Home Non Cigar Related

Took my kid to college...

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dropped my oldest of at University of Missouri today. Graduated High School last week and already in college. I won't lie whether it is kindergarten or college it is still hard. He got accepted to the Summer Transition Program and Scholarship. He has a free ride for the summer. Takes care of Sociology, Biology, and possibly 2 math classes if he does well. Tuition, dorm, and food all paid for by the University. If he completes the program he gets a $10k Scholarship. Missing him already. M I Z ...

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Awesome bro!
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Snake!
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Z O U

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for the new guy ^
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    My son is a new senior and is looking at Mizzou.......i might be in your shoes next year.
    My best advice. Make him take the ACT several times this year. They take the best score and freshmen get automatic scholarships if they do well. My son is smart and had a 3.5 GPA this year but he still finished 98 out of 230 because the school is in the top 3% in the country for advanced placement and college prep. He wasn't motivated and took the ACT once and did ok but not good enough for an auto scholarship. And his GPA is great but with so many smart kids, including 119 A+ students, he still didn't qualify for much. Apparently we are rich and don't know it because financial aid offered us very little. Even with 4 more kids at home they claim we should be responsible for $17k and that is funny to me.

Start applying for all scholarships as soon as school starts. Anything and everything. It all adds up. He will apply for FASFA next Spring. Those little scholarships add up. My son put this off and didn't apply for any Veteran related scholarships because he thought I wasn't a Vet because I don't currently serve.

Apply early because you get to pick housing first when ROAR starts. My son waited until the last minute and had to pick the last day and all of the cheap housing was long gone. When money is tight housing could save you several thousand a year picking cheaper housing. All based on when you register so he wants to register this Fall so he gets first pick. Fees are refundable until May.

If you plan on a visit let me know. We could try to meet up and my son could help show him around and exchange numbers with him. This summer thing will put him ahead of his friends who don't start until August. Let me just say it is overwhelming for the student and the parents. MU has amazing resources and are very helpful. I would be glad to give you my number if you want to talk about anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congratulations, I remember doing this last year but at Chico. We didn't qualify for anything; seriously nothing. It's sad but exciting at the same time, at least for me.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Jake! Mizzou is a very nice institution. Have a friend that did Broadcast Journalism there. Taught me all of my anti-Texas stuff (they play lots of TX schools), lol.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Dropped my oldest of at University of Missouri today. Graduated High School last week and already in college. I won't lie whether it is kindergarten or college it is still hard. He got accepted to the Summer Transition Program and Scholarship. He has a free ride for the summer.

That is great, congrats. Right into college, don't think it will be a free ride though hehe, homework and adjustment to that life. Sounds like he can handle it though, congrats to you too for raising him.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    And his GPA is great but with so many smart kids, including 119 A+ students, he still didn't qualify for much. Apparently we are rich and don't know it because financial aid offered us very little. Even with 4 more kids at home they claim we should be responsible for $17k and that is funny to me.
    anything.
    LOL get used to that. You'll hear a bunch of first time things. They'll teach you a lot about yourself too. I'm a college student that has to pay everything out of pocket. I stopped getting scholarships and pell grants when I stopped going to school to help my dad because he had cancer. Now, i don't get anything. The 3 reasons the school has given me is 1. obama and 2. I make too much money and 3. I have a family contribution, which is bc because I don't
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    My best advice. Make him take the ACT several times this year. They take the best score and freshmen get automatic scholarships if they do well. My son is smart and had a 3.5 GPA this year but he still finished 98 out of 230 because the school is in the top 3% in the country for advanced placement and college prep. He wasn't motivated and took the ACT once and did ok but not good enough for an auto scholarship. And his GPA is great but with so many smart kids, including 119 A+ students, he still didn't qualify for much. Apparently we are rich and don't know it because financial aid offered us very little. Even with 4 more kids at home they claim we should be responsible for $17k and that is funny to me.

Start applying for all scholarships as soon as school starts. Anything and everything. It all adds up. He will apply for FASFA next Spring. Those little scholarships add up. My son put this off and didn't apply for any Veteran related scholarships because he thought I wasn't a Vet because I don't currently serve.

Apply early because you get to pick housing first when ROAR starts. My son waited until the last minute and had to pick the last day and all of the cheap housing was long gone. When money is tight housing could save you several thousand a year picking cheaper housing. All based on when you register so he wants to register this Fall so he gets first pick. Fees are refundable until May.

If you plan on a visit let me know. We could try to meet up and my son could help show him around and exchange numbers with him. This summer thing will put him ahead of his friends who don't start until August. Let me just say it is overwhelming for the student and the parents. MU has amazing resources and are very helpful. I would be glad to give you my number if you want to talk about anything.
    yeah, none of that is going to apply to me. i have a coaster for a son, could get straight As, but is ok with a 3.0. No scholarships for him, we might get a couple of thing because my wife has MS, but that's about it. The rest will go on loans and out of our pocket.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, a light up toy would have been a bit young....

Glad he is getting so much help at the moment. Has to be a huge relief.

I wish him the best.
    jd50ae:

I wish him the best.
    Haha yeah he might have been offended.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    jd50ae:

I wish him the best.
    Haha yeah he might have been offended.

From the courses you mentioned may I assume no liberal arts stuff? Seems like he has a goal in mind and he is getting a leg up on it.