Home General Discussion
Options

Bidding on cigars?

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is the deal with sites that let you bid on cigars? Seriously are people just dumb? I have been watching a certain website that does this and the prices are ridiculous. People are bidding, winning, and paying more for this stuff then they would if they just looked around the internet.

Am I missing the big picture? I have always looked for the best deals and these are not them. I think bidding causes that excitement that causes people to try to win and whatever cost.

Comments

• Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    It sounds pretty dumb to me. There's a lot of things that people end up paying a ton of cash for because they bid on it. I've never understood it.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    What is the deal with sites that let you bid on cigars? Seriously are people just dumb? I have been watching a certain website that does this and the prices are ridiculous. People are bidding, winning, and paying more for this stuff then they would if they just looked around the internet.

Am I missing the big picture? I have always looked for the best deals and these are not them. I think bidding causes that excitement that causes people to try to win and whatever cost.
    I have bought stuff from a particular web site that is all bidding....the thing is know when to bid and how to bid....if not you will end up paying the same or more for a stick/5pack/box/sampler than buying from Cigar.Com or other reputable online cigar shop. For example....i won a bid for a 20ct sampler of Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet for 34.00 bucks (5 each of all the sizes)....now i think thats a good deal. I alternate my shopping from this web site and other sites depending on what im looking for.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    AQUADGIO1200:
    jsnake:

I have bought stuff from a particular web site that is all bidding....the thing is know when to bid and how to bid....if not you will end up paying the same or more for a stick/5pack/box/sampler than buying from Cigar.Com or other reputable online cigar shop. For example....i won a bid for a 20ct sampler of Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet for 34.00 bucks (5 each of all the sizes)....now i think thats a good deal. I alternate my shopping from this web site and other sites depending on what im looking for.
    That is a good deal. I should explain my point, because I don't want it to sound like I think people are dumb for bidding. Bidding on an item to where you're well over what it retails for, and you pay that much for it, that's a bit dumb. Like you said, it's knowing what you're doing when it comes to auctions.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    AQUADGIO1200:
    jsnake:

I agree. It's all about knowing HOW to bid. It is the same with eBay... Things go good and bad there as well... I have gotten almost ALL of my purchases from bidding sites - some times the deals have been EXTRAORDINARILY cheaper than on CCOM... Unfortunately I can say that as of now I have absolutely ZERO purchases from CCOM. It simply has not been able to offer me a competitive price :/.. Customer Service is great and the few times I have called its been awesome talking to them, but... I never bought anything simply because I did not like the prices... Sorry.... So yeah - bidding sites can be good if you are a smart consumer...
  • Options
    ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I vote to kick Renaissance off the island!
  • Options
    ScottU:
    ARRRGGGHH....let him walk the plank...for the scallywag that he is....arrggg. I will buy him a 5 pack for him on this site so he can still contribute....oh wait....i cant do that, sorry Renaissance your on your own.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've bid before, the downfall of bidding is you can go through allot of money very quickly.

I use other sites and CCOM for my purchases of things that I want and KNOW I want.

I use the bid place to just throw a cheap bid out there for something that I KNOW I would smoke and if I get great, if not, I'll place another measly bid.
  • Options
    Sorry if I got on the black list for some of you but some others of you were interested in my personal opinion/experience on the topic and PMed me. I got some responses I can send your way so if you are looking for some tips and tricks and for my personal experience feel free to shoot me a PM... Cheers!
  • Options
    Renaissance_Man:
    Sorry if I got on the black list for some of you but some others of you were interested in my personal opinion/experience on the topic and PMed me. I got some responses I can send your way so if you are looking for some tips and tricks and for my personal experience feel free to shoot me a PM... Cheers!

I was only kidding, I too use other sites as well as my B&M!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ScottU:
    Renni.... The Tribe has spoken. : (
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kaspera79:
    ScottU:

Please bring us your torch ...bad renni bad renni...:(
  • Options
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:
    ScottU:

I vote for him to stay *send me sticks!!
  • Options
    *hope someone sends snake sticks of wood*
  • Options
    jsnake:
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:
    ScottU:

I vote for him to stay *send me sticks!!
    Hahaha! Ha... HA! It is not funny guys! This is serious stuff! I am deeply offended!

Seriously though... It's quite funny ;). Ima let you guys have my "torch" ;)...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Back on topic. Several months ago I won an auction for a bundle of Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet seconds churchil size for $16, 15 cigars for $16...do the math on that one. There are some great deals to be had, you just can't get caught up in the bidding frenzy.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I will admit about half of my purchases come from the bidding site. Sometimes there are deals, but sometimes there aren't. Especially new items (boxes or samplers) can go a little bid crazy. Less popular sticks, but ones you know you like (or can't find on here) are sometimes very easy to come by at a great price.

But even so, for customer service and when I know exactly what I want....I still shop here.
  • Options
    I just checked and some buy it now stuff was good and others weren't. I guess you just need to have some common sense about it if you know cigars and prices. I found a bunch of not so good deals too. What are the shipping prices like?
  • Options
    jsnake:
    I just checked and some buy it now stuff was good and others weren't. I guess you just need to have some common sense about it if you know cigars and prices. I found a bunch of not so good deals too. What are the shipping prices like?
    There are several methods of shipping (once a week or daily), but in general it is pretty good and affordable. Anywhere from 3-5 a piece... BUT if you buy several things in the same day they all ship for 5... 5-packs are even cheaper... additional shipping is like 50c... Now if you can WAIT - the best way would be to do shipping once a week. Then ALL items you bought over the week come in one huge satisfying shipment. It works best when you are about to make some big purchases. This is how I got - 2x 20ct humis, my cutter, an ashtray, herf-a-dor, 30 cigars, and hymidistat tubes in one big package for just $10 shipping... I feel there was more... hm...
  • Options
    11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

I'm commenting on this so as not to create a new thread. This will help all of us new guys on the forum that are checking out the bidding websites. This is specific to the Freefall on cigarbid.com because you can calculate the lowest price and bid on it every time.

The “drop” (the amount the price drops from its starting point to the reset) is the SAME, every time - UNLESS someone clicks Buy BEFORE the reset at which point it will reset again.
    The Starting price is what changes each time, which in turn changes the reset.

The amount that a particular item drops depends on the item. Crappy cigars will drop quite a bit, better ones less.
    So, note your item’s start price... let’s say $77.45
    Note the reset... let’s say $51.45.
    Now you know the drop will be $26.
    Now all you have to watch is the start price... using the example above, if it starts at 79.66... you’re not interested.
    If it starts at $71.20... that is one you’ll want to jot down as a potential lowest start price, which will translate to the lowest reset.

You need to watch at least 10 or more to be sure you’ll find the lowest price.

@TXCigar12 @Sampson

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.chickynugs.com, this site tracks the low price for you, saves a little time.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    11thGenSoutherner11thGenSoutherner Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    https://www.chickynugs.com, this site tracks the low price for you, saves a little time.

Badass, thank you sir!

• Options
    TXCigar12TXCigar12 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the insight.