Home Cigar 101
Options

wrapped or naked

2»

Comments

• Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Always practice safe fondling guys, always.
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    I have 20 sticks with cello on it looking to by some stick that will be in a box and no cello should that be a concern when putting them in my humidor? having naked and wrapped in the same humidor?
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I have naked and wrapped mixed in my humi's, they get along fine. I try and keep them together as much as I can by brand then strength, naked with naked. Probably 1/3 of my stock is naked now. Used to un-cello everything but trying cello on now for a while to see if there's any difference. No problem mixing them though. If you humi has a divider maybe put them in their own space together. Clothing optional humi, hmmmm, like that idea. And always fondle your stick gently wrapped or un-wrapped
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mental image of Curly Joe standing naked in front of a humi is really disturbing. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    I got a 100 ct humidor with three draws so I will keep them separated thank for the input :)
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    The mental image of Curly Joe standing naked in front of a humi is really disturbing. LOL!

Agreed, that would be disturbing. Just saw a post of Morgan's Gurkha hit from Wayne showing his bare feet, now I wonder, lol
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Holden:
    thanks, would love a reply regarding humidity: here in the mountains of western Colorado the humidity is in the single digits, very dry, so I tend to store my sticks w/o cello so they can actually get some humidity, otherwise they tend to be drier, more brittle and unwrap easily. Anyone else from a very dry climate wish to comment?
    I'm from the humid south but, I'd like to comment LOL. Even down here we get some dry humidity days on occasion. I do most all my smoking outdoors. (Until I get my den/spare bedroom set up with some ventilation) A while back I asked a question here about outdoor humidity and why I was smoking sticks that would get badly crack wrappers when smoked in low outdoor humidity. And conversely, why some cigars wouldn't stay lit during high humidity. The general consensus among the botl here on the forum was to reduce the RH in my humidors from 70% to around 65%. This has helped but not eliminated my weather related problems. Some guys suggested "dry boxing" cigars that won't stay lit in an effort to make them stay lit better. The thing is that each cigar is unique. They are all different and will react in additionally diverse ways according to the RH in which they are stored and the RH in which they are smoked. Some Cameroon wrappers in particular will crack often (seems like always).

I realize that you didn't give us many details as to your particular experience but it sounds to me like you may be having problems occur while you are smoking in low RH environment. And I'll assume that your humidors has a tight seal and is not struggling to maintain proper humidity during times of low ambient humidity. So what about the cello? Storing your sticks with cello will not prevent humidity from getting to your cigars. I believe what you may be experiencing in what you describe as dry and brittle cigars could just be your cigars reacting to the quick change in RH when they are removed from their humidors and then smoked in a much different RH. (either much higher or much lower) Try dry boxing one of the sticks that has given you trouble in the past. Or try acclimating the cigar for a few hours by leaving it out in the area where you plan to smoke. With both methods this let's the cigar wrapper in particular "acclimate" to it's new RH and hopefully it will burn better and/ or hopefully won't crack. Also if you are storing your cigars at 70% RH, try 65%.
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    I have found that it really depends on how long you intend to wait on smoking the cigar. If you buy a cello'd cigar and tend on throwing it in with the general population in your high rotation humi (i.e. with the intention of smoking within 6 months), then yes, leave it cello'd. It will serve as protection from your fingers, from mixing flavors, and from RH spikes. You can also clip the flappy end of the cello as close to the foot of the cigar as you can get if you are really OCD about air flow. If you plan on aging the cigar, then take it out of the cello and age it in the box it came.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    I used to always wrap. Then I got a vasectomy.