Home Non Cigar Related
Options

sunglasses

smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I seem to have the worse luck with sunglasses the past few years...now granted I have never bought any expensive glasses. I have spent between 5-25 bucks. They always seem to break..so either I am buying cheap stuff...lol or glasses that may be too small for my face..hence they tend to break right in the middle.....

So over the past few days I have been checking out some ish online and when shopping with the family yesterday stopped by a few places..Oakley store included..found a pair of Oakelys that I fell in love with...however, with the price tag I didn't bite. My question is..does anyone own a pair of Oakleys and what you opinions are on them......GO!!

thanks in advance fellas.

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had a few in the past. I like em. I only have one pair now. I forgot the name/style. I only wear them when I go fishing. (They're polarized)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:
    Well I seem to have the worse luck with sunglasses the past few years...now granted I have never bought any expensive glasses. I have spent between 5-25 bucks. They always seem to break..so either I am buying cheap stuff...lol or glasses that may be too small for my face..hence they tend to break right in the middle.....

So over the past few days I have been checking out some ish online and when shopping with the family yesterday stopped by a few places..Oakley store included..found a pair of Oakelys that I fell in love with...however, with the price tag I didn't bite. My question is..does anyone own a pair of Oakleys and what you opinions are on them......GO!!

thanks in advance fellas.
    according to my co-worker romy, he siad "they good" thats all he said, but this is a guy who has like 500 pairs of oakley
  • Options
    jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    I bought so many crappy $5-20 glasses for all the same reasons, afraid of breaking them etc. I finally had enough, splurged on a good set and so happy I did. I went into an Oakley outlet store and tried a pair on to see what fit best. The salesman kept bending them and trying to break them and told me they wouldn't, but were guaranteed for life anyway. The price was very high so I passed, then went 3 doors down to a Sunglass Hut store and got the same pair for less than 1/2 the price which really was a head scratcher how they could discount it so much more than the original manufacturer. Anyway, last couple pairs I did the same thing, tried a pair on to look for the right model and fit and then hunted it down for the best price. There are a lot of fakes out there so don't spend too much for the JOakleys, but you can find real ones at great prices.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback fellas...greatly appreciate it.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with Oakley. The good thing with expensive glasses is that you tend to take care of them. I keep the good ones in the truck and wear them when I know they won't get jacked up. If I am going fishing or somewhere where I may take them off and set them somewhere, I go with the cheap pair.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Yep I used to go the cheapo route, but as has been said with the expense of oakleys (mine were $110 i think) you really keep better track and care of them. I've had mine for 6 years now, same pair but have replaced the lenses as one got badly scratched (my fault) and lenses are like $60+. Still, considering the lifetime it's cheaper than continually buying cheapos.

I say go for it. I love mine and have no regrets.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only had 1 pair of expensive sunglasses in my life (smith brand) ... but i'm like you----i always lose them.

had oakley ski goggles though ... yes they are pricy .... but worth the $$ IMO.
    the lenses are fantastic quality.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakley is well worth the money. Been wearing them for years.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Thanks again guys. Will let you know what I decide.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We want pics of you modeling them to help decide
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I like oakleys but like my wiley x's much better...I've sat on them and all that and they still bounce back. Plus you can buy every single replacement part for them!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I have a pair of Oakleys and a pair of Smith Optics. I actually like the Smiths a little bit better(lens are a bit better), but they are both really good and about the same price with lifetime warranty's. Both are great for skiing, fishing, or driving but if you get Oakleys make sure they are polarized lens, not all Oakleys have them. I also have a green/red colorblindness and the Smiths help me differentiate colors better.
  • Options
    Don't just take polarized as "needed" my oakleys aren't and I am much happier the majority of the time. Then, when I need polarized I have cheapos. I'd much rather have non-polarized for day-to-day.
  • Options
    Thanks Sam...the thought of polarized versus not has been on my mind as well!
  • Options
    A few of you have mentioned a lifetime warranty. But I don't think that is still the case. 1yr limited warranty is what I have been seeing. Please correct me if I am wrong
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    A few of you have mentioned a lifetime warranty. But I don't think that is still the case. 1yr limited warranty is what I have been seeing. Please correct me if I am wrong
    Wow, can't believe they changed it. Hope we're all grandfathered in...
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I've had a pair of Oakleys for almost 11 years. I don't wear them anymore on a regular basis but I wear them on special ocassions. If you do pull the trigger on a nice pair of shades make sure you have a good case to store them in. Most damage to sunglasses happen when they are not on your face
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I wear Oakleys, mainly cause I like the style of frames. When I used to ski, I wore Vaurnet's, when I wasn't wearing Smith goggles. Vaurnets have great lenses, not even sure if there still around. Another good brand is Ray Ban, still have a pair of aviators. I keep a pair of cheapo's in my work truck.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I've had Oakley and Costa and would recommend either. I prefer the Costas I have now because they're extremely light and fit better than the Oakleys, but at the expense of being a little more fragile. Use the case and keep em clean.
  • Options
    Cigars&CoffeeCigars&Coffee Posts: 10
    Oakley's have good optics and material designed to protect your eyes, plus certain styles offer interchangeable lenses. Best of all they look cool!
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    I've been very happy with my Oakleys. I had the polarized lenses but returned them and swapped for regular lenses for a strange reason. The side window tint on both of our vehicles would cause what I would describe as 'rainbows' to appear whenever I looked out my driver's or the passenger side window at intersections, merging, etc. I found it too distracting. At the Oakley store they mentioned that was a frequent complaint. However, the polarized lenses definitely were better at reducing the glare from the dash reflected up on the wind shield. But overall I prefer the regular lenses.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys know about fake CCs right? Did you know there were lots of fake Oakley shades out there?. As with CCs, only buy from reputable verifiable source. I don't spend money on high end shades but, I used to know a guy who knew another guy that sold some nice lookin fake Oakleys.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have two pairs of Oaklys, the Juliet X metal, and whisker. I have the soft shell cases for both. I was able to score both on eBay cheaper than new, they were used but in New condition. I'd say if you do get them on eBay be careful. I also replaced the lenses with a 3rd party polorized mirrored set. I've had them for years, great shades.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Costa del mars rock!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have a pair of the original M-Frame Oakleys that are well over 12 years old and are still fantastic glasses with crystal clear lenses. So at the least those have held up to the test of time and I still love em.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are looking for a nice pair you should also look into Serengeti's and Maui Jim's as well. You will pay for both of them but I can also say that they will easily be the best pairs of glasses you'll ever have and if you take care of them they will last a lifetime.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Got me a pair of Oakley Jupiter squared...all black joints...

photo F76FA4CE-CD24-4317-89DE-B8D165AB406A_zps6llik6q3.jpg
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    YEAHHHHHHHH BOY!!!!!See I fell asleep and I had a dream It was all black everything..thing..thing..thing..
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even know what the sun looks like, let alone have sun glasses for it. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    Nice choice buddy! We got to get together again soon, it's been a long time.