Home General Discussion
Options

tubos and mold.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since this came up and I've had tons of problems with aluminum tubos, it struck me that I've never had any problems with "crystal"/glass tube cigars.
Could it be that since aluminum is prone to condensation that it is condensing on the tubo and actually drawing the moisture into the tube and over humidifying the cigar?

So I borrowed a moisture meter and found that the inside of the aluminum tube was 5 percent higher than the surrounding area.

Anyone got any ideas?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts exactly Tony. My guess is the rh is higher in the tubo given the cedar wrap. Maybe the cedar wrap holds the rh close to the wrapper which creates a wetter wrapper. Either way, Habanos SA does not recommend storing their cigars in tubos. The tubo is meant as a means to transport a cigar, not store it. I had this debate with a well known manufacturer tht will remain nameless. Their rep swore that with proper storage mold will never happen in a tubo. He sent me 8. All 8 had mold, directly from their state of the art humidified storage whatever they have he spoke of. Let's just say he didn't return my email with the pics of the cigars covered in mold.... Tubos can suck it.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just been removing the caps on the 3x3s that I have. Took several out of the tubes at first, but don't like to have them in the humi naked. I tend to rummage through looking for a specific stick and they are never on the top when I want them. (Same reason many leave the cellos on.) If I ever find mold on one that has been left in the tube with the cap off, I will definitely remove all of them from the tubes
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the only time i have ever had mold on tubes is from Cuban cigars.

i cant speak for everyone else and what they have had issues with in the past, but i for one have had no real problem with tubes from manufacturers outside of Cuba
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Tubo's are great, and often gorgeous to look at...however, I won't store in them. I keep them, for times when maybe I want to take just 1 cigar with me somewhere, so I don't have to carry my 5ct herfador. I do however, dislike having naked sticks in my humi. #1stWorldProblems
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    the only time i have ever had mold on tubes is from Cuban cigars.

i cant speak for everyone else and what they have had issues with in the past, but i for one have had no real problem with tubes from manufacturers outside of Cuba
    This has been my experience as well. Every couple months I'll check out all my tubos, but I never find anything. Maybe I'm just lucky? I have had tubos sent to me that had mold upon arrival, but I've never encountered it after it has come into my possession. Hopefully, I can continue to say this for years to come because I LOVE my tubos!!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Weird, I don't see how a Cuban tubo would be different then any other. Obviously it could be storage from where ever they came from really. Personally I think the cedar wrap has the biggest influence on the mold.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the area you live in may have some impact on this too.
    I live on the Oregon coast, where it is wet most the time and keeping RH down is more of a problem than anything else.
    Folks in the lower humidity areas may not see mold as much.

I've only had a sign of mold on 2 cigars outside of tubos and that was a 1916 and a Fuente with cedar sleeves and both of those came from the same place, so I attributed it to the vendor who sold them.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Oh I always check any cigars I buy with sleeves or tubos. I normally shy away form buying them because it pretty much is their (supplier) storage. However, I have had a few tubos in the past get it in my wineador and I keep that sucker at 60-62. Made no sense really. I do not buy many NC with them, but I can remember and Avo and a Fuente having that issue back in the day before I started pulling cigars out of tubos, cedar sleeves, paper wraps, etc...