Home Non Cigar Related

how to remove carbon

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone here have experience removing carbon deposits from an engine? I've a 2007 KLR650, a carbureted thumper, with 45,000 on the clock. A meager eight and a half to one compression low tech engine. Carbon has built up to where I can make the valves go CLACK if I goose her under load. Here's a view down the plug hole:

Of course, there are always the Seafoam enthusiasts... but they would tell you how Seafoam can do everything from boosting mileage to winterizing to curing leprosy to bringing peace to the Middle East. Then there are the old timers who spray water in the running engine. Then there are the meticulous who claim nothing else will work but a complete tear down.

Ideally, I'd like something to pour in the tank and let it do its work over many miles. I would settle for something I could spray in the plug hole and let it soak overnight.

Whatcha got?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Just add a nice mist of water to the engine while it is running. keep this up long enough and the chambers will be beautifully steam cleaned. May take some time on an engine that is already pretty dirty. but guarntee it will work. My water/meth injection system proves it time and time again.

I dont know how ballsy you are about spraying stuff down the hole and hoping it cleans it up... but I got some stuff that eats carbon and your hands pretty darn well.

I would strongly suggest not just spraying it into the hole and would advise a tear down simply because this stuff does attack aluminum (slight tarnish) and will completly dry your bore out.

ZEP Industrial/Commercial Degreaser from Lowes or Home Depot. use straight, no dilution and wear gloves/safety goggles. it will remove the carbon fairly quickly with the aid of a toothbrush. Just becareful with the full strength stuff. I got some splashed on my face and it literally burned holes into me. I looked like a leper. I hope that helps out!

Aj
  • chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    webmost:
    Anyone here have experience removing carbon deposits from an engine? I've a 2007 KLR650, a carbureted thumper, with 45,000 on the clock. A meager eight and a half to one compression low tech engine. Carbon has built up to where I can make the valves go CLACK if I goose her under load. Here's a view down the plug hole:

Of course, there are always the Seafoam enthusiasts... but they would tell you how Seafoam can do everything from boosting mileage to winterizing to curing leprosy to bringing peace to the Middle East. Then there are the old timers who spray water in the running engine. Then there are the meticulous who claim nothing else will work but a complete tear down.

Ideally, I'd like something to pour in the tank and let it do its work over many miles. I would settle for something I could spray in the plug hole and let it soak overnight.

Whatcha got?

Windex... fixes everything.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Just add a nice mist of water to the engine while it is running. keep this up long enough and the chambers will be beautifully steam cleaned. May take some time on an engine that is already pretty dirty. but guarntee it will work. My water/meth injection system proves it time and time again.

I dont know how ballsy you are about spraying stuff down the hole and hoping it cleans it up... but I got some stuff that eats carbon and your hands pretty darn well.

I would strongly suggest not just spraying it into the hole and would advise a tear down simply because this stuff does attack aluminum (slight tarnish) and will completly dry your bore out.

ZEP Industrial/Commercial Degreaser from Lowes or Home Depot. use straight, no dilution and wear gloves/safety goggles. it will remove the carbon fairly quickly with the aid of a toothbrush. Just becareful with the full strength stuff. I got some splashed on my face and it literally burned holes into me. I looked like a leper. I hope that helps out!

Aj
    I could yank the air cleaner and spray water there. That would rip right thru the carb annd into the intake. Or should I devise a way to introduce the water after the carb? Anything get wrecked by spritzing water thru the carb?

Prolly smoke so bad I'd have to do this late at night, or take it to the woods.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

just spritz right threw the carb, a spray bottle or old elmers glue bottle works really well. shouldnt smoke all that much to be honest. a fair amount but not like mosquito control.

just bring up to a fast idle and start spritzing.

Aj
    I'll report back after the weekend.

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    +1 for water, have a CR500 I've done this to a few time, keeping a good bit of throttle in it helps during the cleaning process
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    That piston looks pretty caked, I'd be worried bout the rings. does it smoke much?
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B-12 Chem-Tool. If they still make it, but soaking may be required. It can be added to the gas, worth atry.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Best cleaner I've come across is ATF but you'd need to scrub and wipe
    Money can't buy taste
    The Kid:
    That piston looks pretty caked, I'd be worried bout the rings. does it smoke much?
    Does not smoke in the least. Starts at first stab. Gets a consistent 57 mpg; which is not bad at all for a carby engine. Not a whole world of power; but what else would you expect of a KLR with 8.5:1 compression. Can easily do 85 on the freeway all day long.

No, it's not about performance. It's just I don't like to hear the valves clack under load.

webmost:
    The Kid:
    Does not smoke in the least. Starts at first stab. Gets a consistent 57 mpg; which is not bad at all for a carby engine. Not a whole world of power; but what else would you expect of a KLR with 8.5:1 compression. Can easily do 85 on the freeway all day long.

No, it's not about performance. It's just I don't like to hear the valves clack under load.
    Gotcha, K good luck, and don't you mean ,,
    clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackcl
    ackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackcla
    ckclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclac
    kclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack
    clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackcl
    ackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackcla
    ckclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclac
    kclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack
    ckclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackityclack
    The Kid:
    webmost:
    The Kid:

clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack
    No, I ease back the throttle after the first dozen clacks. No desire to knock the head off that valve.

Amos Umwhat:
    B-12 Chem-Tool. .
    They do! Great carb cleaner!!!
    webmost:
    The Kid:
    webmost:
    The Kid:

clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack
    No, I ease back the throttle after the first dozen clacks. No desire to knock the head off that valve.
    LOL,, I was going to put some pauses in there for changing gears,,;o)
    So, I got to thinking about all those carbon chips cutting loose and whicketty whacking round inside the jug until they could find an exhaust; then I got to thinking what that steam might cut loose from my exhaust; then I chickened out and figured I'd try the seafoam first. Parts counter guy swears by it. Two ounces per gallon, he says. Got a seven and a half gallon tank on that bike. So I bought a 16 ounce bottle and dumped it all in there. Being as she gets north of 55 mpg, it may be a week or two before we know. I get ambitious I may take an "after" pic down the plug hole.

aww dont be scurred.... waters works... you can even mix a bit of seafoam with the water and spray down the carb while in high idle!

Aj
    After only forty miles, the clack is gone. Course, that might just be seafoam raising my octane. I dunno. Allz I know is, I just ran WFO up the office park road en route to the post office and could not make it clack. This tank has another 300 miles in it, so I'll burn thru all that; then put in fresh without seafoam, and then we will know for sure. If it works, I'll make a before and after picture. If not, then Seafoam does not cure malaria after all, so I try the water diet.