Home Non Cigar Related

iPhone 4 question...

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
On a previous thread somewhere I read that someone had cleared up a problem they'd been having with their Yahoo email account by deleting the account and re-installing it. If that someone was you or you know who it was, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you. I've got a few questions about that process and whether it may clear up a problem I'm currently having.

Thanks, guys..... :-/)

Comments

• Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    People use Yahoo email still?
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beaker38:

I'm a people......
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Beaker38:

I'm a people......
    Me too
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Beaker38:
    I can top that!

My email still ends with...... @aol.com
    Lol! All very interesting, guys, but not helping me with my problem.... :-)

C'mon, now, I know at least one of you BOTLs knows the answer I'm looking for. Step right up and help an oldfart solve a troublesome issue....
    I hate it when kids these days complain about how slow the internet is. I then tell them if they ever had AOL. I remember it taking like 20 minutes to load a game and that was on a good day... And i cannot help you with your question use Gmail.
    Beaker38:
    I hate it when kids these days complain about how slow the internet is. I then tell them if they ever had AOL. I remember it taking like 20 minutes to load a game and that was on a good day... And i cannot help you with your question use Gmail.

Thanks, but after using a given email account for years can you imagine the effort and hassle involved in switching and notifying all your contacts, business connections, etc.?

I think I'll just wait a bit. Eventually the person who posted the information I'm looking for will notice this thread (I hope) and reply. Meanwhile, thanks for your input and have a great day, Bro......
    Hey you can always have your old email address forward the emails you get to a new email address and if you get a new one get a Gmail account.
    Beaker38:
    Hey you can always have your old email address forward the emails you get to a new email address and if you get a new one get a Gmail account.

I've looked at Gmail but didn't find it impressive. What features would make it better than Yahoo mail?
    Google drive is one of the best things to offer. it is the cloud service of Google which gives me 15 gigs of free storage. i use Google to take videos of documents/ photos off my phone and save them on my account that would normally be to big to email. gmail allows you to sort your emails out by subjects if you want. there is also a calender YouTube. just try it out if you don't like it just get rid of it. i personally love it. i have had a gmail account for over 6 years and i have only filled 2% of that 15 gigs. if you have any other questions just ask me
    Beaker38:
    Google drive is one of the best things to offer. it is the cloud service of Google which gives me 15 gigs of free storage. i use Google to take videos of documents/ photos off my phone and save them on my account that would normally be to big to email. gmail allows you to sort your emails out by subjects if you want. there is also a calender YouTube. just try it out if you don't like it just get rid of it. i personally love it. i have had a gmail account for over 6 years and i have only filled 2% of that 15 gigs. if you have any other questions just ask me

I'll sure keep that in mind. I don't have a need for much more than email but one never knows. Thanks for the input, my friend.....
    the only bad thing i can see that google has done is google +. its like facebook but not as popular.
    With me, all that social media stuff is bleeaaahh..... I'm a retired oldfart but I don't have enough time to keep up with that nonsense..... Lol
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    cleared up a problem they'd been having with their Yahoo email account by deleting the account and re-installing it.
    Have you tried this yet? It’s what I do any time I have any problems with any app on my iPhone 4S. However I have not had a problem with my AOL email so I am not speaking from exact experience your looking for.
    FireRob:
    jlmarta:
    cleared up a problem they'd been having with their Yahoo email account by deleting the account and re-installing it.
    Have you tried this yet? It’s what I do any time I have any problems with any app on my iPhone 4S. However I have not had a problem with my AOL email so I am not speaking from exact experience your looking for.

I tried it twice after first trying a Yahoo workaround I was told of by 0Patience. Neither solved my problem but at least I now know that deleting and re-adding my yahoo mail account doesn't lose my contacts, calendars, etc.

I guess I'll just live with this minor but annoying problem. Can't seem to find a way to make it go away.....
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you re-add the account on your iPhone, are you selecting the "Yahoo" or "Other" option:

If you haven't done so already, try the "Other" option and follow the steps listed HERE CLICKY CLICK for Instructions

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

I chose the yahoo option before but I followed the instructions in that primary workaround. If I choose the "other" option after I've already deleted my yahoo account, is there a chance that I'll lose my contacts, etc. ? That's my biggest fear. And I'm out of town until Sunday evening so I don't have access to my PC to do a backup of my phone before I try this....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Marty, perhaps I missed it but what problem are you having?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I chose the yahoo option before but I followed the instructions in that primary workaround. If I choose the "other" option after I've already deleted my yahoo account, is there a chance that I'll lose my contacts, etc. ? That's my biggest fear. And I'm out of town until Sunday evening so I don't have access to my PC to do a backup of my phone before I try this....
    I've had to do the "Other" option on my iPhone for my Gmail account before, I don't think I lost my contacts but it's been a while since I had to set it up this way....

I always backed up before doing this though, I would think you'll be fine but can't say 100%, would hate to see you lose any info,

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

james40:
    Marty, perhaps I missed it but what problem are you having?

Whenever I go to check my yahoo email I get dialog boxes. One says the connection to the server failed. The next one asks for my password. And the third is a repeat of the first one.

I can click on "OK" for the first and third and I click on "cancel" to get rid of the second one. I shouldn't have to do this and it happens every time I try to access my email. This has only recently started happening and is, of course, unnecessary and annoying.