Home General Discussion
Options

Are you a holder?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
I've come across a few people recently In the local cigar community... That have a cigar to just hold. They never cut or smoke it... They just hold it and occasionally chew on the end. Wtf???? What's the appeal? They aren't high end sticks either.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Good friend of mine used them to stop chewing tobacco. Another farmer I know goes through boxes of monte 2 straight from Cuba....never smokes them. Chews on them all day, and I mean several boxes a month...
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Good friend of mine used them to stop chewing tobacco. Another farmer I know goes through boxes of monte 2 straight from Cuba....never smokes them. Chews on them all day, and I mean several boxes a month...
    Man, you should cut off the last 2" for him to chew on and then smoke the front 4.2 yourself!

Personally, I'm not a holder but I see it quite a lot. Actually, I don't really like the feel of a cigar in my mouth and I have difficulty going no-handed. It usually ends up getting in my eyes and down my lungs and I have a watery eyed chest compression attack. I think I'm as far from holding as you can get.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When my brother and I used to go to our local car auction there was another dealer who showed up frequently. He'd unwrap a Churchill (don't know what brand) and stick it as far back as he could between his cheek and his teeth. It stayed there all day, unlit, but every time you saw him it was shorter. There wasn't much left by the end of the day. Can't imagine what pleasure he must have gotten from that but at least he could say he didn't smoke..... :-)
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never been on the side of chew. Heck I've never smoked anything other than the occasional cigars. So i guess it makes sense to gnaw on a stick instead of chew.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I would say that i like to hold my cigar in my hand... cant really teeth clench many cigars just because its fairly uncomfortable outside of a lancero. Im not big on sitting it in the ash tray or using the stogie stand unless im snapping pics. Im kinda the same way with drinking too, gotta have the glass in my hand the whole time!

Aj
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    My brother-in-law doesn't smoke them he chews them like Skoal. I thought he was a little off, but I guess he has company. Weird if you ask me, but different strokes I suppose.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have seen a few chew em. On my way to FL in an airport say a guy with a double perfecto in his cheek. Never heard of anyone just holding em! I guess for the look :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    sounds like a waste of a cigar to me.
  • Options
    ThreadJacker3000ThreadJacker3000 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I'm a midnight stroker
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    I would say that i like to hold my cigar in my hand... cant really teeth clench many cigars just because its fairly uncomfortable outside of a lancero. Im not big on sitting it in the ash tray or using the stogie stand unless im snapping pics. Im kinda the same way with drinking too, gotta have the glass in my hand the whole time!

Aj
    same with me, rarely set my cigar down.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just started doing this at work.cant smoke inside so ill smoke outside,cut the cherry off and kepp it in my mouth for awhile .kinda hoping to keep it from drying out before i can smoke it again.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe just habit, notice a lot of smokers use their pens at work and meetings the same way. One even flicks it like a cigarette. I can hold a cigar in my mouth pre-light but after lighting usually not for long. Tend to duck-ass it and it gets all wet and yucky pretty quick.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Here in Tennessee this was fairly common when I was young. When "Backwoods" came into being, I just assumed that it was made for these guys. I bought a round of "Smokey Mountain Sweets" that lasted me a couple years, smoked them while bush-hogging. Tasted something like Levi Garrett chewing tobacco. Not a bad smoke, either, haven't seen them in a few years now.

As for standing around with an unlit cigar in my hand? That just means I'm looking for a light. Those guys seem like poseurs to me. As Curtpick is quoted as saying: "Get lit, Son!"
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I like taking my cigars with me when I am out...sometimes I just keep it in my mouth and sometimes I just hold it and then later will light it up and smoke it. Maybe it's just the idea of knowing it will be smoked at some point during the day but sometimes I just keep it in my mouth while riding my motorcycle...then light it later while riding. Not sure why this is such a comfort for some of us...but it is so....we do it.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThreadJacker3000:
    I'm a midnight stroker
    TMI !

Some people call me the space cowboy ..... yeaaahhhh

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Before a smoke a cigar a may hold it for a bit, cut it, and take a few pulls on it before i light it to enjoy some of the pre-light flavors but i don't just chew on it all damn day. Not my thing.