Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Shake well.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, these questions are for just the really smart guys ;)

I'm fixin' my coffee this mornin' and these questions start to bug me. So I thought I'd share.

I like my morning coffee. Sometimes black. Usually with half and half. The half and half has a long self life. Much longer than milk.

Why would it last longer?

The half and half has a "shake well" instruction on the carton. It doesn't say "shake well before use" and it doesn't say "shake well often" and it doesn't say "shake well every time you pick up the carton".

How often is shaking is needed? Once? Every time? (I know, first world problem.)

I'm sure there's some settling of the contents but, how often you would need to shake would depend on how fast it settles, right? I hate vague instructions. Kind of like "salt to taste", which in my case usually means "salt until you realize you've added too much salt".

Comments

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say every time you pick it up shake that baby. I always do. Nothing highly intelligent to back my thought up.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob ole boy, I don't want you to take this wrong because you are a great guy

I am going to send you some of my meds, green on top. Now, don't take the ones that are white on top.

I know you have been going through some busy and hectic times and I figure this is the best way to help.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Lmfao!!!!! This made my morning! :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably "Ultra pasteurized". Very high temps, provide longer shelf life. Being in the ice cream business, thats based on some knowledge. We make our mix from scratch, and pastuerize at standard temps 155 degrees hold for a half hour. We can hold it for about 2 weeks at the most. Don't know a thing about the shaking though! Charlie
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shook my head after I read this!! Pretty interesting tho brother.LOL.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    For some reason this thread reminds me of the Sopranos:

Maybe you should shake it "some".

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    It's half milk, half cream. The milk is less dense so it sits on top of the cream. At least I think that's the right way, could be the other way around. Think oil and vinegar but less extreme. More like a black and tan, but who the hell shakes that? No one, that's who. No one worth talking to. Where was I? Oh yeah, so it separates. So shake it, then pour, so you get roughly half milk, half cream. Like you would for your salad. Unless you want all oil. Or milk. Or cream, maybe. Whichever sits on top.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that kind of like the "take as needed" on prescriptions?
    What if you're not sure if you really need them yet, but take them and realize you didn't really need them?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    You shake it to mix both half&half's together and get a morning workout too. Yup, every time. Yeah think it is usually cream and milk mixed. They say the cream rises to the top, who ever they are. Use light cream myself and the date is usually over a month out when I buy it, lasts forever. Lot longer than milk. I even shake my milk too. Now mull over jumbo shrimp, hmmm
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half&Half lasting so long is a modern marvel of food technology, and I like it. I've wondered too why it outlasts milk by weeks. They are both pasteurized.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I am going to send you some of my meds, green on top. Now, don't take the ones that are white on top.
    But what if he takes them out of the bottle upside down??
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    ArmyS1GuyArmyS1Guy Posts: 34
    The little single serve cups of creamer say this also. Like it won't get mixed when your stir your coffee.

On another note, the milk over here in Afghanistan is "shelf stable" and doesn't need refrigeration until opened. The stuff in the DFAC now expires in November.