Home Non Cigar Related
Options

DVD players, satellite and multiple TVs.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is up with the single output on DVD players and satellite/cable receivers?
I wanted to hook up a TV to the garage and run an HDMI cable out to it.
Only one HDMI output on both the receiver and the DVD player. AND there is no input on the DVD player.
Then I thought I could maybe run a component RCA cable to the TV, as the receiver has an output for it.
Nope. If you use one, it cancels the other. WTF??
How the hell do you run a second TV off this new crap?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Splitter/switch?
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    What is up with the single output on DVD players and satellite/cable receivers?
    I wanted to hook up a TV to the garage and run an HDMI cable out to it.
    Only one HDMI output on both the receiver and the DVD player. AND there is no input on the DVD player.
    Then I thought I could maybe run a component RCA cable to the TV, as the receiver has an output for it.
    Nope. If you use one, it cancels the other. WTF??
    How the hell do you run a second TV off this new crap?
    I bought an HDMI splitter from bestbuy.goes one in to two out.forget how much it was.worked OK.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    Splitter/switch?
    That's what I'd guess too. Tried a cheap one with my att uverse box but couldn't get it to work right because of "HDCP" copy protection.

Maybe try to find one on monoprice....they usually have good deals.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a splitter on Amazon. Hopefully it will work.
    Just seems strange that you can no longer just add TVs.
    Got a new receiver for the satellite today and it has a component hookup that will work even with the HDMI hooked up, so if all else fails, I can run the RCA component cable out to the other TV.
    This was supposed to be an easy thing, but it's turned into a headache.
    And living in an area that has very few places to buy things sucks.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Bought a splitter on Amazon. Hopefully it will work.
    Just seems strange that you can no longer just add TVs.
    Got a new receiver for the satellite today and it has a component hookup that will work even with the HDMI hooked up, so if all else fails, I can run the RCA component cable out to the other TV.
    This was supposed to be an easy thing, but it's turned into a headache.
    And living in an area that has very few places to buy things sucks.
    Hey Tony, this I simply speculation but I think one of two things is goin on here..... One is that as the demand for more, bigger, better, cheaper and slimmer components come out things will gradually shift in one direction or another and having a single output is less engineering (to a point, small but still), less components, less space and less labor and therefor cost. It may only be a few dollars or a few cents even cheaper but when that figure is multiplied by thousands, tens of thousands or even higher then that starts to become a significant figure. It's just a guess but that's what I think is the main driving force behind these types of decisions. Splitter is the answer and way to go here but I do agree that it can be extremely frustrating at times, if you ever need AV help reach out ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."