoiding it altogether is probably not realistic.
    Good luck. My mom has to avoid strawberries and tomatoes, two of her favorites from their garden, because the tiny little seeds cause her diverticulitis to flare.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.