Home Non Cigar Related
Options

You run a drive-up coffee stand???

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
I'm looking for info on costs. I've got an idea I want to work on but I need running costs and fees and whatnot so I can calculate out a budget. Help?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some guys standing on the corner waiting for people to drive up and buy something...looks free to me. But they all go away when the police drive by, very strange.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I can't tell you specifics, because the costs I know about vary by city and county, but here's the short list off the top of my head: state business license fee (pretty low, like 50 bucks or so I think, it's really easy to incorporate in Oregon), you may have a city or county business license (most cities here do not have them, but I don't know about the Metro area), your building will need to be inspected by a building inspector and then you will have to have health inspections done annually. In my city the building inspection runs 150 to 500 depending on the size of the building and health inspections are about the same depending on the number of seats.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we still lived in Ithaca, NY, there was a place that was a drive thru coffee shop, but it did not last. What was popular though was the "coffee carts". They're the trucks that sell coffee and snacks.

The drive from factory to factory and business places at specific pre-arranged times. They do very well, but you have the start up costs of all the equipment.
  • Options
    I may have to ponder the idea of a mobile unit. I haven't factored in the availability of mobility. Not sure if it will work for my idea... But I'll brainstorm possibilities.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    I may have to ponder the idea of a mobile unit. I haven't factored in the availability of mobility. Not sure if it will work for my idea... But I'll brainstorm possibilities.
    just make sure you inquire about a permit for the area you chooses to setup. Then you will be protected and untroubled from other vendors and police. Good Luck!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    When we still lived in Ithaca, NY, there was a place that was a drive thru coffee shop, but it did not last.
    +1
    I've seen a couple places like that around here but they never seemed to do well.
    My theory is that the people who want the convenience & speed of drive-thru coffee are likely going to go to one of the recognizable "big guys" that offer pastries/food too like Starbucks, McD's, Tim Hortons, etc.
    While the people that want good, fresh roasted "independent" coffee are going to either go to a local roaster and sit down inside to enjoy their cup, or brew their coffee at home.

YankeeMan:
    What was popular though was the "coffee carts". They're the trucks that sell coffee and snacks.

The drive from factory to factory and business places at specific pre-arranged times. They do very well, but you have the start up costs of all the equipment.
    Another +1
    There are a few of these that operate downtown near the large office buildings. They seem to always be busy during the week, during work hours 9-5.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All kidding aside on my part. There are a ton of BBQ operations in my area, and the buildings they use, wheeled or not, were bought from the Mennonites and are very well built. I think they are about the size you are talking about. What is nice about them is the custom work for each different vendor. We had 3 on the old property and I was amazed at the quality of construction. These were the largest they made and 1 was turned into a very nice 1 bedroom apt., better built then any trailer by a long shot, and cheaper.
  • Options
    This is tough. I know I can find several investors to get me started... I've done some canvassing of local coffee carts/drive up booths and no one is willing to give me much info without me telling them what my idea is. I can't afford for someone else to get ahold of my plans and undermining me. Grumble grumble.