Home Non Cigar Related

Google Location History... creepy

No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
Not sure why I haven't picked up on this yet, but read this article if you don't know about your google location history: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-stop-google-maps-from-remembering-everywhere-you-87005789389.html

Basically, google tracks your approximate location whenever you're signed in (phone or computer I believe) and allows you to check it all out going back months. Mine went to Dec 21 2013 but the article talks about someone with data back 14 months.

I'll admit, it is kind of interesting to look at, but still I deleted it all and disabled it.

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    that's a beautiful sight:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Is that just because you haven't moved in a month? lol
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No history either. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact I have no cell phone.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No location history despite the fact I use that map chit all the time.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    No history either. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact I have no cell phone.
    Is West Gnawed Pencil even on the map? That might explain it...
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    No_one21:
    Not sure why I haven't picked up on this yet, but read this article if you don't know about your google location history: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-stop-google-maps-from-remembering-everywhere-you-87005789389.html

Basically, google tracks your approximate location whenever you're signed in (phone or computer I believe) and allows you to check it all out going back months. Mine went to Dec 21 2013 but the article talks about someone with data back 14 months.

I'll admit, it is kind of interesting to look at, but still I deleted it all and disabled it.
    I have data going back a few years, I actually use this extensively and love it.

When I was a private consultant it would really help me out in a few area's, if I got lazy and forgot to record my times I could have exact times on not only the site but also travel times, and it helped me to see where I was wasting a lot of commute time.

Also had the added benefit of being able to prove I was at a site on certain days and times if any billing questions came up. Or if I ever needed to remember what day I went somewhere or the last time I went to a certain site I could easily find it.

Privacy in America has long been dead, I do a lot in infosec and it's amazing the way people/governments/corporations can and do track you and the accuracy and resolution they have while doing so. With privacy being dead, I'm going to use the benefits of google knowing all to my advantage.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    chrislolds:
    No_one21:

I have data going back a few years, I actually use this extensively and love it.

When I was a private consultant it would really help me out in a few area's, if I got lazy and forgot to record my times I could have exact times on not only the site but also travel times, and it helped me to see where I was wasting a lot of commute time.

Also had the added benefit of being able to prove I was at a site on certain days and times if any billing questions came up. Or if I ever needed to remember what day I went somewhere or the last time I went to a certain site I could easily find it.

Privacy in America has long been dead, I do a lot in infosec and it's amazing the way people/governments/corporations can and do track you and the accuracy and resolution they have while doing so. With privacy being dead, I'm going to use the benefits of google knowing all to my advantage.
    Yea I don't think it did much of anything to delete other than give me a moments peace of mind. Like I said, I find it very interesting and likely helpful. I just wish it felt more secure than just being my google account. Not sure how I'd change it but for now I'll keep it off.

If I find a real use for it I'm sure I'll turn it back on. This is just the kind of thing I feel like most people like to know about.
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    No_one21:
    chrislolds:
    No_one21:

Yea I don't think it did much of anything to delete other than give me a moments peace of mind. Like I said, I find it very interesting and likely helpful. I just wish it felt more secure than just being my google account. Not sure how I'd change it but for now I'll keep it off.

If I find a real use for it I'm sure I'll turn it back on. This is just the kind of thing I feel like most people like to know about.
    Thankfully Google is pretty transparent with what they do with the data (NSA rumors aside) and the only people they will give your data to is the Feds or law enforcement under strict warrant requirements (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeKKHxcJfh0)

It's amazing all the different ways people are tracked, from things as simple as webcams with software to log every license plate to tracking people based off of RFID(in things like credit cards, keys, ID's and even car tires and clothing) or even tracking off the radio in your cell phone. And then a lot of us voluntarily give this information away every day through tweets, facebook check-ins and status updates, social media has made us all want to give away our privacy in a really creative way.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    No history, at all.