Home General Discussion
Options

Gurkha black beauty

Hey to all,
 My first post.  I've been enjoying various Churchill cigars over the last year or so. Overruns, clearance  and specials.

My favorite so far has been the Gurkha overrun 7x50 habano. I  just took a chance on the Gurkha black beauty's 6.5 x 56  for something different.

Two smoked of  a mazo and I regret not going back to the habanos.

I hope they improve in the humi.

Great value not much satisfaction.

Thoughts from the forum?

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Johnny O:
    Hey to all,
     My first post.  I've been enjoying various Churchill cigars over the last year or so. Overruns, clearance  and specials.

My favorite so far has been the Gurkha overrun 7x50 habano. I  just took a chance on the Gurkha black beauty's 6.5 x 56  for something different.

Two smoked of  a mazo and I regret not going back to the habanos.

I hope they improve in the humi.

Great value not much satisfaction.

Thoughts from the forum?
    Welcome aboard! My only thought is 'that's a Gurkha.' My other thought is you need to expand your horizons. If you like habano wrappers, the San Lotano Habano immediately comes to mind, as well as the Man o War Ruination and the Flor de las Antillas.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Try the new PDR Small Batch Habano. Really good smoke and a good price point as well.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Johnny O! Give ccom a call..they will hook you up according to your likes...mild, medium, full..ETC Gurkha's can be hit or miss. Thousands of cigars out there...the journey has begun. Welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Most people on this forum aren't fans of Gurkhas. Including me. So you won't get any good reviews on them. Try other lines and see what you may like. I say go for Oliva. Try the different blends and see what works for you.
  • Options
    Johnny_OJohnny_O Posts: 3
    Hey folks,

Just an update. I may have been a little too quick on my first impression of these cigars.

With some time in the humidor and learning what they like.  The first few I smoked I used a punch and the wrapper would  crack in  strange ways. Then I started using a cutter  and licking the wrapper down. They have performed well.  I don't know if it's kosher, but it has worked for me. They are better than I thought.

Johnny O
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    we all know my opinion on gurkhas...

so
    my advice, if you want to try something different, is to get away from that brand. there are so many options out there and sticking with one brand will seriously limit your options. plus the inconsistency that is Gurkha leaves me wanting more.
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Quite a few of us don't like gurkhas. Since you like habanos you should try:

MoW Ruination
    Cain F
    Gran Habano
    Diesel unlimited
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha gurhka ugh no your lucky they all didn't blow up! As in terms of bad taste yup gurhka lol in terms of aging them IMO taking up space for actually good smokes!! I know they went to pdr's factory but my thoughts on pdr is eh so to each their own
    Money can't buy taste