Home Cigar 101

Used humi question

sp33d3ysp33d3y Posts: 17
So, I got a sort of bomb today at the shop. A buddy of mine had a 40ct (we believe) Humi sitting in the shops walk in humidor just holding some of his sticks and what not. I told him about the forum and how I was excited to get involved in passes and PIF's and what have you, but how I didn't have any storage or the money for storage right now. He informed me I could have this one cause he wasn't using it. All I had to do was fund a golf outing or give him some sticks in exchange (to be determined and settled at a later date). It has been in the shops humi for about 6 months and propped open. I know they keep the walk-in tightly controlled (I know the shop manager and he takes PRIDE in how he maintains it)

My question is this--should I leave it open for a few hours (days?) and start the seasoning process over? Is it pretty much seasoned? Is there anything I need to do besides load it up with a humidification system and cigars? This is my first ever humidor and I want to get it right from the start. I don't want to get sticks in it and have to fight it too much cause I didn't set it up right.

Thanks for any/all help.

Have I mentioned how much I love the brotherhood and camaraderie that comes with this hobby. What a BOTL will do to help another BOTL (or newb in my case) out will NEVER cease to amaze me. I can't wait to return the favor and "bless" others how I have been.

Here's a pic of the "new to me" treasure chest.

photo humi_zps695685ba.jpeg

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums. If it was in his walk-in, it may have already been season. However, if you want to be completely certain, I'd still do the dollar bill test and re-season as, as you said, he wasn't really using it. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'd definitely get a digital hygrometer to start though and calibrate it by sticking it in a sealed ziplock with a boveda pack first. After that, if you choose to re-season, do the dollar bill test to see if it's a good seal. After that, leave it open for about 3 days. Then start seasoning by leaving a bowl of distilled water in for 7 days (at least this is how I do it). If you notice that the rh is stable and the water stopped evaporating after 7 days, it's ready. After that, put in humidifier after leaving it open for another 30 min (as the rh will be roughly 75 to 80 when it's seasoned). After all that's done, load it with sticks.
  • sp33d3ysp33d3y Posts: 17
    Just tried the dollar bill test and it slid out pretty easy. I had to hold the humidor to keep the box from moving. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for with the test. I did put a flashlight in it (well--iphone with the flash on) and turned the lights off, saw no light coming thru it. It "sorta" whooshes when I let the lid fall. He said it holds pretty well. I have the analog hygro sitting in a ziplock with a 69% boveda pack waiting to see how much it needs to be adjusted, if at all. We'll see how it goes in a few hours. Here's hoping for a good/decent seal.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    The dollar bill should slide out, but with at least a little resistance. It's more a guideline than a test. The real test is during seasoning. If you notice that the rh is for example, 40 rh before seasoning and 2 or 3 days later, it's still 40, the seal isn't good. It should rise steadily up until the mid to high 70s.

I would still recommend ditching the analog hygrometer though, as it tends to be unreliable. At first, it will be close to the mark, then 2 months later, it might be as much as 20 too high or too low (my analogs that are built in to two of my humis say rh is like 48 to 51, when all my humis are 65 to 68 rh). Digital is much more reliable.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Sitting in a walk in 6 months? Probably perfect... Buy a digital hygro and some beads or boveda and you are set bro
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Sitting in a walk in 6 months? Probably perfect... Buy a digital hygro and some beads or boveda and you are set bro
    Thats my guess to.
    I adjusted the analogue hygro this morning (it sat all night with a boveda pack in a tupperware container) and dropped it in the humi with the boveda pack. Came home from work and it's holding 69%!!! Now it's time to fill 'er up!!! Just gotta find some spare cash, lol.
  • Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    Well Cigar.com has daily deals on cigars that are hard to beat. I have yet to find a cigar that i can't find on this site. you don't need to fill it up right away take your time buy a couple sample packs so you know what you like.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Hey Beaker your about to have a PM
    just broke down and grabbed a digital hygro, I'm pretty sure I over paid and got ripped off, we'll see in about 8 hours tho. I called a local B&M yesterday (not my usual place, they're out) said they had one for $24. I went in today, it was $30 and change, and its not adjustable. I got it in a tupperware container now testing it, we'll see what happens later tonight/tomorrow. I'll keep y'all posted.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you're gunna have to pry off the Th*****n logo first. see if Cigar.com will send you a name plate for that.
    or make your own.

... i hate that place.
    ehh, it was free. not my first choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm super stoked I have a humidor now. I can at least keep some cigars at home instead of driving 20 mins to my favorite shop/lounge. I prefer humi's that don't have any plates on them, more decorative types. The classier the better, however, when a friend offers to give you one for a round of golf or some cigars (at a later date) I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to say. I have yet to delve into the world of ordering off of any website, most of my purchases have been in a b&m and smoked on site, or at events, but never more than I can smoke that day. Once I get some money in, I'm gonna start ordering off of the internet. And don't worry, I WILL make some purchases from cigar.com. I can't join a forum like this and not purchase from the company.