Home General Discussion
Options

Long cigar?

Say I have a cigar that is to long is it acceptable to cut it in half?

Comments

• Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    I've cut a few 7" or might have been longer ones before, and have had minimal or no trouble with them, as far as "Acceptable" I don't really care what anyone thinks about things I do other then me, as long as I'm not hurting anybody soooo :P
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry about acceptable, do you. On the other hand you might miss some of the complexity of the stick because it would probably change flavor over the burn.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never tried it but I suspect that if a Churchill or presidente is cut in half with the intent of smoking both halves at separate times, the foot end will most likely unravel. Plus the possibility of the flavor profile changing, as stated earlier.....
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can cut a 5 inch robusto in half if you like short cigars. Cigars are a very subjective hobby. Everyone has different taste, style, habbits, etc. I'm sure there are people on here who would slap you for cutting a lancero in half, but if that is what you enjoy then cut away.
    Most vitolas are blended and rolled for a specific smoke, so you may not get what the manufacturer was intending to deliver.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    i like to cut them down too. the wrap can start to unravel after, but a bit of pectin or spit helps it stay in place. a well poked tooth-pick can work too and provide a nub handle.

Aj
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Don't worry about acceptable, do you. On the other hand you might miss some of the complexity of the stick because it would probably change flavor over the burn.
    +1
    I've done it before, smoked 1/2 right away and kept the other 1/2 in humi for months. The half I stored smoked fine.

Agree, not the exact same experience as smoking it "whole" but ain't nothin' wrong with this technique!
    Much better than "wasting" half of a long cigar if you won't have time to smoke it --- I got a big a$$ Gurkha that was gifted to me a couple years ago, never had time to smoke it all...this is the only way it will ever get smoked is if I cut it in half (or thirds) LOL
    dr_frankenstein56:
    i like to cut them down too. the wrap can start to unravel after, but a bit of pectin or spit helps it stay in place. a well poked tooth-pick can work too and provide a nub handle.

Aj
    +1
    Good call, AJ. Wrapper can start to unravel if you handle the "saved half" a lot. I tend to keep them on the bottom or in a separate area where they won't get moved around as much....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Technically, you can do this to any cigar. It's just doing it to a normal cigar, you might lose some complexities in flavor. Also, since the bottom half won't have a cap, the wrapper might unravel. Cutting the double-headed cigars (ex Double Happiness) would be fine with no ill effect though.

EDIT: The above post only applies if you want to split an unsmoked cigar in two. If you mean smoke the first half, then cut and save the second half for later, then yeah, it can be done without ill effect. Just make sure to blow outwards into the cigar to blow out any stale smoke.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    It would probably help things some to smoke the half without the cap first, at least then you have more holding the remainder together. Just a guess though.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    It would probably help things some to smoke the half without the cap first, at least then you have more holding the remainder together. Just a guess though.

ya know....i never thought of that.
    so simple....
    dang, i feel dumb....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Don't worry about acceptable, do you. .
    Everybody worries about what's acceptable. It's just, it's not acceptable to worry about what's acceptable, so everyone pretends that they don't.

Slobber up the uncapped part and it will stick. Yer gonna have two nubs, so twice the waste. But that's a lot better than stubbing out and re-lighting. I hate re-lighting. Course, you could always salt it away until the time you are just sitting there for a long time doing not much else anyways. A good book, a fishing trip, or such not. That would be the best solution, I think.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Technically, you can do this to any cigar. It's just doing it to a normal cigar, you might lose some complexities in flavor. Also, since the bottom half won't have a cap, the wrapper might unravel. Cutting the double-headed cigars (ex Double Happiness) would be fine with no ill effect though.

EDIT: The above post only applies if you want to split an unsmoked cigar in two. If you mean smoke the first half, then cut and save the second half for later, then yeah, it can be done without ill effect. Just make sure to blow outwards into the cigar to blow out any stale smoke.
    Thanks for bringing up the smoking second half later. I just wasn't in the mood to finish my cigar last night and let it go out without finishing at least half of it. It felt sacrilegious, but I wasn't aware I could cut it with my cutter and preserve it for later consumption. Damn I am going to try this. It has sat out for 24 hours in an ashtray, doubt it would make a candidate for resuscitation. OK I get it, don't push it. Thanks again.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    TheRakeIsReal:
    Say I have a cigar that is to long is it acceptable to cut it in half?
    Acceptable? Sure. Don't think I ever would, however. Simply save it for when you do have more time to commit and grab a shorter stick. Problem solved :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America