Home Non Cigar Related
Options

GOP lawmakers: Prisoner exchange violated law

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Not to be racist or anything, but what about the issue at hand here? Should the President be constrained by the law? Or should we be ruled by pen and phone, in contempt of representative democracy? .

Rule of law or cult of personality? Pick one.

oh stop!!! interesting tidbit, the term "rule of thumb" used to describe the limiting size of a stick that a man could beat his wife with. the stick could be no thicker than that mans thumb. ohhh the good ol days,,damn ERA!
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    raisindot:
    [Erased]
    dude,, why??? that was well put and cut to heart of the matter!

*Sigh*. Because I need to start resisting commenting on some of these things. It drives up my blood pressure. :)

All I can say is that I'd like to see anyone who believes that this U.S. should have let this or any other soldier remain a prisoner of war because of totally unproven rumors of desertion to say that in front of a group of active or retired soldiers and just see how many of these brave men would agree with this.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Not to be racist or anything, but what about the issue at hand here? Should the President be constrained by the law? Or should we be ruled by pen and phone, in contempt of representative democracy? .

Rule of law or cult of personality? Pick one.

If it was just rule of law I think Obama would have been impeached long ago. It may be a combination of both with personality being the trump card he keeps playing, and the press just laps it up. How much did Obama really have to do with this anyway, besides the rose garden photo op? Probably not much
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Republican lawmakers angered by a White House deal to swap five Taliban prisoners for a captured U.S. soldier in Afghanistan on Monday demanded hearings over why the Obama administration reached the agreement without consulting Congress. Adding to criticism of the decision to negotiate the release of Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl were accusations by some soldiers who served with him that they consider Bergdahl a deserter who cost the lives of several comrades."We need a thorough review of this decision," said Senator Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican. "With President Obama's announcement of a total withdrawal (of U.S. forces) from Afghanistan by 2016 ... and now releasing five Taliban leaders, it's safe to say last week was a great week for the Taliban." Texas Representative Mac Thornberry, vice chairman of the House of Representatives Armed Services Committee, said: "The president violated a provision of law in not giving Congress advanced notice. And while you can always argue that, 'well, this was an emergency, he needed to act quickly,' this pattern of violating the law is also a danger to national security."
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well well well......billiary is justifying the "trade", so she was neck deep in it. That should be enough to sink any hopes she had.
  • Options
    Fox News Q: Just a quick follow up on Matt's question. You mentioned because Sergeant Bergdahl is a member of the military you went after him. If you have a Marine reservist in Mexico, why can't you do a similar swap for him? MS. PSAKI: I understand the desire to make comparisons, but we wouldn't compare them. This is -- it was a Marine [sic] who was taken while in combat, and you're talking about a situation of an individual who the Mexican authorities are accusing of violating the law. Fox News Q: But I'm sure we have five cartel members or somebody in jail we could swap in exchange for this Marine. Would that be a good -- MS. PSAKI: Thank you for your advice, Lucas (sp), but every situation is different. Do you have another question?
  • Options
    Jim Hoft, The Gateway Pundit The five Guantanamo detainees released by the Obama administration in exchange for America’s last prisoner of war arrived in Qatar today. As Brian Ross reported on ABC: “The terror group is calling their release a major victory. New video posted this morning on an Afghan news website shows the five former detainees arriving in Qatar with no sign they are under any sort of custody or guard.… They received a hero’s welcome.”
  • Options
    The last time National Security Adviser Susan Rice made a memorable appearance on the Sunday morning news shows it was on five different networks in 2012 to spread the ridiculous and untrue fable that a YouTube video had been the cause of four deaths in Benghazi, as opposed to terrorists the Obama administration and Hillary Clinton should have been prepared for. This Sunday, Rice might have been caught in a brand new fib. Rice appeared on ABC's This Week to defend Obama's release of The Taliban Dream Team from Guantanamo Bay in exchange for Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, who had been a Taliban prisoner in Pakistan for five years. Other than setting the terrible precedent of negotiating with terrorists, the exchange has become controversial over claims that Bergdahl was a deserter who simply walked away from his post. Rice, however, said on ABC that Bergdahl had been "taken in battle."
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    These ex-detainees pose no threats whatsoever. They've been locked up for years. The war has passed them by. Other, younger, hungrier terrorists have taken their place. They're so out of date with what's going in with the Taliban, let alone the stigma they'll always carry for being captured rather than committing suicide, that I'll bet most of them hope they'll never have to go back to the stone age cesspool they came from. The only "secrets" they'll be able to reveal is what Cuba looks like outside the fence and what waterboarding feels like.
  • Options
    raisindot:
    These ex-detainees pose no threats whatsoever. They've been locked up for years. The war has passed them by. Other, younger, hungrier terrorists have taken their place. They're so out of date with what's going in with the Taliban, let alone the stigma they'll always carry for being captured rather than committing suicide, that I'll bet most of them hope they'll never have to go back to the stone age cesspool they came from. The only "secrets" they'll be able to reveal is what Cuba looks like outside the fence and what waterboarding feels like.

deleted....it wouldn't do any good.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    raisindot:

deleted....it wouldn't do any good.

I agree with you, JD. It's amazing to me how the younger generation(s) and even some of the older ones can come to believe the things they believe. It's almost like a new version of revisionist history. The facts can be there for all to see and yet they'll come up with a totally new twist.
    Amazing.....
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'm withholding judgement on this POW situation until more is clear, but did anyone else notice that after this announcement, the VA scandal and all the outrage just up and poofed from the news?
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    I'm withholding judgement on this POW situation until more is clear, but did anyone else notice that after this announcement, the VA scandal and all the outrage just up and poofed from the news?

The obozo way, try to cover up a scandal with something else, that turns into another scandal.

I just can't believe there isn't enough to impeach this narcissistic fraud and put billary in prison.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    wwhwang:

The obozo way, try to cover up a scandal with something else, that turns into another scandal.

I just can't believe there isn't enough to impeach this narcissistic fraud and put billary in prison.

And a big AMEN to that.....
  • Options
    In case everyone missed it the "captives" father, when at the Rose Garden, next to his buddy obozo, spoke in Arabic, his flowing beard and all. Now don't anyone tell me the whole family ain't just a bit anti-American.

I would love to be wrong.....but I'm thinking I'm right. If I am wrong I will send a 5er to everyone on here by way of apologies. But, you have to post I am wrong to get the 5er.
  • Options
    Obama has previously expressed concern about the congressional notification requirement, which was passed as part of the 2014 defense bill. In a statement that accompanied his signing of that legislation, Obama said the executive branch must have flexibility "to act swiftly in conducting negotiations with foreign countries regarding the circumstances of detainee transfers."Wait...so he signed it, then went against it? And what about that marine in Mexico...who are we trading for him? What about James Joseph Dresnok?
  • Options
    Good point, Rain. Mark my words, this O'Bummer is a wanna-be dictator. I'll be interested to see what transpires come election time.....
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Why don't we trade 5 Mexican "prisoners" for the Marine sitting in a Tijuana jail? ICE/INS whatever they call themselves these days should be able to find 5 pretty quick.
  • Options
    Sasquatch:
    Why don't we trade 5 Mexican "prisoners" for the Marine sitting in a Tijuana jail? ICE/INS whatever they call themselves these days should be able to find 5 pretty quick.

Hell, lets give them a couple 100K illegals. Oopa, can't do that...voting block.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad he is out of that hell hole, must have been horrible to be held as a captive. I'm also saddened that men lost their lives to look for him. I bet that is eating him up inside. I love the hate in this thread about Obama. I guess no one can be as honorable as bush, I mean he never did anything illegal. Only thing I'm worried about is next time. We set a precedent that we do negotiate, and I wonder what that will cost us. Sad thing is we put this on ourselves. Gitmo has made this GWOT worse as did the wars. It'll be interesting to see how this enfolds.
  • Options
    Nowhere else in America does the defense "It was against the law, but I really needed to" work. I'm just as bad, though...I'm not out protesting, I'm complaining behind my keyboard. Hope my kids don't pay for to precedents we are setting.Also...what did he think was going to happen when he walked off the base? The Taliban would pick him up and they would enjoy tea? Darwin's rolling over.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    POW? What the...? Those peace loving Afghani Muslims would never hold anyone prisoner. Heck in this case there was no need to. His own unit said he left voluntarily and was AWOL. A court martial to determine the circumstances is in order. Besides there is no need to worry about the 5 released terror chiefs, they promised to stay in Qatar so no problem. Now back to Benghazi, VA, and all the other scandals and corruption this bunch of crooks is in to right now.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm raising awareness:

1) A weasely **** and his wicked veep establish a place safe from judicial review where they can torture terrorist prisoners These are the nitwits who began the debacle.

2) A clever aspirant promises to shut the place down

3) First thing after election, that new incumbent issues an executive order to shut it down

4) ... then immediately "discovers" what everyone else surmised -- no place to put those prisoners

5) Congress, both houses in the stranglehold of that clever fellow's party, passes a law forbidding sending those prisoners anywhere else

6) ... providing the incumbent a convenient excuse for breaking that promise ... He can't --- it would be illegal -- don't blame Him.

7) Five years later that schidthole is still open

8) Five years later, the war which the clever aspirant also promised to end still continues

9) Last summer, the incumbent hands five terrorists to the enemy as an earnest to encourage them to negotiate the release of a captured deserter

10) Last week, he hands the enemy five more; this time bigwig terrorists of the enemy's choosing, for the deserter's release

The incumbent says He had to break the law.

Next week, the next scandal will divert our attention from this one.

I know there's a Nobel Peace Prize in there, somewhere.

I love my country. It's Government which scares me.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm glad he is out of that hell hole, must have been horrible to be held as a captive. I'm also saddened that men lost their lives to look for him. I bet that is eating him up inside. I love the hate in this thread about Obama. I guess no one can be as honorable as bush, I mean he never did anything illegal. Only thing I'm worried about is next time. We set a precedent that we do negotiate, and I wonder what that will cost us. Sad thing is we put this on ourselves. Gitmo has made this GWOT worse as did the wars. It'll be interesting to see how this enfolds.

It is 2014, Bush ain't in office.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Smoke & mirrors? The media can be a useful tool. Truth be told, I always question the official reasons for sending our service men and women into harm's way. I always hope my fellow Americans make it home safely and I'm glad this soldier made it back home, regardless of his opinions. I've never served and cannot imagine the pressures and intensity of combat. Nor can I imagine the comradery that exists between soldiers fighting side-by-side. If the media reports can be believed, I can't help but think there may have been better (maybe not easier) alternatives to the choices he made.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I may get flamed for this but eh,

I'm from the camp that we should bring all of our guys home, captured, MIA, deserter or otherwise. IF he is a deserter(because i know only hear-say and no facts) then let him stand a fair trail in his day in court. 5 years living with the taliban...if he was captured, god bless him,...if he was a deserter maybe he got more than he bargained for. But in the end what seperates America from the rest of the world is the willingness to seek out and bring these guys back, in the wrong or not. I full realize there are boys out there from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and probably more untiod american souls lost in afghanistan, black operations and yes the Marine left in Mexico. I cant speak for our administration but the America i believe in brings our sons and daughters back. This is coming from a guy who hates with loathsome vengeance our current administration but if WE at the lowest level(think the promise keepers) dont believe this, that too easily is the American ideal lost.

Signed
    Vinny Pfleger, Active Duty Navy
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I may get flamed for this but eh,

I'm from the camp that we should bring all of our guys home, captured, MIA, deserter or otherwise. IF he is a deserter(because i know only hear-say and no facts) then let him stand a fair trail in his day in court. 5 years living with the taliban...if he was captured, god bless him,...if he was a deserter maybe he got more than he bargained for. But in the end what seperates America from the rest of the world is the willingness to seek out and bring these guys back, in the wrong or not. I full realize there are boys out there from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and probably more untiod american souls lost in afghanistan, black operations and yes the Marine left in Mexico. I cant speak for our administration but the America i believe in brings our sons and daughters back. This is coming from a guy who hates with loathsome vengeance our current administration but if WE at the lowest level(think the promise keepers) dont believe this, that too easily is the American ideal lost.

Signed
    Vinny Pfleger, Active Duty Navy
    +1, just right.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Dear Vinny,You have a big head.Love,Randy Ewing, Active Duty ArmyI'd like to clarify. I'm not upset that they brought him home, I'm upset that the law was broken in order to do it. Well, I AM upset that the news started out calling him a hero. What started all this (for me) was the news was talking about a hero coming home. I was in Iraq when he was captured/walked off, but when I was in Afghanistan "going Bowe Berghdal" was a joke. The fact that many in his own unit speak ill of him tells us volumes. IMHO, it's not surprise that Mr Hagel was met with silence when he informed soldiers on Bagram about Bowe's return.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    One of my friends that I went to AIT with was assigned to Bowe's unit. He's saying that the Taliban refer to Bowe as the "white Talib" and that he found this out when he was sent to look for him.