Home Cigar 101
Options

Buying a humidor

2»

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    Yeah, I'll also be shipping a tuppador or two. So the better the seal the better shape they will be in when they get over here. And I'm guessing they are easier to maintain if you don't go in/out of them a lot.
    Actually Andy thats the only downside of tupperdors bc they seal so well they don't breate at all so you need to open them every once in a while to let the stale air out. A friend of mine came up with a really good idea that I'm probably going to implement on mine. poking a series of pinholes in the lid of the tupperdor and then putting medical tape over top of that. Medical tape is designed to breathe a little but hold in liquid, very interesting. So in theory it should allow a little air exchange without letting out too much humidity.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thats a cool idea. I dont know how useful it will actually be though. inless you dont open the tupperdor for well over a month i dont see the air exchange thing being much of a problem.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    That's a great idea. But out here it is so dry that the water will have to be replaced at least monthly. With that happening the air should circulate enough. Back home it would be usefull, here I think it would be counter-productive. We will see though, I will try it if it needs it.
  • Options
    Bad Andy:
    That's a great idea. But out here it is so dry that the water will have to be replaced at least monthly. With that happening the air should circulate enough. Back home it would be usefull, here I think it would be counter-productive. We will see though, I will try it if it needs it.
    I agree with both of you guys that it shouldn't be necessary for a humi thats used regularly but the buddy and I were discussing long term storage solutions and it actually started bc he was going to leave the spout open on his coolerador then he started thinking about putting medical tape over the spout. Then we got real scientific and figured out that most of the gases emitted by cigars weigh less than O2 so the holes would need to be in the lid. IDK if thats useful but it gives you an insight into our thought processes.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    Then we got real scientific and figured out that most of the gases emitted by cigars weigh less than O2 so the holes would need to be in the lid.
    Really? That's surprising. What gases do cigars emit?
  • Options
    Apparently Ammonia, Hydrogen and Carbon Monoxide or Dioxide one or the other, can't remember. Anyways those are the main ones. according to his research I haven't done it on my own.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Apparently Ammonia, Hydrogen and Carbon Monoxide or Dioxide one or the other, can't remember. Anyways those are the main ones. according to his research I haven't done it on my own.
    oh no. global warming. must stop all biological prosceses!!!
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    oh no. global warming. must stop all biological prosceses!!!
    Ok I missed this one! Huh?
  • Options
    50% of the gases you listed are greehouse gasses. im not sure about ammonia though, so it gould be 75%.

i could use some global warming. I like warm weather. I wonder if we can get a global breeze too... sounds nice.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    50% of the gases you listed are greehouse gasses. im not sure about ammonia though, so it gould be 75%.

i could use some global warming. I like warm weather. I wonder if we can get a global breeze too... sounds nice.
    Ahhh yea we're touching on a subject I know nothing about. Gases, ozone, etc.
  • Options
    i dont wanna go into it anyway. Its all just political BS if you ask me. again, i got into cigars to get away from BS. I dont wanna taint cigars with that.

with a feexceptions but im not in the mood for political talk right now.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Those make sense. Except for hydrogen. I'd be surprised if cigars are putting off raw hydrogen. And CO2 is heavier than O2, obviously. I would've thought there'd be more of the volatile organics in a cigar's waste gases, too, most of which would be heavier than O2.

Anyway, holes in the top. Yeah, that should work better, regardless. Takes better advantage of the convection currents in the room.
  • Options
    Kuzi said "taint." insert Beavis & Butthead laugh here
  • Options
    urbino:
    Kuzi said "taint." insert Beavis & Butthead laugh here
    i just made a simaler joke in another thread.
  • Options
    Great minds...
  • Options
    great minds?
    WHERE?
  • Options
    None here.

I'm sure there is more to it than those urbs just a starting point, I talked to my buddy again tonight I think he's decided to tape the spout AND poke holes in the top for circulation.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Well...with the time differance I miss all the banter. I thik these tuppadors will be open aften enough not worry about stale air. Hell, I gotta get these things filled up first. I'm aiming for about 100 smokes through donations so we will see. Still a few weeks till I get home to set it all up.
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    I was thinking of turning my whole basement into a humidor so atleast part of my house will be a humidor what do you all think?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Sounds like an expensive project... have you thought about building a smaller walk-in with a portion of your basement?
  • Options
    yeah thats the plan it never goes above 70 degrees down there and i dont need a whole basement just a section i just like the thought of the whole basement.
  • Options
    dont just start building. If you are gunna do it, do it right. learn EVERYTHING you can about it. You can ask the Capt about it. I think he has a good sized halk in in his house.
  • Options
    I did not plan on jumping into it i was gonna do alot of research first but thats a long term goal of mine seeing as iam new to the cigar world. but i found a 400ct to work well for me.