Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Cigars are Drugs?

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know how to embed hypertext, but I just read a story that the Beverly High School (MA) banned two students from playing in the state championship lacrosse game because they had been photographed at their high school graduation smoking cigars.

Apparently the state athletic association has a strict policy that bans alcohol and drug use by high school athletes. They say that smoking cigars is a clear violation and the school suspended the two athletes from the championship game!

Am I missing something here?

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see if it was on school property where they were smoking. I suppose the association decides what they consider a drug. Stupid move, but it's a way to get at teen tobacco use.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Here in Michigan, school zones are tobacco-free zones. Teachers can't even smoke in their cars in the school lot. So I'm assuming this is a case where the students were smoking on school grounds which was a violation. So this is really a case of students being suspended for breaking a school rule that is probably in place across the entire state. I would also assume the students were very well aware of the rule and the consequences when they smoked the cigars. So, I'm not sure how this is even a story. I could publish a news article like this every week from my school where a student smoked outside/in the bathroom/on the playground and subsequently were suspended, but I didn't think it was newsworthy. Guess I was wrong :(
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    So, I'm not sure how this is even a story. I could publish a news article like this every week from my school where a student smoked outside/in the bathroom/on the playground and subsequently were suspended, but I didn't think it was newsworthy. Guess I was wrong :(
    Here is why it was news worthy.

YankeeMan:
    banned two students from playing in the state championship lacrosse game
    I am guessing this sport you call Lacrosse is big up north? In Texas if you put the word Football where the word Lacrosse is, it would be all over the news here as well.